Square pot vs round

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombtombadll

Reaction score
I'm stuck in a very small grow space, 1.5x1.5. I had great luck using a 3 gallon round cloth pot last grow and am wondering if square cloth pots have any disadvantages? I think I might be able to squeeze two square 3 gallon pots into my grow space but thought I'd check first. Apparently, square pots hold more soil per inches of space. Will square pots cause problems with root circling, root bound etc?

I know this is a silly question, and I'm betting there is no difference between round and square other than space advantages. Square cloth pots seem to be relatively rare with most of the vendors as well, I'm just wondering why?

I'm stuck in a very small grow space, 1.5x1.5. I had great luck using a 3 gallon round cloth pot last grow and am wondering if square cloth pots have any disadvantages? I think I might be able to squeeze two square 3 gallon pots into my grow space but thought I'd check first. Apparently, square pots hold more soil per inches of space. Will square pots cause problems with root circling, root bound etc?

I know this is a silly question, and I'm betting there is no difference between round and square other than space advantages. Square cloth pots seem to be relatively rare with most of the vendors as well, I'm just wondering why?
I use square plastic pots from time to time. matter of fact am using some right now. They are 1 gallon and I use them for veg and sometimes flower with no issues

I use square plastic pots from time to time. matter of fact am using some right now. They are 1 gallon and I use them for veg and sometimes flower with no issues

I can't go with plastic, I had terrible luck with Fox Farm soil and plastic pots. If I water to light drainage, it can take almost a week to dry out. This causes huge problems for me. Watering lightly helps, but I'm a newbie and there is a very high risk of over watering using plastic, even if you try not to over water, been there, done that. Anyway, cloth seems great for newbies, you get your dry days much quicker and can water/feed more often. You can also place a fan on the pot to help dry out as needed. I'm watering every 2-3 days in cloth which is just about right, one day really wet, one day with medium wetness, and a third day relatively dry. Oddly, my plants really seem to love the third "dry" day. They really perk up when the water is almost completely out of the soil.

You guys might think I'm crazy, but I am very anal with my watering technique. (Not that kind the other kind). I use a scale to weigh my soil and know exactly how much water is in the soil by weight. I know this is a bit overboard, but I got sick of guessing and sticking my finger in the soil.

I can't go with plastic, I had terrible luck with Fox Farm soil and plastic pots. If I water to light drainage, it can take almost a week to dry out. This causes huge problems for me. Watering lightly helps, but I'm a newbie and there is a very high risk of over watering using plastic, even if you try not to over water, been there, done that. Anyway, cloth seems great for newbies, you get your dry days much quicker and can water/feed more often. You can also place a fan on the pot to help dry out as needed. I'm watering every 2-3 days in cloth which is just about right, one day really wet, one day with medium wetness, and a third day relatively dry. Oddly, my plants really seem to love the third "dry" day. They really perk up when the water is almost completely out of the soil.

You guys might think I'm crazy, but I am very anal with my watering technique. (Not that kind the other kind). I use a scale to weigh my soil and know exactly how much water is in the soil by weight. I know this is a bit overboard, but I got sick of guessing and sticking my finger in the soil.
I understand. I started out using FFOF but it wasn't for me. Switched to Coast of Maine Organic and have not looked back,. I use fabric in flower also

I understand. I started out using FFOF but it wasn't for me. Switched to Coast of Maine Organic and have not looked back,. I use fabric in flower also

DAM! glad I caught you, my local nursery tried to lean me away from FFOF and recommended Coast Of Maine Platinum. Of course I didn't listen and my plant got roasted to hell its entire grow. I saved 10 bucks on soil, and lost half my harvest, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB. Second grow I moved to Happy Frog and it was great. I may mix my remaining FFOF with Happy frog, but may just dump it and start with Coast of Maine instead. The FFOF makes me nervous, who knows what's going on with that soil! How has the coast of Maine worked out for you? Any bugs?

it really doesn’t matter plant wise

at least not in small grows

there will be hardly any noticeable difference in weight or quality

space is your concern so pick what works for you

DAM! glad I caught you, my local nursery tried to lean me away from FFOF and recommended Coast Of Maine Platinum. Of course I didn't listen and my plant got roasted to **** its entire grow. I saved 10 bucks on soil, and lost half my harvest, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB. Second grow I moved to Happy Frog and it was great. I may mix my remaining FFOF with Happy frog, but may just dump it and start with Coast of Maine instead. The FFOF makes me nervous, who knows what's going on with that soil! How has the coast of Maine worked out for you? Any bugs?
I have not come across any. I love the coast of maine. I top dress with Build a soil craft blend and earth worm castings, and water with recharge every 3rd watering or so. works out perfect. All the plants in my journal have been/ are being grown in COM

I have not come across any. I love the coast of maine. I top dress with Build a soil craft blend and earth worm castings, and water with recharge every 3rd watering or so. works out perfect. All the plants in my journal have been/ are being grown in COM

Cool, I'll have to get some. Sadly, the growers in my area have caught on and the Coast of Maine is in high demand. Must be good stuff. Drainage good?

Very good drainage. And yes I have noticed that also hard to find around here also. But you can go on their website or amazon

Build a soil Craft blend and EWC

Yeah, I'm new to this hobby and already have created a soil bin and a compost in my backyard. (I go way over-board with my hobbies') I'm working some crappy FFOF soil now to see if I can fix it.

Very good drainage. And yes I have noticed that also hard to find around here also. But you can go on their website or amazon

I'm going to try it, I'm in between grows now and have time to order. Thanks !

Add Perlite if you have drainage problems. I mix 30% Perlite in my MG soil and she drains great. Plus I use AC Infinity Fabric Pots which also helps with drainage.

Add Perlite if you have drainage problems. I mix 30% Perlite in my MG soil and she drains great. Plus I use AC Infinity Fabric Pots which also helps with drainage.

I added around 25% perlite last grow and it helped a lot.

Latest posts

Back