Starting my first grow with Blue Kush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi THG, I put them into 5 inch wide containers. You're saying that is still to large? Those were the smallest pots the Garden Center had for sale. Not sure what smaller ones there are. Or where to get them.

I will post a picture when I get home so you can see.

Keef, you got it buddy and thanks so much for the offer.

Right now though, GO ASTROS!!!

Ok, they didn't have any, oh well. I guess I know for next time...

I like to start in solo cups with drain holes in the bottom. I transplant when they are as big as the cup. I have good results this way.

Hey all. When I got home from work i checked and all 4 plants had sprouted and were pushing up against the saran wrap. I took the wrap off and put them into the tent. The temps in the tent aren't right though. They climbed to the 85 degrees and the humidity was around 40%, I thought I had a handle in this because the other night I did s test of the tent with no plants and I was able to bring the temps down to high 70s by spraying water from my spray bottle. This would also bring the humidity to the low 60% range. So I thought i just needed to get a humidifier. The only one I found local to me was at Wal-Mart. But it does not seem to be doing much. Since it has been on the temps are still around 84 and the humidity is about 43%

Do I need to get a better humidifier or is there something else I can be doing?

Thanks

How are you exhausting the warm air from the tent? If it is just going back into the room, raising the humidity isn’t going to help much(though you do need the rh to be higher than 40%). You need to cool the room your tent is in. Window air conditioner maybe? If temps outside are low enough, opening a window may work. Or duct the warm air outside.

I am exhausting the air out through the window. I have the AC set at 74 in my house. Not sure I can get it any lower given how warm it's been here. A cold front is moving in on Monday. The temps will drop into the low 60s by then. Hopefully that will help the problem. I made a few picture of the tent in the room. Any suggestions?

IMG_20191005_070343.jpg IMG_20191005_070352.jpg IMG_20191005_070418.jpg IMG_20191005_070436.jpg IMG_20191005_070453.jpg IMG_20191005_070457.jpg

The humidity has gotten a little better over the night. Maybe it just takes a while for it to build up.

IMG_20191005_071609.jpg

I had a similar issue during the summer. My tent is in my basement so unless I get a portable ac I am stuck with the ambient temps. Exhausting outdoors wasn’t helping me either. I think the sprouts will be happy at 82 degrees. Just keep an eye on the soil. Keep the soil moist but not drenched until the plants are established. Then you are going to want to have a good wet/dry cycle.

Yeah, I think growing is gonna be a seasonal thing for me. It was over 100 out every day just a few weeks ago. I don't know what it would take to get temps under 85 then, no less the mid-70s. As we head into the winter time it should get easier.

I took a shot of the baby girls this morning. 3 of 4 seem to be doing well. Much better than even 6 hours ago. Unfortunately, one got knocked down when I tried to water them last. But even that one is starting get back up again.

IMG_20191005_073619.jpg
IMG_20191005_073627.jpg

You are off and running. The sprouts are pretty ‘leggy’ at this point. A (very)gentle breeze from an oscillating fan would be good. Does your light have 2 switches? If there are and there is a veg and grow switch, I’d use just the veg for now(I’d think the light would look bluer). I find bluer(higher color temperature measured in Kelvin) keeps my plants squatter.

O.F. is right, Also i lower the light a little everyday until im at full blast by the end of week one. 84 degrees is acceptable for vegging plants. Dont let them get too far above 86 for very long. When its time to flower, i like to be in mid to high 70s.
You may be sucking all the humidity out of your tent, i dont think an r.h. in the mid 40s is too bad. You can always spray the leaves in veg every few days or so. I actually prefer low humidity during flower as it alleviates some issues such and mold and bud rot.

Agree that low rh in flower is needed. There is something called vapor pressure deficit and there is a range in rh vs temp charts where transpiration is optimized. I shoot for being in range but my setup isn’t sophisticated enough to get it locked in. I do notice more vigorous growth when I luck out and an in range...

I live in a costal swamp estuary, so rh is always on the high side. I get crazy growth rates in veg and problems in flower.

In aero the water and air are separated with the roots inside the box being sprayed off and on 15 minutes at a time -- I get no humidity spike from watering - cause I don't water -- if humidity is too low I expose water to room air -- I use the lid on my RO res. as a humidity valve -- Too humid I close the lid --need humidity higher open the lid more !--
a neoprene collar around the stem separates wet from dry !-- U a pot farmer now Do !--

The sprouts got a little leggy because they had broken the surface probably Friday morning and I did not get home from work until after 6 that evening so they spent all day in total darkness. When I got home they were physically pushing up against the saran wrap I had over the pots. Taking the saran wrap off is when that one fell over. But I think they will recover.

I also checked with the Mars web site and you can relocate the light driver so that it is out of the tent. But you need to order a special wire from them to do that. I emailed them for the wire kit today. I think getting the driver out of the tent will help with the heat.

Does your light have 2 switches? If there are and there is a veg and grow switch, I’d use just the veg for now(I’d think the light would look bluer). I find bluer(higher color temperature measured in Kelvin) keeps my plants squatter.

It does not look like this light has any switches on it. It does have a way to adjust the watt output though. But it is a little bit of a process. You need to remove the driver from the light and use a screwdriver and power meter to do the adjustment. I think from the factory it is set at 250w. Is this something I should do?

Here is a short video showing how to make the adjustment.

No. That won’t change the color temperature just the output. Some LEDs have a veg switch and a flower switch. That is why I asked. Moving the light closer slowly like lesso suggested will lessen the leggieness too.

That light is full spectrum. Good for flower and veg.

OK I do not have to worry about it then. Mars recommends a light distance of 24-30" for seedlings. I have started lowering the light today and will work it down to there.

Latest posts

Back