Starting new grow. Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, I want some of that stuff.. If your feeding on top of it, try mixing it 50/50 with your current soil..

What Soma used to do was something called layering. when he would up pot he'd put the hotter soil in the base
of the pot so as the plant got established and matured it would reach the hotter soil at the time it needed it.
So you could put that Coast of Maine in the bottom portion, happy frog to start and have a nice thing going with
very little feeding if any. maybe a little Calmag and at week 6 a PK booster...

My favorite is Roots Organics..

When I started, I ignored many warnings that Fox Farm Ocean causes problems, long story short the soil roasted (burned) my plant its entire life. I moved to Fox Farm Happy for my second grow using the same seeds and lights and everything is healthy. I'd stay away from Ocean Forest if I was you, especially if your on the east coast. I've heard many say the quality of the FF Ocean is really hit and miss here....Maybe the west coast gets something better, who knows

Last thought, I wandered into at least 5 different nurseries here in Virginia and all of the people I spoke with tried to lean me away from ocean forest. I should have listened.
You dropped your seeds directly into the happy frog?

Ive used Happy Frog mixed with Ocean Forest and it worked awesome. Maybe I'll try just the Happy Frog and see what happens.
I have too used Ocean forest and perlite my entire first grow from first transplant but switched to happy frog after reading bad review on hot ocean forest and how some batches are not so good.

Ive used Happy Frog mixed with Ocean Forest and it worked awesome. Maybe I'll try just the Happy Frog and see what happens.

I have a huge bag of ocean forest I'd hate to throw away. Maybe I'll mix Ocean with Happy frog next grow. We'll see, but fox farm makes me nervous. (Coast of Maine Platinum has my interest now.)

Here is a guy testing various soils including Fox farm. His lettuce doesn't do so well in fox farm....

forward to around 1:50 ---his lettuce get's roasted. He comments " I dont know what Fox farm is putting in the soil:

No, I use jiffy pots, but I wouldn't hesitate to put seeds directly into happy frog. Maybe I'll try that next grow.

How bad was your first grow using ocean forest?
I had no problems at all I used I straight with just perlite in four transplants from seedlings. I didn’t have to use much nutes either till flower. I did use calmag tho. I only changed to happy frog when I kept reading folks having a problem with it. I mixed my leftover ocean with the new frog dirt in my first transplant on second grow clones with no problems either. My third grow will be happy frog seedlings have adjusted well with their first transplant into happy frog and growing nicely

I had no problems at all I used I straight with just perlite in four transplants from seedlings. I didn’t have to use much nutes either till flower. I did use calmag tho. I only changed to happy frog when I kept reading folks having a problem with it. I mixed my leftover ocean with the new frog dirt in my first transplant on second grow clones with no problems either. My third grow will be happy frog seedlings have adjusted well with their first transplant into happy frog and growing nicely

Nice, I still have 5 gallons of Ocean Forest that I may mix with happy frog next grow, I'm torn. I'd hate to get roasted again by that soil.

I actually boiled and strained all of my leftover ocean forest as well. It's in a bin, I like to dry it out to dust to keep all the Fungus gnats away. It's amazing how wet this soil is out of the bag! (I weighed a 3 gallon cloth container filled with Ocean Forest, it weight 11 pounds. I then ran a fan on it for a few days and it dropped 3 pounds of water weight down to 8 pounds. Crazy !

Last edited:
I've decided to find a different soil this yr when I transplant and get away from Fox Farm all together. Don't know what soil yet but I'll let you know. Right now everything is in FFOF and doing okay but the soil is from last yr so pretty much it's just soil with my additives such as Fish Emulsion and Molasses and FF Big Grow.

I've decided to find a different soil this yr when I transplant and get away from Fox Farm all together. Don't know what soil yet but I'll let you know. Right now everything is in FFOF and doing okay but the soil is from last yr so pretty much it's just soil with my additives such as Fish Emulsion and Molasses and FF Big Grow.
Im using coast of maine Stonington blend Seems like its quality and I get it for 17.50 a bag at a commerical greenhouse supply

Last edited:
I'm going to check with a Nursery down the street from me where I got the FF Soil and see what else they have

I’m gonna stick with the FF soil for now unless I hear about the incredible grow you had with the new soil you find. Perhaps I just got lucky and got good bags of FF when I purchased it. I will admit that I started out with the ocean soil and was influenced by this site to changed as so many folks had burning and said it was because of the soil although I never had that problem. I only mixed perlite to the soil at first and didn’t add nutes until they had been in their transplanted pots for a while. I transplanted four times before their final pots allowing the plants to adapt to new pot and good soil so I really only added calmag and PH water until just a couple of weeks before putting them into flower where I only added veg nutes a couple times before I started adding flower nutes and of course calmag and molasses. My first grow with the ocean soil was awesome and full. My second grow (clones from the first grow, grown in the frog soil) also has a full canopy of nice little budsites after about two weeks of being in flower. I will admit that even tho the tent has a beautiful canopy, the leaves are much smaller then their mother plants were at this stage. I figured maybe because they were clones. The buds are still plentiful tho and I look forward to seeing how big they will get compared to their mothers. My next grow are from seeds started out with the frog soil all up and thriving under my cheap LED but if I find that the ocean soil did better, I may change over back to the ocean soil for their last two transplants. Please keep us posted on which soil you decide to grow with so I can keep up. I’m all about getting a larger yield and am always looking for new tricks but find myself going with the KISS method when I have to make a choice. 😎

I have grown from start to finish with MG and got good results. Had to supplement the soil in Flower with MG Bloom booster and CalMag.

Im using coast of maine Stonington blend Seems like its quality and I get it for 17.50 a bag at a commerical greenhouse supply

My local garden center tried to steer me in the direction of Coast of Maine soil, but its $40 dollars a bag here, Fox Farm is around 30 bucks. So, I saved ten bucks and had a ruined grow which means I didn't save a thing.

My local garden center tried to steer me in the direction of Coast of Maine soil, but its $40 dollars a bag here, Fox Farm is around 30 bucks. So, I saved ten bucks and had a ruined grow which means I didn't save a thing.
I have a greenhouse supply close and I am paying $17.50 ( last year)

When I started, I ignored many warnings that Fox Farm Ocean causes problems, long story short the soil roasted (burned) my plant its entire life. I moved to Fox Farm Happy for my second grow using the same seeds and lights and everything is healthy. I'd stay away from Ocean Forest if I was you, especially if your on the east coast. I've heard many say the quality of the FF Ocean is really hit and miss here....Maybe the west coast gets something better, who knows

Last thought, I wandered into at least 5 different nurseries here in Virginia and all of the people I spoke with tried to lean me away from ocean forest. I should have listened.
I had just the opposite experience.half and half ocean forest and happy frog burnt new seedlings, but they survived.

I put sprouted seeds from paper towels straight in to straight Ocean Forest. These are Indica strains.

My grow store guy says same thing, claims he sprouts all his seeds in it. Oh well, different strokes

Bubba

Latest posts

Back