Starting out seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyGold

Reaction score
Hey want to thank everyone for all their help with the 1000 questions I have had so far ha ha. This question concerns starting out my seeds. I am going to do an indoor and outdoor grow. For indoor I am going to grow autos and outdoor photos. I am purchasing 3 king1500 led lights. My question is are these lights too powerful to start seeds? I would like to eventually have a turnover where I have a fresh crop every month or so in the indoor autos so I didn’t know if I could put seeds in the same room as mature plants. If not I have a shower that I could convert into a small seed room. What kind of light would be good for that? Also, how do you guys start your outdoor seeds? My plan is to start the in solo cups and just kee them outside this spring. Should I start them inside under a grow light as well? How much light should I leave on both inside and outside seeds a day? Sorry for the bombardment of questions just want to do this right!

Would something like to picture below be efficient to grow seeds? I would wrap the shower in Mylar , Inclose it, and hang the light with the seed trays in the shower floor.

Attachments

• F6DF2395-0926-4F0A-8F14-D2F8D10BFB05.png
    F6DF2395-0926-4F0A-8F14-D2F8D10BFB05.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 45
KG
Seedlings require no more than a small light.
Don't waste power using the 1500w LEDs on seeds.
When small not much light needed. As they grow increase light.
For autos you don't need to separate them.
They will flower regardless of light schedule. Give them LOTS.

Awesome thank you so much! So what I pictured above is overkill? How much light do you give your photo and auto seeds a day? Do you start your photo seeds under lights or put them outside? QUOTE="the glom an, post: 1049836, member: 41196"]KG
Seedlings require no more than a small light.
Don't waste power using the 1500w LEDs on seeds.
When small not much light needed. As they grow increase light.
For autos you don't need to separate them.
They will flower regardless of light schedule. Give them LOTS.[/QUO

You can raise seedlings under a simple cool white fixture, just be careful not to let them stretch too much.
I always go 24/7 lighting over my seedlings and cut down to 18/6 when they are established and put them under my regular grow lights until they're ready to go into the bud room.
I've never grown auto flowers, if you can't clone them, I don't want them.
As far as mylar goes, a simple flat white paint does a better job and you don't get hotspots.
Good luck, have fun and enjoy it all!!

Last edited:
Lol. Yes. Overkill
More size more light.
I run my nursery lights 18/6 same as my veg.
Bloom I start with 10 on 14 off then after a week I go to 12/12.
Not everybody uses this schedule but it works for me.

This is great stuff. So how tall do you allow your new plants to get before you move them into your grow room?

On photos, how many weeks do you recommend I start the seeds before I transplant them in the ground? Should I start the seeds for them under lights or just put them outside

I probably would not put the autos in the ground. You need to keep autos as unstressed as possible. I would try to transplant only once as this is stressful and I would not put them into the ground. I would use good sized fabric grow bags.

You can raise seedlings under a simple cool white fixture, just be careful not to let them stretch too much.
I always go 24/7 lighting over my seedlings and cut down to 18/6 when they are established and put them under my regular grow lights until they're ready to go into the bud room.
I've never grown auto flowers, of you can't clone them, I don't want them.
As far as mylar goes, a simple flat white paint does a better job and you don't get hotspots.
Good luck, have fun and enjoy it all!!

So you think the 24/7 schedule for auto seeds is efficient as well? Once they were ready for grow room I am planning a 20 hours on 4 hours off light schedule. Didn’t know If it would make a difference them being autos.

I probably would not put the autos in the ground. You need to keep autos as unstressed as possible. I would try to transplant only once as this is stressful and I would not put them into the ground. I would use good sized fabric grow bags.

Yeah I’ve about changes my mind on putting the autos outside. Think I will keep them all inside my grow room and only worry about photos on the outside. Im just trying to figure out a schedule of how long I should keep my auto seeds under a separate light before I transplant them into bigger pots in my grow room. Also should I start my photos under lights and if so how long before I plan to put them outside should I do it?

I grew jock horror outside in the ground. Did great.
Transplant autos young. 2-3 nodes. Just don't manhandle them.
Photos outdoors in your region are gonna give you a priceless education. You've been informed. Now ya just gotta try it. Have Fun!

I grew jock horror outside in the ground. Did great.
Transplant autos young. 2-3 nodes. Just don't manhandle them.
Photos outdoors in your region are gonna give you a priceless education. You've been informed. Now ya just gotta try it. Have Fun!

Lol yes you have warned ans helped me both! Like you said I gotta try lol

Would this light be efficient for starting out my seeds? It’s $40 at Lowe’s.

Attachments

• 2F1AF0F5-0EB6-48E8-8E2D-BCA54A28CF07.png
    2F1AF0F5-0EB6-48E8-8E2D-BCA54A28CF07.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 39
Kentucky -- Don't over think things -- People always want to know how long from planting to harvest ?-- How tall a plant will get ?---Everything is flexible !-- - Inside U in control of all that !-- A grower from Michigan once told me he grew outside weed for hash and inside weed to smoke!-- He did sativas inside and indicas outside !-- I have the long outside grow season so I could do it opposite -- Indicas inside sativas outside !-- U should see the Gloman's cement mixer bubble hash making machine -- Again down here it is mostly too hot to make bubble hash so I'll dry ice hash instead -- I'm make lots of hash then press the oil out on a rosen press and fill e-cig cartridges ! -- I would guess most in Texas don't even know such a thing exist !--

Kentucky what it boils down to is U got to jump in and mess up some -If U don't get disheartened and quit - U can begin to learn to grow -- I was a gorilla grower sometimes back in the day and thought I knew how to grow till I got here !-- Then I began to learn !

Kentucky -- Don't over think things -- People always want to know how long from planting to harvest ?-- How tall a plant will get ?---Everything is flexible !-- - Inside U in control of all that !-- A grower from Michigan once told me he grew outside weed for hash and inside weed to smoke!-- He did sativas inside and indicas outside !-- I have the long outside grow season so I could do it opposite -- Indicas inside sativas outside !-- U should see the Gloman's cement mixer bubble hash making machine -- Again down here it is mostly too hot to make bubble hash so I'll dry ice hash instead -- I'm make lots of hash then press the oil out on a rosen press and fill e-cig cartridges ! -- I would guess most in Texas don't even know such a thing exist !--

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I’m just trying to absorb every bit of knowledge I can. Your right though I do over think these ha ha. Appreciate everyone’s help on here through all my silly questions.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I’m just trying to absorb every bit of knowledge I can. Your right though I do over think these ha ha. Appreciate everyone’s help on here through all my silly questions.

These are all great people here who dont think your questions are silly. That's how we learn, by asking questions of our peers.
Isnt that right Rose ?;)

So you think the 24/7 schedule for auto seeds is efficient as well? Once they were ready for grow room I am planning a 20 hours on 4 hours off light schedule. Didn’t know If it would make a difference them being autos.
I really can't answer that, I've never dealt with autos before.
Sorry, but there are many more qualified people than me to answer that question.

I'm on my first auto run now, and will run 24/7 lights the whole way, including seedlings. I put my seedlings under my 1500 watt LED and they responded really well - almost no stretch at all, stout and bushy. I hung out on an autoflower forum for a while prior to starting, and a lot of those guys seem to run 24/7 lighting, so that's what I decided to try on this first auto run. Everything looks great so far.

Here’s how I do autos...I take a solo cup and cut off the bottom...fill it with your grow medium and then bury that in your final grow container. A pot in a pot...after the plant is mature enough that it should be transplanted just use a pair of scissors to cut down opposite sides of the cup and gently pull one side at a time out and now your plant is transplanted...autos don’t like the stress of a physical transplant...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back