State of Oregon wants to grow and tax MMJ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaoulDuke

Who?
Reaction score
SALEM, Ore. -- The Oregon Legislature's latest idea for a tax? Medical marijuana.
The state would take over growing and distributing marijuana to patients in the medical-marijuana program under a bill introduced Wednesday. Sponsored by Rep. Ron Maurer, R-Grants Pass, House Bill 3274 imposes a $98-per-ounce tax, which would cover the state's cost of operating and securing the production center.
"I'm not a pot guy, but the water's under the bridge. That's not the issue," Maurer told The Oregonian newspaper. "Let's not even discuss that. Let's discuss is the program working? The answer is unequivocally no, that the program is not working."
Oregon voters approved the use of medical marijuana more than a decade ago, deciding chronically and terminally ill patients should be allowed to use the drug to ease pain. Roughly 21,000 Oregonians now have cards authorizing them to use it for medicinal purposes, according to the state Department of Human Services.
Maurer and three co-sponsors think the bill would improve public safety by eliminating private medical-marijuana grow sites. Some private growers have been accused of illegally selling marijuana to those who don't have cards; other sites have been targeted by burglaries and home invasions.
A bill co-sponsor, Rep. Chris Harker, D-Beaverton, told the Statesman Journal newspaper that the measure "takes medical marijuana off the streets and into a safer and more secure environment."
Current law allows registered patients to possess six mature cannabis plants, 18 immature seedlings and 24 ounces of usable cannabis. In 2004, voters rejected a measure that would create state distribution centers.
Though the proposal is considered a longshot at best, it is expected to be heard in a committee.
"When we have bipartisan support like that for a bill, it is typical that it will at least get the courtesy of a hearing," said Geoff Sugerman, spokesman for House Speaker Dave Hunt.

hxxp://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/403269_pottax13.html

so with this bill, will growers have to sell there products to state dispenseries?
will growers no longer be able to grow?

The way I read it, the state would take over growing while maintaining a prohibition on non-state entities. Personal grows would remain illegal. From a government standpoint, this would enable the state legislature to outlaw personal grows by medical patients. The rationale would be, mandating safety standards as well as expansion of the tax revenues, while maintaining a prohibition on non-medical use.

thats one way to stick it to the little man. the battle we've fought so long and hard for, i now feel was never to be attainable in the first place.

it's just a matter of a short time before we'll all be criminals again. say-la-vee...bb...

well as history has told us the government can't grow pot as they can't even run a ***** house , point being when the government took over the Mustang ranch in sparks nevada, and could not make a profit ,how can you not make a profit with a ***** house ? they been in business many years . so I feel if they try to grow pot it's going to go the same way . the guy who introduced this bill has his head way to far up his butt for any fresh air to creep in to clear up his mind. and the place better be more protected then fort knots . I guarantee there is going to be security problems from the get go .. well I can't wait to watch them blow this one too , set back take a toke ,and laugh it's gotta be good !

If it happens, guess what? The state has all the addresses of the patients growers on file. They won't have to do any type of detective work/ investigation to see if the growers are still growing once it is illegal to do so. They know exactly where they live. I am quite concerned, this hits too close to home

Has anyone seen the bud the govt supplies for medical and scientific studies? It almost looks like hemp! there is a video of research scientists talking about how their studies are irrelevant because the pot the govt gives them is so horribly grown.

This is very draconian. this misses the point that classic pharma techniques are bad even for big pharma, and that we should not perpetuate these tactics into new areas.

is it or is it not used as medical medicen, like percodan,vicoden,or any kind of medicen, then why shouldnt all of them be taxed, the state agrees its used for a medical reason so why not all meds. or is it discrimination on us???

Sad. And entirely predictable. C'mon y'all, we've seen this coming.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38036

And...

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33406&page=2

As I have said in the past, industrial hemp must be recognized with medicinal/recreational marijuana before it will ever be truely free.. This is nothing more than an attempt to block the industrial advances of marijuana. Has absolutely nothing to do with your goverment protecting you. It is singularly money driven, either for or against. Big friggin whoop, Oregon.

Here is another example:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39267

And an earlier view,

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38448&page=2

Could you imagine being charged $50 per oz for industrial hemp?? Not a viable market. And yes I intentionally lump the two together. Don't believe for a minute that these guys are just throwing this crap out in an unorganized and unthoughtful manner. It is a very well calculated attempt to control both markets in a fashion that suits the needs of the few, not the many. I am not tooting any horns here, trust me, just pointing out that if you completely distrust your government and can imagine the worst ways they can come up with to screw you then you might be on the right track and it becomes far more likely to guess what's really going on in the twisted and perverted minds behind the suits and flashy smiles. This latest from California only confuses the issues, it does not cure them.

legalization only makes sense, i wanna shoot myself sometimes over how retarded it is to keep busting people for growing.

Born & raised Orygunian here...this state never met a tax it didnt like...
Im not surprised at this but I hope it dies a quick death...The state just smells a buck here.

i talked to a person that runs a head shop has a grow,caregiver.and med card in Or.
she says the bill was designed to fail. so she isnt worried about it.
from her understanding is that growers would be able to sell there product to the state.
the only problem is that the state of Or. only thinks that Salem and Portland are the only 2 cities that exist in Or. and if things are wrong there then they are wrong all over. they would have to ship there product from eastern Or. to western to have it shipped back for the pharmacies.

Latest posts

Back