stealth drying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dude. you have 200 acres...you should take this seeds from this grow and turn into a regular johnny weedseed!

well i dnt smoke hardcore and i dnt sell, i pretty much just grow for the love of the herb and so i have something to look foward to.

right right...back to the task at hand...the stealth drying that is...im currently dealing with the same issue and im not going to lie i dont trust the dry box thing...something tells me i probly couldnt contruct one that wouldnt turn into mold city you know? but dude check it out me and my friend were talkin and we got a great plan...what if you took like an igloo dog house and sealed it up and insulated and stuck a couple battery powered fans shooting air and the back and occasionally putting amounts of dry ice in to lower humidity and ****...then camoflauge it and throw leaves and **** on it...i call it and indian dry box!! i dont know if it would work its just a high mans dream you know...

I know it sounds sketchy but if either of you have a car you dont need for a week you could dry the buds in the boot under the parcel shelf. I wouldnt recomend driving anywhere with ounces of weed in the boot though ;)

yea my friend was using his dog house, i was thinking about using my hunting tent because it has peep holes in it, its camoflouge, it blocks the sun out, but the only thing i worry about is the humidity. I was thinkin about my attic.

yeah man humidity is the biggest thing to me too...i was thinking about the crawl space at my house for like just like 5 or 6 days and then finishing the job with dry ice...not a purfect plan but i dont know if i could have that smelly stuff there for more than a few days...howd did it work out when your friend used his dog house??

He hasnt done it yet, this is his and mine first year growing so im just figuring all of this out now. my plan is to check my areas weather the week im going to harvest and see what the humidity is going to be, and if it is going to be too high or too low im just gonna have to risk it and put it in my attic. I really dont think my parents would care because my dad used to grow 8 ft plants in his landscaping around his house when he was younger, his mom was just that clueless.:D

the_riz said:
I know it sounds sketchy but if either of you have a car you dont need for a week you could dry the buds in the boot under the parcel shelf. I wouldnt recomend driving anywhere with ounces of weed in the boot though ;)

What is a boot or a parcel shelf? :confused:

Also I have dried outdoors before. I I just made a wooden box with a door and it had 3 shelves made out of wire. I made ventilation holes in the side and cover them with wire as well. Then put it outside in a cool, dark (as you can get) area.

I have also tied string to the stalk and put the other end over a low limb in a nearby tree and let it dry like that. Just make sure it is a shaded place.

Slow Drying

Slow drying is probably the method most commonly used to dry marijuana. Because of the slowness of the dry, a slight cure takes place, eliminating the bite sometimes associated with quickly dried grass.

There are many variations of the technique, but most commonly whole plants or separated colas are suspended upside down from a drawn string or from pegs on a wall in a cool dark room, closet, or other enclosed space. A large number of plants may take a week or two to dry. The drying time for small numbers of plants can be increased (for a slight cure) by placing the plants in large, open paper sacks that have ventilation holes cut in their sides. The drying room should have no heavy drafts, but mould may form on the plants if the air is stagnant. If weather is rainy or the air humid, increase ventilation and watch for any mould. Plants should be dried quickly under moderate heat if any mould appears.

Many experienced growers prefer slow drying to curing. There is little chance of error with this method, and buds usually smoke smooth and develop a pliable consistency. Slow-dried ripe buds retain their delicious, sweet aroma and taste.

Fast Drying

The fast dry-method produces a harsher smoke than slow drying, but it is often the most convenient method to use. The plants are suspended in the same way as for slow drying, but the temperature in the drying area is increased to between 90 and 115 degrees, often by means of electric or gas heater. The drying area is kept well-ventilated with a fan. As the plants dry, they are removed from the drying area. By this method, plants in a tightly packed room can be dried in less than four days, but the exhaust will contain the deliciously pungent odour of drying marijuana.

Indoor growers often hang plants to dry over radiators or stream pipes. Leaves are dried by placing them on a tray over a radiator or on top of the light fixture.

Marijuana that is fast-dried retains its original green colour and minty taste.

Oven Drying

Oven drying is often used by gardeners to sample their crop. Small quantities of material can be quickly dried by being placed in a 150 to 200 oven for about 10 minutes. Larger quantities can be dried in trays that contain a single layer of material or in a dehydrator. Oven-dried and dehydrator-dried marijuana usually has a harsh taste and bite, and loses much of its bouquet. The method is often used to dry marijuana which has been cured and dried but is too moist to smoke, or to dry marijuana which is to be used for cooking or extractions. It is an adequate method for obtaining dry material for testing and emergencies, but the main harvest should not be dried in this way. Oven drying works best with leaves. When leaves are dried together with buds or shoots, remove the material from the oven periodically, to separate the faster-drying leaf material (before it burns) from the slower drying buds. One way to do this is to place all the material on a wire screen over a tray. Every few minutes rub the material across the screen. Dried material falls unto the tray and is removed from the oven. Repeat until all the material has dried.

Oven curing works well when closely watched. Dried marijuana that is left in the oven will lose potency quickly. Any time the marijuana begins to char, most of the potency will already have been lost. This should not be a problem unless you are careless, or allow the temperature to go above 200 degrees.

Sun Drying

Some growers dry their crops right in the field. There are many methods of sun drying. In Oregon, some growers break the main stem about two feet from the ground. The leaves and buds dry gradually, since they are still partly attached to the plant. Other growers spread burlap and cover it with plants left to dry. Fan leaves are left on the plants to protect the drying buds from the sun. The grass is manicured after drying. Growers in Arizona shade drying plants with cheesecloth.

Sun-dried marijuana usually has a taste similar to that of oven-dried. Often the sun bleaches it slightly but also destroy some of the delicate bouquet. Prolonged exposure to the sun will decrease potency, although there is no noticeable loss if drying is done quickly.

Dry Ice

Many homegrowers have written to us that the dry-ice cure increases the potency of marijuana considerably, and we would be remiss not to mention it.

Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. When it melts (sublimates), it turns from a solid directly into a gas. This gas absorbs some moisture from the frozen marijuana and partially dries it.

There are many variations of the dry-ice method. Fresh or partially dried material is usually used, although some enthusiasts claim that the cure also works with dried material. The marijuana is placed in a coffee can or similar container with a lid, along with at least an equal volume of dry ice. Puncture the lid so that the gas can escape as it evaporates. Place the can in a freezer to prolong the evaporation process. When the dry ice is gone, the grass is dried, but still moist.

Some growers claim that simply freezing the grass increases potency. They often freeze fan leaves or other less-potent material for a couple of months before smoking it. This is said to work only with fresh (wet or dried) grass.

Latest posts

Back