Step-by-step Guide on Shipping Clones and Clippings (with pictures!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmo

Ganja Farmer
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This hobby of mine has led me down the path of collecting unique, rare and sought after strains. There's no better way to do that than to take in known and proven genetics. Seeds are great, but cuts of known strains are the best (in my opinion). For one, it removes the chances of unwanted male plants. It also allows one to really compare their growing techniques with others running the exact same genetics.

This thread is a step-by-step guide on how to ship rooted clones and unrooted clippings. I in no way condone or promote users to break the marijuana passion ToS. In other words, THERE IS TO BE NO OPEN TRADING, BUYING/SELLING, GIFTING, OR ANYTHING ELSE OF THE SORT HAPPENING IN THIS THREAD. It is for informational purposes only.

A word of caution before bringing anything in to your garden or sending anything out:
Many years ago, before I really knew better, I brought in a cutting that a friend shipped to me. It took me almost a year to rid my garden of the broad mites that came with it. Before sending anything out it is a general courtesy to sulpher dip your cutting about a day before shipping. Don't ever send anything out that has known pests or diseases, it's a **** move if you do. On the receiving end you should have a quarantine plan in place and consider sulpher dipping about a week after receiving any clones or cuts. One of the best pieces of advice I can give to anyone bringing clones in is to have a preventive maintenance plan in place.

Another experience I had many years ago was a soggy box showing up to my mailbox, jam packed with clones in muddy soil. I could smell the weed before I even opened the mailbox. That could have been a disaster.

A wise man once told me, "where's your common sense, man?" I think that applies to the situation described above.

Shipping clones is quasey legal in the United States right now. With the Farm Bill in effect, plants containing less than .3% THC are considered hemp products and are legal. Who knows how long this with last, and I would still recommend being cautious when shipping any cuttings or clones.

On to the process that works really well for me, and my recommended method of shipping clones/cuts:

Materials you will need
Clone shippers
Black poly bags
Small USPS flat rate priority box
Small USPS priority bag
USPS priority shipping label

Clippings can also be shipped with the methods outlined below. I like to take a paper dinner napkin and soak it in pH adjusted water with a light nutrient solution. Ring out the excess water and wrap the napkin around the cut ends of the clippings. Trim excess paper off and pack as described below.

1. Place clones in the clone shipper and use a small piece of tape to "seal" the shipper shut. Don't forget to label what strain is in each slot to prevent confusion!
20220609_215852.jpg
20220609_215910.jpg

2. Place sealed clone shipper in a black poly bag and seal the bag.
20220609_220012.jpg

3. Place sealed poly bag containing clone shipper in the small USPS priority box and seal shut.
20220609_220119.jpg

4. Place small USPS box in a second black poly bag.
20220609_220135.jpg

5. Place black poly bag into small USPS priority shipping bag and seal shut.
20220609_220202.jpg

6. Label and ship.

As a general rule you should ship early in the week if your shipping standard priority. Shipping later in the week runs the risk of the package getting hung up at the PO over the weekend. If you must ship late in the week you should consider Priority next day express shipping. It can be pricey, but it will pay off knowing that the clones will make it to their destination in a healthy state.

USPS priority shipping takes 2-3 days most of the time. I've had almost 100% success using this shipping speed and only had packages get held up once. The one that was held up did make it, and the plants did survive. No harm, no foul. Priority shipping is about $10.
Priority Express next day is guaranteed delivery. If it doesn't make it by the scheduled time you are owed a refund. I've never had a package not delivered on time using this shipping speed. It's more expensive, but in some cases it's worth it. Cost is generally $30-50 in my experience.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back