Storing buds under inert gasses.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGKushman

Don’t eat that pancake.
Reaction score
Next crop I’m storing a full 2qt mason jar of dried and freshly cured dank. I’m replacing the air in the container with either CO2 or Argon gas from my welder and I’ll be storing it in my wine cooler at 55 degrees.

What are your thoughts on this?

I ran out of meds on this last crop and had to buy some. Ended up with gelato, wedding cake, and ice cream cake. While it’s all very good, it has almost no effect on me.

Attachments

• 05E5530A-6839-4EB4-8A43-853441A44328.jpeg
    05E5530A-6839-4EB4-8A43-853441A44328.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 4
Debacco university put out a YouTube video on it. It's probably better to use nitrogen gas as it's non-reactive and is 70%+ of our air. Oxygen/light/heat are the killer of terpenes.

CO2 I’ll advise myself against as I know it dissolves and reacts in h20 to make an acid, and my buds have plenty of moisture left after the cure. Argon is absolutely inert.
Nitrogen is mostly inert but also can dissolve in water. All of this is definitely worth some testing. Easy to do also. 🔬

ever thought of just vacuum sealing the mason jars with one of those vacuum sealer gimmicks that attach to the machine...no air, in the dark, and nice and cool sounds like heaven for flowers stored...

ever thought of just vacuum sealing the mason jars with one of those vacuum sealer gimmicks that attach to the machine...no air, in the dark, and nice and cool sounds like heaven for flowers stored...
a full vacuum will theoretically boil all the water out of the buds, anything less still has o2 in it.

i'm interested on where this takes you and the results you achieve...I would think that stuffing the jar with any gas would leave some o2 trace...moisure is needed as the bud slowly cures I thought...my jarred flowers are still pliable after 6 months of storing, it would be nice to know they wouldn't degrade in 5 years...

In all reality, it probably doesn't matter too much on the gas. Everything has a relative partial pressure effect for gases on liquids ability to dissolve appropriately. CO2 forms carbonic acid, nitrogen isn't soluble in water not is argon is similar.
Think about carbonation. When you carbonate beer for instance you can load the CO2 at 2-3 bar (atm) and you can hear all the gases flow into a keg and keep flowing for quite sometime. Nitrogen doesn't which is why nitrogen beer needs much high pressure and even at that, comes out of solution in a few minutes.

In the instance of CO2 on the limited humidity in marijuana at atmospheric pressure, I doubt it'll be able to create much carbonic acid. The RH may be 60-62%, however the actual water content in dried and cured buds are closer to 10-12%.

I'm a biochemist and also used to brew a lot of beer. But it's good to think about the sciences and rationale for methods or experiments.

I think so. I joined this place back in the ‘00’s 👴🏻

Argon is absolutely inert and in theory will stop decomposition.

I think I’ll jar 4 different gasses.

Last edited:
Also one more thing is that hops and bud both contain the same terpenes which is why they can smell so similar. In IPAs the enemy is oxygen as they oxidize the terpenes and even with all the carbonic acid from carbonation, the aroma will last.

Commercial hop growers flush the dried hops generally with CO2 or nitrogen to preserve the terpenes.

Latest posts

Back