Storms and power failure freight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caw

Reaction score
Every time a storm is announced as coming I get really nervous about the possibility of losing power. It hasnt happened for a couple years, but it's always in the back of my mind.

The last time we lost power I was leaving town for a course I was taking. We woke up to no power in the house. I went out to start up the generator, but there was an issue with the carburetor - it was leaking gas. Not wanting to leave my wife and kids without power, I rigged it to pull gas straight from a gas can (not too smart, I know). My wife was rightfully scared and said "just go, we will make due". Luckily the power was only off a few hours, well before the scheduled back on time.

Fast forward a couple years and the generator still sits, not working, gas can attached above. We supposedly have a storm moving in tonight. Earlier I went out to the garage and pulled the info off the generator and ordered a new carburetor for it, and a new 5 gallon gas can. I'm hoping just knowing it's there and working will ease some of my anxiety.

Has anyone reading this ever lost a crop due to a power outage? Know of others who have?

I'm not only worried about lights, but also air, as I grow hydroponically (DWC). I could always move the plants out to the yard, but they wouldn't have any air for the roots...just a scary thought. So scary I'm seriously thinking about switching growing methods - no, not soil. Some kind of fill and drain system. This would also allow me to use a screen, which I'm unable to do with my current setup.

I lost 2 full tents when irma hit. Lost power for 9 days. I was trapped out of town for 5 so i couldnt even put them outside in time. Your dwc plants could be transplanted into soil if you act quickly enough.

Never lost a grow due to power loss but I keep redundancy on generators...live in area that is known for long power outages....if you can turn fuel valve off to drain your carb after running your generator...this allows it burn all the fuel in carb and supply line. All so additives for Ethanol gas or buying non-Ethanol will help prolong life of your carburetor....it is beneficial to exercise your generator once a month or so to keep check on it.

Agree with everyone above.
I have moved DWC to dirt before. The plant im growing outside right now was in water when it was given to me, now its in soil and looking real good. You can see it on my Grow Thread.
Whats great is you have a generator. Now you just need to fix the carb issue and your Good to go. Bet that carb can be fixed. I have fixed lots of lawnmower carbs. Fairly easy if your mechanically inclined to do so.
Good luck my friend.

Reactions: Caw
I used to live someplace that we had frequent power outages. I generally did not kick the generator on unless it was a longer outage. Sometimes we lost power late at night or during the middle of the night and I did not turn the generator on until morning. I never lost a crop and I was amazed how long my DWC could go with no air pumps working.

While I don't know anything about your family, I would suggest that, if possible, you teach your wife how to deal with the generator (after you have fixed it, of course). You cannot always be around and I would think it would give both of you peace of mind if she knew what to do if the power went out and you weren't there.

Like Autogrower, I have moved DWC plants to soil (and vice versa) with no problems. You need to make sure that you have a soil mixture that has great drainage capabilities (i.e. lots of perlite and organic matter) so the roots get enough O2 while they are adjusting to their new environment. Also, plants that are moved from indoors to outdoors have to acclimate to the sun.

Awesome post Hemp Goddess. Nothing more to add.

Whats great is you have a generator. Now you just need to fix the carb issue and your Good to go. Bet that carb can be fixed. I have fixed lots of lawnmower carbs. Fairly easy if your mechanically inclined to do so.
Good luck my friend.

The carb is beyond fixing. It's apparently a common problem, as noted, due to gas additives. So, I spent the $21 to just order a new one. But yeah, I'd say I'm a bit mechanically inclined - I own a 75 MGB so I HAVE to be...lol I've rebuilt/refreshed the motor, changed out the transmission for one with overdrive, painted it, put in new interior, etc. etc. Cars are unfortunately just another expensive hobby of mine.

I never thought about transferring to dirt...? I do the opposite due to my friend who grows in soil though. Just seems like a daunting task with the huge root system. Bit thanks to you all who mentioned it. I want to attempt a couple outdoor plants this year and now I wont need to start completely new. I was also looking into autos, but have been nervous about quality.

Glad you got the carb thing figured out my friend.
And yeah it really is no big deal moving from water to dirt,,,or at least i never had a problem with it. Just make sure you have good drainage and you will be fine.
I have grown in both. I like soil because it can handle Texas Weather better then Water. Water gets to warm unless you have a good way to keep it cool.

Reactions: Caw

Latest posts

Back