strange pH effect on nutes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I have noticed that when I mix nutes for a bubble bucket using canna aqua nutes, the solution becomes cloudy and has little solid particles that seem to have precipitated out of the solution after a while.

I fill a bucket with tap water and let it sit for a few days getting to the correct temperature with an aquarium heater, then I mix in the canna aqua nutes following their guide plus some calmag and vitamins. I let that sit for a couple of days and then when I go to set the pH before switching nute buckets, I see that it's become cloudy and has floating particles.

But as I start to use pH down (my nute and tap water mix is usually about 7.5 pH before adjusting) to get the solution to pH 5.5, I see that the solution stops being cloudy and the particles dissolve again so that the nute solution looks clear and clean.

I wonder what causes it to do that?

my guess is that it has something to do with the sequence of adding different ingredients

when I was using GH micro grow and micro bloom , if I put the bloom nutes in first and then the bow , the solution would cloud up

i passed Chem 101 in my freshman year but only because I brought a lot of cookies to class and shared the recipe so the professor could break it down into chemistry terms for the days lesson...

you always add the micro first or additives like cal mag
Thanks. I did it that way this time but it made no difference.
I also noticed that using an airstone in the solution made the effect more noticeable.
Maybe the bubbling is causing it.
The solution gets cloudy and with little particles, but it reverts to clear and clean while setting the pH from about 7.8 to 5.5

Latest posts

Back