Student Not Allowed To Take Prescribed Marijuana At School

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A 16-year-old boy in Colorado Springs, Colorado isn't allowed to take his prescribed medication at school because he can't attend school "under the influence." What makes his situation any different than any other student who has to take meds at school is that his prescribed medication is medicinal marijuana.

The student's father, Shan Moore, said that the medical marijuana has been a "miracle drug" for his son, who suffers from myaclonus diaphragmatic flutter which causes chest and throat seizures. The teen doesn't smoke the weed, he simply ingests a lozenge or pill.

The marijuana pill helps stop the attacks and allows him to function normally. The problem is, is that under state law, the teen is not allowed to possess marijuana on school grounds, so he is not allowed to leave it with the school nurse like other medications.

His family came up with a plan to solve the problem. They figured he could just come home and take the pill when needed, then go back to school after he's taken it. Unfortunately, there was a problem with that too. The family says they were told that the boy is not allowed at school on any day he has taken medical marijuana.

The school district released a statement saying that, "If the student ingests medical marijuana off-campus and returns to school, then as long as the student isn't disruptive or showing signs of impairment then they are treated just like any other student."

Moore says a district nurse told him his son could come back to school after taking the marijuana as long as the school doesn't know he's taken it. The family says they are trying to live by the rules, but need some clarification.

They also want the state law to change so that medical marijuana could be administered by a school nurse, just like other prescription drugs.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/3ln8j3x

I would've done what the nurse said, taken my pill and go to school. pop one in the bathroom er somethin no one has to know ur taking it except you. how is this diff than a student taking ritalin or a medication for seizures. same affect diff drug but without the pharmaceutical side effects

It's not a question if the boy had a chance to take the pill and hide that from school authorities. Everyone can do that (there probably much worse things happening at the schools that the school authorities never find out about). It is a matter of law and society acknowledging medical marijuana as a legal drug, that actually helps people. It is a lot less harmful and it presents a lot less site effects that some other legal medicine for many medical conditions.
Our system has recognized the bad and abusive usage of marijuana only and the influence of public opinion is still not giving the authority a chance to change the medical marijuana state laws.

I think the disruptive part is when he's munching loudly on potatoe chips...I took medical marijuana at school though it had a different name then... weed.

There is a stigma to using legal mmj. It is based on ignorance and misinformation, not actual scientific research or first hand experience. It is more about social pressure and extreme political views, than any real facts. I started taking prescription meds for epilepsy when I was 4. As soon as I started using mj and saw how it helped, there was no going back to the prescription meds for me.

Latest posts

Back