Stunt Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FUM

Reaction score
Over in Hawaii they have two (2) growing seasons. A long season and a stunt season where the MJ plant may only reach 6ft. My question is when would one start the "stunt"/winter season to grow MJ ?

Honestly,this is the first time I have heard this...I am all ears as well.I would imagine,if you were to start a "stunt" season,or a "short" season it would be sometime in the middle of your normal season...As I have mentioned earlier,I am ignorant to this subject (just my two cents)...
Stay Cool

Hello FUM :)

Northern and Southern Subtropical Zones - (15 to 30 north and south latitudes)

The northern subtropical zone is one of the largest Cannabis producing areas in the world, while the southern subtropical zone has little Cannabis. These areas usually have a long season from February-March through October-December in the northern hemisphere and from September-October through March-June in the southern hemisphere. A short season may also exist from December or January through March or April in the northern hemisphere, spanning from 90 to 120 days. In Hawaii, Cannabis cultivators sometimes make use of a third short season from June through September or September through December.

Source :-

hXXp://www.mellowgold.com/grow/mjbotany-removed/marijuanabotany4.html

:peace:

I'm thinking,dig a 6ft hole. Fill with 3ft of hot cow dung (let's say),then 3ft of growing soil to the top. Stake 2x4's all around. Then run your plastic inside and outside so you have a dead air space to hold the heat. Vent the top. It only needs to be 6or7ft.tall. Now you just need sunny spot to grow your pot.Peace out my fellow growers.

It is possible, especially if you figure out how to warm the soil beneath the root zone just enough to make the plants happy, but not cook the roots. The trick will be what combo is in the "compost pile" under.

It's all about light cycles in your area. The closer to the equator you get the more the natural light cycle is 12/12. In some areas in fact, the natural light cycle remains an almost consistant 12/12 year round as opposed to the poles which can have 20 plus hours of light for days on end. I'd recommend looking into sun rise and sun set history of the area and season to determine the best time to flower during the winter months.

:yeahthat: :farm:
I've tried growing tomatoes late in the year and they come up stunted and go into premature flower. This would happen to MJ too, I am sure. This despite the fact that I'm close enough to the equator for my daylight hours to not be more than 13 or less than 11. I have the feeling that around 12-12, small variations make a lot of difference.
Indica, which needs 16 hours to veg, failed completely as seedlings when I tried to germinate and grow in the winter using natural light. Definitely need to use the grow room lamps to encourage them even in the early days after germination or they just sit there for a week or two then die off.

I recommend vegging indoors for outdoor winter harvests. Big plants if possible unless your looking for a more stunted structure. Tomatoes and many other veggies actually need more than 12 hours light to flower properly, they mature under 12/12 but develop much sooner. They're flowering cycle is not the best comparison. In any case, this is why the stunting occured - cooler weather also inhibits the absorption of of Phosphorus - this causes slow growth and stunted structures with most plants also. Sun is really important in the winter season and planting in an area that gets as much as possible is of great importance. Veg allot and use lots of bloom, water soluble nutes and you can easily have a successful winter season.

Thanks to all. I'm going to try 4 or 5 plants just to check it out. Maybe try different method(s) with them. It will be kind of fun to have something to this winter, I'm already beginning to miss growing. Maybe next year I'll be able to harvest twice.

Latest posts

Back