Sub-tropical coastal plantation: First attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Student

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a total n00b at this, and this is my first attempt.

INFO
  1. Geographic location: Transkei, South Africa
  2. Seeds/strain: Unknown, probably Kei
  3. Current Season: Summer (11-13 hours strong sunlight per day)
  4. Precipitation: Soft continuous rainfall lasting a full day, twice a week
  5. Environmental location:
  • Subtropical forest clearing on coast, approx 40 meters from high tide mark
  • Dark, humus-rich topsoil (river bank floodplain I think)
  • Practically an earthworm breeding ground (literally, bucket-loads of earthworm castings)
  • Virgin soil so far as I can tell
I checked out the other plants in the area, most have at least a small degree of waxy coating. I figure this is probably because of salty breezes, what with being so close to the sea. Hoping this might stimulate resin production!

There are three potential problems I see. Firstly, it is possible that other people may come across my plantation 'patches' (there are several). Secondly, bushbuck. Lots of them. Every day I see new spore prints in the forest and on the beach. I haven't yet placed any animal/human hair around, but after reading these forums I will certainly do this. Thirdly, insects.....should I lightly spray the plants with a mild soapy solution?

Picture gives general idea of environment and shows one little patch. Seeds are plentiful - probably planted about 500-700 seeds. I hope at least some survive to maturity.

Any comments/suggestions/criticisms welcome!

View attachment Image121.jpg

You'll want to take a sample of the soil and mix it with some nuetral pH water. See what the pH of the soil is and adjust it if necessary. Being on the coast, you'll prob find it to be alkaline. Hick is the best person I know to tell you how to prep the ground. Drop him a PM.

Thanks for the info stoney_bud. I'll read around these forums first about appropriate soil. At the moment they are growing well, if a little slow.

Latest posts

Back