SubGirl’s Garden

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I need to buy soil anyway. I remember you having luck with MG. Maybe I will try that for the transplant and see if the leaves look better. I feel like the soul is locking up for some reason. I did add more perlite to my last transplant thinking maybe the roots were getting muddy and needed some breathing room down there. I used equal parts of Frog soil and organic soil in the outdoor grow at transplant. Had really good luck with first grow using ocean forest then changing to happy frog but maybe that was just luck.
Have you gone to Church Lately?

I found this chart(and a ton of others showing the same thing) showing nutrient availability vs pH. As peat(an ingredient in most potting soils) breaks down, acidity increases. If it were me(full disclosure, I am not a pH guy as I never check pH), I would gradually increase the pH of your water and feedings(maybe a point or two at a time) so you don’t overshoot. My guess is that when you see the run off start to go up, it will continue to go up as there is probably some hysteresis of the input pH vs output pH. You have a lot of plants so you could even try different schemes on different plants to get a better feel for what a point or two of pH increase does to your output pH over time. It is telling that Ca absorption drops off at a higher pH than Mg but both drop off under 6(it is not like they fall off a cliff, they actually gradually fall from what other charts indicate) and you are seeing CalMag deficiency when your run off is at 5.8. Temperature also plays a role in pH. Higher temps make pH higher which may be why your outdoor plants aren’t showing similar CalMag deficiency. I would guess that the outdoor plants have cooler soil since they are exposed to cooler temps(and variation in temps as well) than your tented plants. Or maybe I am overthinking it. Just my thoughts…
D23066EC-6A54-4D7A-9015-1E848FA5D5F3.jpeg

I am jealous of your grows. You do great work and are very in tune with your plants.

I found this chart(and a ton of others showing the same thing) showing nutrient availability vs pH. As peat(an ingredient in most potting soils) breaks down, acidity increases. If it were me(full disclosure, I am not a pH guy as I never check pH), I would gradually increase the pH of your water and feedings(maybe a point or two at a time) so you don’t overshoot. My guess is that when you see the run off start to go up, it will continue to go up as there is probably some hysteresis of the input pH vs output pH. You have a lot of plants so you could even try different schemes on different plants to get a better feel for what a point or two of pH increase does to your output pH over time. It is telling that Ca absorption drops off at a higher pH than Mg but both drop off under 6(it is not like they fall off a cliff, they actually gradually fall from what other charts indicate) and you are seeing CalMag deficiency when your run off is at 5.8. Temperature also plays a role in pH. Higher temps make pH higher which may be why your outdoor plants aren’t showing similar CalMag deficiency. I would guess that the outdoor plants have cooler soil since they are exposed to cooler temps(and variation in temps as well) than your tented plants. Or maybe I am overthinking it. Just my thoughts…
View attachment 297124
I am jealous of your grows. You do great work and are very in tune with your plants.
Thank you so much for your kind comments OF but I have to give all the credit to this group for any success I’ve had thus far. I am constantly learning and am constantly asking questions like now for help with another successful grow. My brain can only take a bit of learning at a time

Thank you so much for your kind comments OF but I have to give all the credit to this group for any success I’ve had thus far. I am constantly learning and am constantly asking questions like now for help with another successful grow. My brain can only take a bit of learning at a time
I had too much coffee before that post. Maybe too much info and conjecture. Sorry.

View attachment 297124
Looks like by this chart my PH out should be at least 6.5 to be able to absorb the calcium…

I’ve never tried to fix the PH before I’m thinking tho that’s the way you do it. Do I worry about the plants getting to wet in the process?

Latest posts

Back