SubGirl’s Garden

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have grown in my backyard and I am surrounded by tall shade trees. My plants got sun but probably not as much as they would like. I like my trees though so it was what it was. They will be fine. Could you vet some small dolly’s(wheeled platforms) do you could get them into sunbathing areas from time to time? Mrs Fogey got irritated by my plant movements so that stopped. Having a pot tree in the middle of the yard admittedly isn’t the zen thing I am going for in my yard… ;)
I had been watching the areas in my backyard and deck that get the most sun. We live under a 100 year old oak tree with a 4-5 ft trunk which I love as it really keeps our house cool in the summer. I picked four places that get good sun a couple times a day and filtered sun the rest of the day. I’m hoping the plants will get use to our climate like you say it is what it is right? My plants are to big to move around unless there is an emergency like hail or something, I can’t see me moving them although I may eat my words in the future depending on how things go. We have a lot of spiders here and I’m hoping none of them are spider mites. They build beautiful webs around my yard everywhere I don’t like sprays so I usually manage them with a broom in hopes that they choose a better place to build next time. I never kill them and have actually tossed other unwanted bugs in their web. But I have to say they are not allowed on the reefer plants. 😊

I like the way my backyard is shaded. It makes my grass nice and green and gives my plants a break from this god damn Texas heat.
My garden area i even have a big umbrella setup to where it shades my veggies from the hottest part of the day around 2pm thru 6pm. Has really helped my tomatoes and peppers. My house sets where the Sun comes directly over it from east to west everyday. So my umbrella is adjusted over at a certain angle to stop the sun from beating down on my plants in the evening.

View attachment 297461
I think my plants will also enjoy the break from the hot sun all day long. They will still get their share of 2-3 hours full sun each day. I’m hoping they will like it here and adjust to their surroundings

I had been watching the areas in my backyard and deck that get the most sun. We live under a 100 year old oak tree with a 4-5 ft trunk which I love as it really keeps our house cool in the summer. I picked four places that get good sun a couple times a day and filtered sun the rest of the day. I’m hoping the plants will get use to our climate like you say it is what it is right? My plants are to big to move around unless there is an emergency like hail or something, I can’t see me moving them although I may eat my words in the future depending on how things go. We have a lot of spiders here and I’m hoping none of them are spider mites. They build beautiful webs around my yard everywhere I don’t like sprays so I usually manage them with a broom in hopes that they choose a better place to build next time. I never kill them and have actually tossed other unwanted bugs in their web. But I have to say they are not allowed on the reefer plants. 😊
I put spiders i find in my house outside. They eat bugs that want to bite me so they are good in my book, just not in my house.

Well I need to buy soil anyway. I remember you having luck with MG. Maybe I will try that for the transplant and see if the leaves look better. I feel like the soul is locking up for some reason. I did add more perlite to my last transplant thinking maybe the roots were getting muddy and needed some breathing room down there. I used equal parts of Frog soil and organic soil in the outdoor grow at transplant. Had really good luck with first grow using ocean forest then changing to happy frog but maybe that was just luck.
You're familiar with my grow. And you know it's my first one, I think these plants are turning out pretty dang good. This is the soil I used. I did add one bag of perlite and it's 1/3 peat moss as well. One bag of soil one bag of perlite one bag of peat moss was enough to make five buckets.

Attachments

• 20220520_115504.jpg
    20220520_115504.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I'll tell ya, I bought a bag of Miracle-Gro raised bed potting soil to start my next seedlings. I'm not too thrilled with it,, it has a bunch more organic material in it which is very easy to tell, it's also very Woody. The issue that I have with it is there seems to be a bunch of stuff in the raised bed soil that grows, alfalfa sprouts, mushrooms , I even had a couple Blades of grass shoot up out of nowhere. It is an organic soil so I don't know I'll probably try one plant with it just to see how it grows in it but other than that I'm just going to stick with my soil that I know works for now. Plus it cost half as much as Happy Frog soil.

Attachments

• 20220520_120427.jpg
    20220520_120427.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Took the plants outside to give them a little flush with high ph water until I finally got a run off of just over 6.0. Started with PH 7.0 then filled the bucket again with PH 8.0. Had to run 3 gallons of water thru plants two quarts at a time before I got a run off of just around 6.0. Decided that was enough for now. Will check them again at next feeding. This was my first attempt of trying to adjust the PH. Don’t understand why the PH is low tho…

SG
When I had the 25 gallon felt pots in water heater catch pan I used paracord and about 6 feet of it I made a hand loop and tied it to the felt pot handles or drilled a hold in catch pan and tied to them. I then used the para cord by the handle to pull the tray and plant in and out of house during bad weather . I have a deck that lines up same height as my sliding door so it was not bad.

SG
When I had the 25 gallon felt pots in water heater catch pan I used paracord and about 6 feet of it I made a hand loop and tied it to the felt pot handles or drilled a hold in catch pan and tied to them. I then used the para cord by the handle to pull the tray and plant in and out of house during bad weather . I have a deck that lines up same height as my sliding door so it was not bad.
I can slide them around. They arent that heavy to slide around. Hopefully they will like it where they sit. My deck also line up with my patio sliding door but I hope to never have to ring them in. May have to slide them next to the house for protection from a storm maybe The ones on the ground I guess I could dolly into the garage if needed

I can slide them around. They arent that heavy to slide around. Hopefully they will like it where they sit. My deck also line up with my patio sliding door but I hope to never have to ring them in. May have to slide them next to the house for protection from a storm maybe The ones on the ground I guess I could dolly into the garage if needed
Much easier to drag by the paracord or strong line, make it long enough so you dont have to bend over when you move them

most spiders in the garden is a good thing

I hope you get your soil Ph figured out

17th Apr, 2020
Himanshu Verma
G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar
Natural reason of soil acidity or extremely lower pH is rainfall...in area recieving ample amount of rainfall whereby all the base forming cations like Ca Mg K and Na leaches down beyond the root zone and accumulation of hydrogen ions...but it take longer period of time to make soil acidic...another reason of low pH is type and kind of parent materials by which soil is being formed like basalt, granite etc accordingly soil will become acidic or basic
There are again some of the management aspects by which pH may get reduced or tends towards acidity ..addition of organic matter also bring down soil pH as after decomposition of organic matter, secretion of some acids lead to lowering soil pH...
Another might be type and kind of chemical fertilizers application in the soil, example if we are going to apply ammonical fertilizers, as its residual product is acid, which make soil acidic, however application of nitrate fertilizers cause enhancement of soil pH value towards basicity....
Another reason might be deficiencies of certain base forming cations like Ca, Mg K etc, by which there will be lack of hydrogen ions as well as Fe, Mn etc...and if soil is rich in Fe mineral, then Fe will compete with Ca and Mg compound, thereby they got precipitated...hence reduce soil pH...

Again there are many more factors which are responsible for lowering soil pH...

most spiders in the garden is a good thing

I hope you get your soil Ph figured out

17th Apr, 2020
Himanshu Verma
G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar
Natural reason of soil acidity or extremely lower pH is rainfall...in area recieving ample amount of rainfall whereby all the base forming cations like Ca Mg K and Na leaches down beyond the root zone and accumulation of hydrogen ions...but it take longer period of time to make soil acidic...another reason of low pH is type and kind of parent materials by which soil is being formed like basalt, granite etc accordingly soil will become acidic or basic
There are again some of the management aspects by which pH may get reduced or tends towards acidity ..addition of organic matter also bring down soil pH as after decomposition of organic matter, secretion of some acids lead to lowering soil pH...
Another might be type and kind of chemical fertilizers application in the soil, example if we are going to apply ammonical fertilizers, as its residual product is acid, which make soil acidic, however application of nitrate fertilizers cause enhancement of soil pH value towards basicity....
Another reason might be deficiencies of certain base forming cations like Ca, Mg K etc, by which there will be lack of hydrogen ions as well as Fe, Mn etc...and if soil is rich in Fe mineral, then Fe will compete with Ca and Mg compound, thereby they got precipitated...hence reduce soil pH...

Again there are many more factors which are responsible for lowering soil pH...
Will this material be on the final exam?

I add CalMag and EM-1 once a week just to keep my plants happy.
Got ya, 👍 I was just curious as to the soil mixture itself. I just got my calmag and I'll continue to use the fish fertilizer you recommended that fish fertilizers worked really well and cleared up the yellowing within a week when they were in veg mode. I still have some yellowing on the plants that has developed but they are in flower mode now and these are order leaves so...not to worried about it. I did add a little fish fertilizer with my cal-mag on this last watering at about 1/4 strength, I figured it couldn't hurt and such a low dose. Plus that gallon of water was split up between 4 plants.

I add CalMag and EM-1 once a week just to keep my plants happy. You can get both of them from Amazon.

View attachment 297497

[View attachment 297494
I was actually just looking into beneficial microbes the other day. It wasn't EM-1 but some other brand they had at the store. I've been really interested in adding things like that to the soil, something I will try on some upcoming grows. I watch a lot of documentaries on nature and how things interact with each other so I know that microbes and other things help plants in spectacular ways.
Have you ever heard of anybody adding live earthworms to their soil? It was just an idea I had thought maybe it would be good for the plants. I was even tossing the idea around in my head of in the future ordering some type of beneficial fungus to help the soil. I don't know if any of these things will work and it is something I have yet to study up on but I got all the time in the world so...

Latest posts

Back