SubGirl’s grow with new Spider Farmer SF-2000 light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The west coast could sure use a dimmer switch on the sun right about now... in a 8yr drought..

Took a direct lightening strike 5yrs ago.. our old place. Blew out both kitchen windows, shattered the phone box and blew it 20ft off the house. Direct hit to aluminum drip edge on porch roof, split 4x4 post, went into the ground and split my tree roots. went under my wooden fence into neighbors yard, blew out his window. hit his metal trailer he keeps riding mower on.... chased it up to his brand new $40k truck and fried all the control modules....

Yeah, lightening can really suk...
Yikes!

The west coast could sure use a dimmer switch on the sun right about now... in a 8yr drought..

Took a direct lightening strike 5yrs ago.. our old place. Blew out both kitchen windows, shattered the phone box and blew it 20ft off the house. Direct hit to aluminum drip edge on porch roof, split 4x4 post, went into the ground and split my tree roots. went under my wooden fence into neighbors yard, blew out his window. hit his metal trailer he keeps riding mower on.... chased it up to his brand new $40k truck and fried all the control modules....

That was a fearful lightning strike no one got hurt it seem. That poor truck. The closes time lightening came close to me was in FL 30 ft away it hit a tree in the back yard. Although I had many power boxes hit on the telephone poles on the street. OK let me think whats on my to do list for the day. I know I have to tend to the girls. Coffee I'm going to pick up my room and watch a little TV. ☺️

Dang Carty, did y’all feel any of that? I’ll bet that was scary too. We use to get some serious lightning at our old place in Georgia. So close sometimes you could taste it in your mouth(so weird) We lost all the electronics in our house but no broken windows. My friend tho got a 4foot hole in their kitchen floor from lighting. I respect the lighting.

Hey girl... bring your light down to 2ft and in a week down to 18" from the 24" ok... I'm running a light with similar power levels and the plants love it. LED's are so different and the plants can almost grow into the light and touch it without burning once mature. HPS it would burn big time.

I think your doing awesome with these, sorry not been around to help ya...
Good morning Carty, so I lowered my lights to 24” and turned them down a bit because of a couple of drying leaves probably due to me not wanting to over water them. I started giving them more water but haven’t yet soaked the whole pot but I think they may be big enough now to water them more. So far they have been on 24/0 light cycle but I feel sure it’s time to change them. Is it to soon to change the light cycle? and if not should I go to18/6?
the spider farmer lights seem to be doing a great job and I’m glad to see the plants
26AB4952-56D6-47E9-A2F7-898C932B0783.jpeg
are finally growing quicker even tho one is lagging behind a little…

Can’t say I’m not disappointed in the older leaves on three of the plants I think I caused this by maybe not enough water when they were little because I was so worried about over watering them. Still the same, they are on their way all new growth looking good but I plan to add some calmag with my next watering just the same…The two trizkit plants are a bit slower but that could also have been my fault as just a day after a decent water they were lighter than the others and needed another drink so I’ll have to watch each plant on this separately from now on. I’ve been working my lights back up to full power but am slow to do it as these lights are blinding brite turned all the way up. They don’t create heat which is good but I’m leery about putting full blast lights on them still the same. Carty says they can take it and love it so I’m inching it up a bit at a time…
im ok with my temps at 84 and humidity at 55% right now. it feels pretty good in the tent and I have good circulation and two additional fans blowing the leaves a little to make them strong.

776DD8D6-CF27-4DBC-873C-B8C6BBAA448A.jpeg

D41B474F-4E7A-4849-BBC5-8687336A9211.jpeg
E5E65C6E-2281-41FC-8105-34B12C7FF659.jpeg
C613DD2F-0CAF-4CC0-AA62-52484903FBF3.jpeg

E26F2F4A-10D7-47CF-8B79-0F328812F16B.jpeg

autos are growing right along each one a bit different but still no overwhelming issues. The Spider Farmer light is still about 24” above the grow. Plan on lowering it as soon as I work up to 100% on the light now on 90%. Plants don’t seem as afraid as I do of those brite lights.
23058403-96D4-4BD7-9E04-E30FB24750EA.jpeg

the little runt that was behind (whiskey Zulu) is now my biggest and most energetic plant. the tent conditions seem perfect for it.
8BBB44A7-FAFE-44C3-98DE-962C1BCBFB6E.jpeg

the knows candy plants are next up. These two plants had some copper leaves on them. I removed some and left some to see if the cal mag I started them on was helping. They seem to be doing ok and the new leaf growth has no issues that I can see.
ACD45D7C-A251-43FC-AFE6-769360E5840E.jpeg

C2D4B7A9-BBF9-49A6-8D22-DAE23C09838F.jpeg

the Trizkit plants are a bit smaller and seem to have some issues like nute burn and light older leaves. I have not given any nutrients as of now aside of the calmag as I was assuming the strawberry preloaded soil was still doing the trick for them. I’ll have to look back on Cartys page to see when he starts them on nutrients. The plants seem to still be living life especially the new growth although like I said are a bit slower and smaller in comparison to the others as of now.

I just read up on Cartys page about feeding. So it looks like I’m late on starting nutes according to Cartys way. I’ve always had good luck with just using what the preloaded soil provided on my photo plants. I would transplant them 3 times in fresh soil and not feed them until almost flower time. I’m using FF nutes so I’ll give them a little dose tomorrow with their water. Also I’ve not watered till runoff yet and I think I will just so I can check the PH. I find they drink pretty fast so I’m thinking the roots have a good enough start now to do this.

Did a veg feed today for the first time using FF veg food. Watered till runoff with 6.5 and runoff readings in all pots were around 5.3. Will adjust that with next watering.
moved SpiderFarmer light to 100% today. Plan to lower light to 18” soon as I feel they like the 100%. Probably in the next day or two. Let’s see how those nite do too.

Plants are looking great really... remember, with rapid growth comes need for foods. Looks like you could use more Nitrogen by the looks of the lower leaf colors going a bit pale.

Best advice I got that got rid of that necrosis your getting is this.. begin using Calmag at wk 2 of veg and silica..
I use calmag_+ by Envy. I chose it because it has an NPK of 4-0-0, since then I've had almost no issues..
The silica is something found natural outdoors in the dirt.. by adding it your increasing your plants resistance to stress, building up it's cell walls to help fight bugs.. so many good points to it...

Have you removed your Cotyledon leaf's yet? right about now is a good time, I do it at 2wks old.. remove the little round leaf that comes out 1st and the single blade pot leaf just above it. this will promote upward growth as it allows the plant to concentrate more energy on the upper part of the plant.. works great for me so I do it to all of my plants.. and topping now after trying it this run, I topped 3 of the 4 and they are out performing it big time..

Plants are looking great really... remember, with rapid growth comes need for foods. Looks like you could use more Nitrogen by the looks of the lower leaf colors going a bit pale.

Best advice I got that got rid of that necrosis your getting is this.. begin using Calmag at wk 2 of veg and silica..
I use calmag_+ by Envy. I chose it because it has an NPK of 4-0-0, since then I've had almost no issues..
The silica is something found natural outdoors in the dirt.. by adding it your increasing your plants resistance to stress, building up it's cell walls to help fight bugs.. so many good points to it...

Have you removed your Cotyledon leaf's yet? right about now is a good time, I do it at 2wks old.. remove the little round leaf that comes out 1st and the single blade pot leaf just above it. this will promote upward growth as it allows the plant to concentrate more energy on the upper part of the plant.. works great for me so I do it to all of my plants.. and topping now after trying it this run, I topped 3 of the 4 and they are out performing it big time..
How tall and how many nodes before you topped? I removed cotyledon leaves today along with a couple that were driving me crazy. I will add calmag earlier next time to try to prevent this. I’ve been using FF calmag because it’s what I have. I will also order some silica to try and help the plants resistance. I fed them nutrients today for the first time and checked PH runoff which was a bit low so I’ll try to bring it up a bit next watering. Looking forward to see if the two smaller ones respond to the nutes. I know I started them late but thought that the strawberry soil would carry them for a bit longer. I just reread your post about starting them on nutes early yesterday. I will say Carty, I do like the strawberry soil so far. I didn’t mix it with organic mix this time because a recent nightmare from thrips after using organic mix. I my go with it again especially outside but for now I’m shying away. I so far have no gnats which I think is amazing.

9132B498-441B-4B89-A1E1-2311497E16D1.jpeg

took out each plant today for examination. Decided to top them all even the shorter ones as they all had at least six nodes on them. The shorter plants, the two Trizkits nodes are very close together. All the plants seem to be loving life under the Spider Farmer bright 100% lights at 18”
0BD6D63B-941C-43FF-A110-95FFF31DF5DB.jpeg

found my lights on when they shouldn’t have been last night. I’m usually not up at that hour but was last night. Looks like my timer is dead. Ordered one that should be here tomorrow. Until then, the girls will have to deal with 24/0.

35E11053-E186-4F2E-B368-246311124582.jpeg

Latest posts

Back