SubGirl’s grow with new Spider Farmer SF-2000 light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PPFD map from Amazon.
26AFFEA3-4FF9-46B3-B565-C8C0A85032CC.jpeg

So I’ve never started seeds under LED lighting. I’ve only started them in my little greenhouse with cool white plant light. Should be interesting getting them started and keeping the stretch at bay with either height adjustment or light Intensity. To be honest I’d rather start them the way I’m comfortable in my little greenhouse as I’ve had good results but I agreed to a seed to harvest grow so I have to come out of my comfort zone a bit. Also, Carty suggested if you have feminized seeds, you can start them out in 2 gallon pots so there is no room for anything like that in my tiny greenhouse. The two gallon pots 10” high arrived today. So I guess I’m in for the ride now. Still need to buy soil but have a few days as the flower tent is still finishing up.

It has been my experience that the temperature of the soil/medium is far more important than light when starting seeds. With those LEDs I would be surprised if you have a problem with stretching at any height.
A lot of stretching comes from the wavelength of the lights. Bluer lighting gives short compact plants. Redder lighting gives lankier plants. Full spectrum doesn’t describe the ratios of blue to red, only that most wavelengths are available. I am interested in how these SF lights work out. They have good reviews and I have seen some excellent results. Kudos to @SubmarineGirl for sticking to a strict ‘seed to harvest’ scheme in the interest of showing how well SF fixtures work for a grow in totality.

So I’ve never started seeds under LED lighting. I’ve only started them in my little greenhouse with cool white plant light. Should be interesting getting them started and keeping the stretch at bay with either height adjustment or light Intensity. To be honest I’d rather start them the way I’m comfortable in my little greenhouse as I’ve had good results but I agreed to a seed to harvest grow so I have to come out of my comfort zone a bit. Also, Carty suggested if you have feminized seeds, you can start them out in 2 gallon pots so there is no room for anything like that in my tiny greenhouse. The two gallon pots 10” high arrived today. So I guess I’m in for the ride now. Still need to buy soil but have a few days as the flower tent is still finishing up.
You can dim the lights and lower it closer.

No biggie, before flower stage, lights can be higher, or dimmed a touch.

Bubba

A4FC3DA1-750D-4939-AFBB-2F8CA21D3245.jpeg

so the Josie clones are digging the new spider farmer light. I just emptied the flower tent today. Plan to get it cleaned and disinfected so I can move these girls in for their turn at flower. They are ready to be scrogged down and cleaned up but I haven’t seen any bugs and the new growth is minus the calmag cry So we are off to a good start. I’ve still been spraying the dirt and leaves just in case.

Let the fun begin. While the Josie girls are enjoying there last days under the new Spider Farmer light before going to the flower tent, getting the 7 auto seeds I have on hand (complementary seeds from the Atlantic seed company with my last order) ready to go. Dropped them in a glass of PH water tonight. Hopefully they sink and I will put them in moist paper towels in a warm oven mitt (like Carty) tomorrow to grow some tap root. Let’s hope that all 7 seeds pop so we can get this show on the road.
B6782A6A-C193-40CD-9D49-996B520B8282.jpeg

Seeds all sunk. Put them in moist paper towels and plastic and in the oven mitt hopefully they will be popping soon. Cleaned the heck out of both tents today. Moved Josie girls in the flower tent but havent changed lighting yet. They are looking really healthy but I may let them relax in veg for another week or to to get use to the light. Still need to put a scrog net down to open the canopy. Will make up 7 pots of soil tomorrow and give them a little water to moisten it down and have time to dry a bit before setting the seeds in.

Took a little peek at the seed this morning and all have popped except for the single white widow. That seed was not marked feminized so it may be a blessing in disguise But, I’ll still check it again tomorrow. I think the tails will be long enough to plant tomorrow. Carty let’s his get 2” so I’m kinda for going for that.
AFB263A4-D7B9-497C-B456-33BA88CF03CD.jpeg
DE797A53-3320-4353-8085-0EAA4B8FA140.jpeg
23AF2C67-047E-4091-86C3-4CA70A163E3B.jpeg

52F390B0-318C-423A-930C-78A94B1701BC.jpeg

mixing up soil for the 7- 2 gallon pots. Decided not to incorporate the organic bat-**** stuff as I just had thrip issues with a similar soil and well, I’m still afraid so it’s getting the strawberry soil plus a bit extra perlite and peat. I had just enough mycorrhiza inoculants left over from the freakshow plants for the 7 pots mixed it in lightly mid way in the pots. maybe it will help the root system.
99E511E0-D067-4E6E-B238-FDEDD0ADA3CA.jpeg

So as per usual, if these plants grow good I will again have a crowded tent. I am the master of overcrowding 😁 well the white widow has not popped yet when I checked them this morning and two of the other seed were not marked feminized so I still may have room…
18C0D0DE-938F-47AE-A9A0-A96D308C0D92.jpeg

gonna moisten the soil a little in the pots mostly around the edges leaving the middle dry so that I can appropriately moisten it during planting. (probably with a spray bottle). Gonna see what kind of temperature and humidity I get in the tent to see if I need to adjust anything.

I have something like this I use to water in my tent with. The long handle makes it easier in my back(less bending over). I am not sure if it gets more oxygen into the soil but it may since it kind of aerosolizes the water with the right nozzle. Gives you pinpoint watering accuracy too(lol). Some of the nutrient I use are a little chunky and can clog the sprayer but if your nutes dissolve completely, that shouldn’t be a problem. I think it is the humic and fulvic acid chunks that don’t dissolve well in my nutes. Works well for foliar feeding and pest control applications as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Gal-Deck-Sprayer-190663/313928600

I have something like this I use to water in my tent with. The long handle makes it easier in my back(less bending over). I am not sure if it gets more oxygen into the soil but it may since it kind of aerosolizes the water with the right nozzle. Gives you pinpoint watering accuracy too(lol). Some of the nutrient I use are a little chunky and can clog the sprayer but if your nutes dissolve completely, that shouldn’t be a problem. I think it is the humic and fulvic acid chunks that don’t dissolve well in my nutes. Works well for foliar feeding and pest control applications as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Gal-Deck-Sprayer-190663/313928600
Yes, this might work in this application or I need to rig up a sprinkle bottle to make water easier. These plants will be more sensitive to water especially in the early stages.. I will look in my shed. I may have one

Latest posts

Back