Suckers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high-bred

Fluorescent Farmer
Reaction score
Are you supposed to cut off or pull off suckers from the plant or just let it grow how it wants?

yes....please come back and tell us what your talking about....my curiosity is peaked now :confused:

high-bred said:
Are you supposed to cut off or pull off suckers from the plant or just let it grow how it wants?

My first advice is to read a couple grow guides, including the one provided in this forum.

I have read the grow guide but I did not find adequate coverage on this subject. I know with tomato plants you're supposed to pull off the suckers because they consume energy and direct it towards leafing as opposed to growing taller and eventually flowering. Suckers are little branches that grow right where another branch connects with the main stem. Perhaps they are called something else when referring to marijuana?
Agg6-4b.jpg

high-bred said:
I have read the grow guide but I did not find adequate coverage on this subject. I know with tomato plants you're supposed to pull off the suckers because they consume energy and direct it towards leafing as opposed to growing taller and eventually flowering. Suckers are little branches that grow right where another branch connects with the main stem. Perhaps they are called something else when referring to marijuana?
Agg6-4b.jpg
Hey High-Bred! Good to meetcha man. That's a good question. In the gardening world, a sucker growth is thought of exactly as you say. On a tomato plant, it robs the fruit of nutes and may cause too many fruit in one area for maximum fruit size.

With MJ, it's really not a concern, depending on the type of grow you're doing. If you're using LST, then those side growths will most turn to viable branches. If you're going straight up then trim the ones that don't show increased growth. It's really no big deal unless, you ARE going with LST.

Good luck man.

those pieces you are speaking of can be used as clones if you are that apt to remove them

i have also seen some growers who trim off the top colas...then put the lady back in the flower room to allow the smaller "popcorn" buds to get bigger

Thanks for the good info. I was thinking of using LST on one of my plants and use the other as a control because I have never tried it before. I've read the debates on here about LST vs. pruning and have decided to see what works best for myself. Thanks again Stoney Bud and LdyLunatic.

...and I've seen lotsa' growers.."skirt" the lower branching that doesn't recieve adequate luighting. Like ladyL said...great for clones!

Mind if I throw in my 2 cents.
I don't top indoors. I myself never found a perk to it. Got the same yeild either way. To me it was stress that didn't show any benefit. I LST a lot. as I found my yeild did better by getting light to a lot of the lower branches with out raising the light away from them by maximizing the main cola. I kept the main cola, but more branches about the same size as the top. Still got it bushy too with a more even canopy to maximize the light distribusion.
but what ever works best as no two grows by two different people are ever the same. try each way. or do like stoney and utilize both methods. trial and error. No way is the wrong way. and clone away. ;) Good luck.

Latest posts

Back