Summer Heat!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Classic

Reaction score
My part of the world is in the hottest and driest summer on record. Our temps have been around 105F for several weeks now. I have a rather large July 4 party at my place each year so I waited until late June to plant my seeds.

I had 10 seeds break ground. The dog got two of them. Six of them have died from the heat. The two remaining plants were looking very healthy until yesterday. Now, they're looking a little burned and droopy.

The plants are in pots so I've moved them to a shady area and I'm hoping for a recovery. In the meantime, I've planted 4 more seeds. I hope I can baby them through the rest of the summer as I'd sure like to get a fall crop.

Other than keeping the plants out of the afternoon sun, I'm not sure what else to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure where you are at but MM who lives in desert would place soaking wet newspapers around the top of her pots that her plants were in.

They would do better planted in the ground where the soil stays cooler.

I paint some of my pots white to reflect the sun. It keeps the roots cooler. I also water a lot more than the proscribed every three days. I water every day. My temps will get over the 100 mark over the summer often (like the last few days), but I do get shade in the later part of the day. My plants actually only get about six-seven hours of sun a day, though the days are 15 hours longest.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back