1. Bud of the Month: Squish / No name plant
    Dismiss Notice

Super hot pepper advice

Discussion in 'Gardening General' started by CasualGrower, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Dec 20, 2017 #1

CasualGrower

CasualGrower

CasualGrower

OK.... I have a friend that is looking for the best advice she can get for growing some super hot peppers...... Talking Carolina and California reapers.... Some other super hot varieties....... I am asking this forum because you all are some of the BEST botanists I can think of asking..... FIRE..... I have no experience with these..... just thought I would ask those that might know )

2. Dec 20, 2017 #2

Rosebud

Rosebud

Rosebud

Organic dirt farmer Staff Member Admin Moderator

Good soil, good air, good genetics.

3. Dec 20, 2017 #3

umbra

umbra

umbra

that's what I did, just basic stuff and let the genetics in the peppers come out. The bad part was the peppers were so hot, no one could eat them. Mine were scorpion peppers and you needed gloves to even pick them

4. Mar 7, 2018 #4

Dogweed

Dogweed

Dogweed

I grow Ghost peppers every couple of years. I tried Carolina Reaper last year but I couldn't get them to take. I find keeping the soil slightly dryer than I do for my MaryJane works wonders with the ghost peppers. As far as nutrients go, I give them the organic BigBloom from FoxFarms here and there along with CalMag.

Funny story. My first Ghost pepper plant and the largest I've grown , grew in an abandoned hydroponic pot I tossed outside as trash after I thought it failed to take. The roots loved the stagnate hydro mix at the bottom of the pale. It thrived in there for 6 months only getting rain water from time to time. The harvest from that plant lasted me 5 years and I was giving peppers away like hot cakes.

Good Luck

5. Mar 12, 2018 #5

Maxlass

Maxlass

Maxlass

Good soil with good drainage in a large pot. I use fish emulsion and feed them often early but back off when they flower. Keep them moist but not wet. This works for me but I grow harbeneros and jalepenos as I like flavour rather than ridiculous heat. Have to plant some again soon. Also have a big bird's eye that grew by itself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6. Mar 12, 2018 #6

zem

zem

zem

I grew super hot peppers in hydro ebb and flow. they seem to love it and love a lot of light too