Super-Simple cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so what is a good cloning gel/liquid. I have used dry cloning hormone with roses, before. But it dident work with my cuttings from my mother. so yea whats the best cloning solution you think?

I have always used dry cloning powders. I never have a problem with then and could not recomend a gel/liquid.

This is so awesome! We've been struggling with using cloning machines of various types and this look so much easier and more productive. Right now we are growing in soil, but want to switch to WATER FARMS hydro because we have been told we can shorten our cycles significantly and then we can quit worring about transplanting into bigger pots before flowering.

My question is, is it practial to take these rooted clones and move them into WATER FARM combo DWC/Areoponic hydro systems in individual 5 gallon buckets using either coco chips or clay balls for growing media?

If so , do we need to try to the clean the soil off of the roots so that is won't get down into the solution and plug up the pump systems?

If so, how do we do that without causing damaging the roots and causing problems that way?

I know for sure that I'm going to try this the next time I clone, which might be today or tomorrow because I've got 4 low riders that I'm about to transplant and then put into bud.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!

Don Jones

Do you think I could get the same results using Happy Frog potting soil and perlite? Or is it to hot? And how often do you water the cutting before roots? Thanks

I have never used HappyFrog so I have no idea about it. Try it for yourself and see. As far as watering goes when the soil looks dry water it with PH 7 water normally every 2 to 3 days. I don't usually check for roots, When the cutting starts growing I transplant, this has been at the 10th to 18th day after taking from the mother plant. Usually the stem starts thickening then new growth appears

Don Jones, what type of cloning machine have you been using? I recently bought an ez-cloner 120 site machine and have it under 4 4" t5s and it kicks serious butt. I dare say I love that thing, one of my best growing purchases. I just cut my clones, dip them in clonex and put them in the machine. Not 1 clone has died. And to all the people that are going to say that ez-cloners cost to much, I do a lot of DIY and I just wanted something that worked and worked right now. Every clone I have placed in the machine has rooted. I will need to post some pictures of the clones. I found that once the clone roots, I can put it in a 2" x 2" rockwool cube and put them back into the machine and let them root a while longer. The machine is not meant to work like that and yet it does. :)

SicSativa said:
Do you think I could get the same results using Happy Frog potting soil and perlite? Or is it to hot? And how often do you water the cutting before roots? Thanks

I used ocean forest for years with success, but have never tried happy frog for cuttings. I would think that their Light warrior would be an excellent choice.

My question is, is it practial to take these rooted clones and move them into WATER FARM combo DWC/Areoponic hydro systems in individual 5 gallon buckets using either coco chips or clay balls for growing media?

If so , do we need to try to the clean the soil off of the roots so that is won't get down into the solution and plug up the pump systems?

If so, how do we do that without causing damaging the roots and causing problems that way?
....DJ, if you're going to put them in a hydro system, just "forget" the soil/dirt. Use 100% perlite.
In fact, I'm a dirt farmer, and I have found that straight perlite is "THE" way to go..IMO.
No soil makes it a simple task to check the root development. Simply submerge the entire cup in a bucket of water. The perlite floats and allows you to remove the cutting from the cup to inspect the roots. If it hasn't developed enough roots, stick it back down in the perlite/cup and allow it to continue.

SicSativa said:

I've used FFOF for 10 years or so and recently I tried some Happy Frog cuz my local shop had it on sale. I'd never HF before and after one test spin I HATE this stuff. For shanizzle n giggles I grew some bagseed seedlings to test it and it burned the daylights out of many different seedlings... and each seedling was from a different sack of bagseed... I threw the last of it out in my flower bed and worked it in but I'll never get any of that again. I was really miffed and surprised at how poor HF performed, especially for a Foxfarm product... I'm glad I didn't grow any high dollar seeds in that stuff...

Peace!:cool:

DonJones said:
This is so awesome! We've been struggling with using cloning machines of various types and this look so much easier and more productive.

Sorry DonJones but WHAT could be any easier than using a cloning machine? If you're having problems my guess is it's either a pathogen or ph issue. Do you thoroughly clean and disinfect your cloner periodically? Is it a commercial cloning machine or a DIY? Is it light-tight? Are your air hoses black so they don't allow any light down into the water? You should be rooting clones SILLY with cloning machines and then transplanting them directly into your net pots using any of the hydroton/coir/silica, etc. hydro option that you choose to grow in.

Hmmmmm....:confused:

dirtyolsouth said:
I've used FFOF for 10 years or so and recently I tried some Happy Frog cuz my local shop had it on sale. I'd never HF before and after one test spin I HATE this stuff. For shanizzle n giggles I grew some bagseed seedlings to test it and it burned the daylights out of many different seedlings... and each seedling was from a different sack of bagseed... I threw the last of it out in my flower bed and worked it in but I'll never get any of that again. I was really miffed and surprised at how poor HF performed, especially for a Foxfarm product... I'm glad I didn't grow any high dollar seeds in that stuff...

Peace!:cool:
ya' know, my shop was outta OF too. I went ahead and purchased a bag of happy frog and mixed it approximately 70/30 happy frog to light warrior. I'm not having any issues..:confused2:...

I use sand. Plain old sand. Stole some from the kids sandbox nextdoor. Dug out a couple of cat turds and rinsed the sand in tap water. Filled up some plastic beer cups with sand, dipped the clones in powdered hormones and plopped them in. With drainage holes of course...:)

Rooted like crazy at every node! Works like a charm, has for 40 years....Cheap too. Damn near 100% success rate with the babies.

Now THAT"S oldskool! ;)

Like OldSkool I do the same, except I use coco. Have an excellent success rate unless the weather is too hot.

That is the key to cloning find what works for you and stick with it.

That is a great idea JBonez that is imo the hardest thing about the way of cloning is checking for roots

Ozzy, if i may add my personal opinion.

Soil, especially FFOF, which ive got plenty of experience with tends to dry up and make it difficult for even penetration of solution without flooding it.

Coco, which has a better mix of air/nutrient/water ratios, has become my fav way of cloning with this method.

FFOF is just a super water retaining bag of one week fertilizer, that sure enough does its job, but once its been tapped is nothing more than a pain in the but imo.

Coco, which im noticing amongst more and more growers, is quickly making its way into homes of the best and worst growers.

It doesnt need to really be mixed with perlite, it dries and retains a much better ratio of air/solution, and it absorbs water like a sponge, even absorption means less solution needed. FF tends to form a crust that appears to actually repel water if you dont keep it somewhat moist.

You can rub your hands in it forever and it washes off as if it were plastic, and vacuums nicely to boot. Easy also for beneficials to thrive as it is an organic material as well.

My grow shop guy says FF has changed OF since they began producing it on the east coast. He says they are using pine bark instead of redwood mulch, and it is becoming hotter still. I'm only quoting a capitalist shop owner here, so don't crucify me. He could have other motives--like another vendor could be stroking him so he strokes his customers.

I've changed over to Orgainicare Pure Earth, a coco coir mix. I'm still not up on when to water yet since the coco doesn't seem to ever dry out, but I'm getting there.

Would it be too late to do this, while in the second week of the flowering stage???? From what ive read, you can clone, but it would take a little longer for the plants to revert and root, than cloning from the veg stage

I have cloned off plant in their 5th week of flowering with this method of cloning. The clone go thru reveg then start growing like a normal clone.

IME root took a little longer to grow and the plant took longer to reach a size to clone from or put into flowering

Latest posts

Back