supercropping dilemna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I have 3 plants growing in a 2m tent and the lights (600w hps) are already as high as they can go and the plant tops are about a foot below.
They are just ending their stretch ( I hope!) and have started to develop the cola bud sites at the end of the branches (3 weeks flower).
I had already topped them back in veg at the fourth node hoping to reduce their height, but these plants are vigorous photoperiod fems (Think Fast by Dutch Passion)
The plants are all healthy, but what can I do about the height?
Should I supercrop them (bend over the tallest stems) now or wait until the colas are more developed?
It's not easy to tie them down but I am pushing the tallest plant more to the corner of the tent so that the light is at a greater angle and thus weaker.
So far, the leaves show no sign of heat stress or light bleaching and the temps are staying at 17-26C with 12/12 light cycle.
I don't want to damage these plants by supercropping them wrong but I also don't want them to be damaged by light stress. Any advice would be appreciated.

At 3 weeks into flower stretch should be finished. I wouldn't supercrop 3 weeks into flower. There is more involved with supercropping than bending the stem over as a way to train the plant. Bending the stems as a form of training ie bondage is a good way to gain a few inches between light and plant.

WHAT IS SUPERCROPPING?
supercropping involves causing high amounts of planned stress to your plant to provoke a defensive response. This results in bushier plants with larger yields - thanks to a hormonal response to the damage you cause. This damage is caused by carefully bending branches to damage their inner tissue- without breaking them.

Thanks, they have stopped stretching, but what would you do with the too-tall colas?

The cola branches are just starting to develop buds near the top that will eventually link up into a big cola. So far, I can play around with the differences in light intensity around the tent and place the tallest plants at the edges.

With my 600w hps, I am currently getting readings of about 70,000-100,000+ lumens at the canopy and I think that above 90,000 it can cause light burn. Heat doesn't appear to be a problem and light bleaching is also not an issue so far, so I keep holding off doing anything.

Is there any consensus about when it is best to supercrop?

Since high stress can cause hermies, wouldn't it be better to wait until the colas are more developed before supercropping the stems?

I suggest you try low stress training. Supercropping in flower isn't something I you do.

That's what Yo-Yo's are for. Worth the expense and don't delay. Burnt buds don't react well.

Latest posts

Back