Swamp/ evaporative cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishnish

Nug Lover
Reaction score
Howdy ol' fam! Been some years but I'm still kick'n!
Straight to the point, I have a small grow using 600w. Heat is an issue, I live in a dry climate and after a lil research, I've decided a evaporative cooling system could be perfect for my situation. And to save some trial and error, I'm curious for input on the use of such systems. Mainly my concern is that I don't wanna give up more than 15" x 15" of space and how much water is evaporated in gal/hour. Store bought or DIY? And any info that one may consider pertinent that I haven't thought of..

Thanks for taking the time to consider a response!

Grow area is approx: 3'x4'x8'. (Extra shower in 2nd bath)

Last edited:
Well, (I know, deep subject)train of thought restored. I do use a version of a "swamp cooler" to help keep the temps from getting too high. Let`s try to set it up. My garden room is built in the back corner of my garage. Inside measures about 7'x7'x7'. Two passive intakes, 24"x4" and 18"x4". One 8" exhaust fan. Have boxes built under the intakes to hold frozen gallon milk jugs. One holds 3 jugs, the other holds 2 jugs. They last about 4-5 hours before needing to be changed. Even have heat issues using LED`s in the hot weather. Garden room is well insulated on all 6 sides.

I would recommend a "store bought" cooler. The one you buy should tell you the evaporation rate. Or if you find a good buy used, tyou should be able to experiment or find the info on line. Frozen milk jugs will not accomplish the same thing as they do not put moisture in the air, like an evaporative cooler. What yooper has described is more of a DIY A/C than an evaporative cooler.

IMO, the swamp cooler does not necessarily need to be within the confines of the shower. Just having it in the bathroom space will most likely provide enough humidity. You may actually be able to use something like a fogger in that small space rather than a swamp cooler if all you are looking for is higher humidity.

I had to keep frozen bottles of water in my DWC,s when i was growing in Florida to keep water temps down.

Also, I do use a store bought evaporative cooler in conjunction with the DIY A/C. All in all it helps keep my temps under control. Can not imagine the heat problems I would have with any of the "hot" lights.

I had to keep frozen bottles of water in my DWC,s when i was growing in Florida to keep water temps down.

Have heard of other people doing likewise in their systems. Whatever works.

Yepper,,,If it works,,thats what counts.

Thanks for the feedback folks. My main reason for wanting the swamp cooler is to bring down temps and the added humidity is merely a bonus for my climate. I'm just looking for something that'll fit my space and won't have to be refilled more than once a day.
It hard to find a swamp cooler at the store here in alaska in mid February, lol. I'll keep looking for a bit before I turn to an online purchase.

Check thrift stores and used building supply stores.

Latest posts

Back