Switch light types??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craterlake

Reaction score
Hi folks! How's it growin!?! I have a question...Once you put the plants under a HPS lamp, can they be put back under fluorescents if they are still in veg? My dilemma is that I have a couple of my plants that are close to flower time. I do have another chamber with just the flo. in it., so I was going to put the smaller plants back under them while I flower the other ones. Is this advisable? I could just wait until they were all ready, but the one would undoubtedly out grow my space, height wise! LOL!!

tanks!

I don't understand whatcha mean?, I've changed out lights from hps to t5, In my tent I'm running 832w 95K lumens :), 432w t5 setup and 400w HPS.

I don't see a problem with that idea.....I hve done that before with no problems.

Roddy said:
HEYA Crater, how's it going??

Well Roddy, it's going pretty good! :) I haven't learned how to upload pics yet, but I actually haven't been trying. I have a new computer, so I will try again, but maybe not with Picasa! LOL!! I've had folks reccommend 'paint', but I haven't looked into that yet either. Not sure how that works...
How's things growin' with you? I have five healthy plants going. Have no idea what they are except for the auto. She's definitely a lady! Cute little plant!

Friend-of-a-friend said:
I veg strictly under florous, and have no probs.

OK, that sounds good. How much light is needed? I have seven lights at this time. They were given to me and I have them all hooked together to concentrate the light, but I have never worked with fluoros before, so I have no idea about the lumens with these lights?

If the flouros have a blue looking light(5000k to 6500k) they will work for vegging and if the light looks orange they are 2700K and good for use in flowering

craterlake said:
OK, that sounds good. How much light is needed? I have seven lights at this time. They were given to me and I have them all hooked together to concentrate the light, but I have never worked with fluoros before, so I have no idea about the lumens with these lights?
Yu need to make sure if possible that you are getting at least 3000lumens per sqft to avoid stretching. The amount of lumens per bulb depends on the type of floros they are, and how many watts they use, and if they are T5, T8, or T12. The T5HO are the best as they are high output. The 4'ers use 54watts and put out about 5000lumens per bulb. The T8s are good but don't produce the lumens that the T5s do. The T12s are nearly worthless. I have a 2.5'x4' space and run 8 T5HO bulbs in it which gives me 40k lumens :) I would say to get them all in place about 2" apart if they are singles and keep the plants within a few inches of them for best results :)

Hushpuppy said:
Yu need to make sure if possible that you are getting at least 3000lumens per sqft to avoid stretching. The amount of lumens per bulb depends on the type of floros they are, and how many watts they use, and if they are T5, T8, or T12. The T5HO are the best as they are high output. The 4'ers use 54watts and put out about 5000lumens per bulb. The T8s are good but don't produce the lumens that the T5s do. The T12s are nearly worthless. I have a 2.5'x4' space and run 8 T5HO bulbs in it which gives me 40k lumens :) I would say to get them all in place about 2" apart if they are singles and keep the plants within a few inches of them for best results :)

Thanks for the info! The seven floros I have were given to me. I will have to go see what they are. They do seem to be blue and they were purchased at a grow store. I will have to check! Thanks!

You can switch back without adverse reaction except a slowing of growth due to less light.

Do you have fluoro tubes or CFLs? If you have tubes, you can tell what they are by the tube diameter--T5s are 5/8", T8s are 8/8" (or 1"), T12s are 12/8" (or 1-12"). If CFLs, check the watts and we can tell you the approx lumens. How big is your space?

The Hemp Goddess said:
You can switch back without adverse reaction except a slowing of growth due to less light.

Do you have fluoro tubes or CFLs? If you have tubes, you can tell what they are by the tube diameter--T5s are 5/8", T8s are 8/8" (or 1"), T12s are 12/8" (or 1-12"). If CFLs, check the watts and we can tell you the approx lumens. How big is your space?

OK. I have fluoro tubes and they're one inch diameter. My space...and keep in mind that some of us have to use what we have (I'm laughing here!) is a three by three foot card table. I have the lights attached underneath (seven of them) and I raise the table as the plants grow by putting two-by-fours under the legs. I have the whole operation wrapped in impermeable thick black visqueen. Are you rolling on the floor yet?:) The thing this system doesn't have is ventilation. I have a little fan but that's it. I only have two plants to put under there at this time. One of which is my little auto. The other won't be ready for flowering for a couple weeks. My other three plants start flower tomorrow. They are getting too big for the closet! LOL! I am leaving the fluoros on 24/7. Sound good?

I understand using what you have. I live near the poverty level and either find good buys or scrimp and save to make major purchases. You have T8 lights. They do not put out a lot of light. Try to keep the lights close. Your plants are going to want to stretch after being under a HPS and then going back to low light.

the TYPE of light isn't what is detrimental anywhoo (regarding shock and herman inducing)...it's the HOURS of light your giving them...dunno why no one brought that up already :rolleyes:

I believe that he was still in veg under the HPS--he didn't change the light hours.

"
"...Once you put the plants under a HPS lamp, can they be put back under fluorescents if they are still in veg...."

The Hemp Goddess said:
I believe that he was still in veg under the HPS--he didn't change the light hours.

"
"...Once you put the plants under a HPS lamp, can they be put back under fluorescents if they are still in veg...."

Correct, everything was still in veg. I just switched three of my plants to 12/12 today. The two under the fluros are still in veg. I figured the light was less so I am leaving them on 24/7 and an inch or so above the plants.

7greeneyes said:

LOL--7, I am just glad to know that I am not the only one who sometimes reads things wrong...

Crater, you should run your veg lights 24/7 regardless of whether you are well lit or underlit--it just gives you the best growth.

Latest posts

Back