Synthetic pot calls to poison centers continue to rise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From UPI.com

I don't understand how this toxic synthetic cannabis is legal and the non toxic real cannabis is not.

Synthetic pot calls to poison centers continue to rise

"Multiple other recent outbreaks suggest a need for greater public health surveillance and awareness," CDC officials wrote in a recent report.

By Brooks Hays | June 13, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Synthetic-pot-calls-to-poison-centers-continue-to-rise.jpg

clear.gif

Spice is synthetic marijuana that combines herbal and chemical ingredients to mimic pot's THC. DEA photo

WASHINGTON, June 13 (UPI) -- Poison centers in the United States have been seemingly flooded with calls about synthetic marijuana in 2015, reporting 3,572 calls so far this year, up 229 percent from the January to May period last year. According to a recent CDC report, the volume of calls related to the faux pot rose 330 percent from 349 in January 2015 to 1,501 in April 2015.

Even more worrisome, 15 synthetic-pot related deaths have been reported in 2015.

It's not necessarily a new problem, but the scourge of lab-engineered imitation pot continues to escalate -- despite efforts by law enforcement and regulators to curb sales.
Often dubbed "spice" and sold under brand names like Spice and K2, synthetic marijuana is typically comprised of dried herbs sprayed with a mixture of psychoactive chemicals meant to mimic the molecular makeup and effects of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) -- the main psychotropic ingredient in actual pot.

"Even though these products are often marketed as natural and safe, they are not," Royal Law, an epidemiologist with the CDC and author of the agency's new report, told HealthDay. "We have seen very severe health effects and even deaths."

Most fake pot-related calls to poison centers report vomiting, dizziness, shortness of breath, confusion, rapid heart beat and more.
While synthetic pot is technically illegal, makers and sellers continue to evade law enforcement by continually tweaking their ingredients and by mislabeling their product -- sometimes selling it as a incense. Official say the latest rise is proof stronger laws and enforcement are necessary.
"The increasing number of synthetic cannabinoid variants available, higher toxicity of new variants, and the potentially increased use as indicated by calls to poison centers might suggest that synthetic cannabinoids pose an emerging public health threat," Law and his colleagues wrote in the recent report, published in the agency's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. "Multiple other recent outbreaks suggest a need for greater public health surveillance and awareness, targeted public health messaging, and enhanced efforts to remove these products from the market."

This is what gets my goat. The Popo wants to bust MJ users,,a plant that has NEVER KILLED ANYONE,,,but do freaken nothing about this Synthetic Crap that has killed several already. Bunch of Asshats

they gotta ban this '****' I'll never forget my experiment ' ....lol

Never tried it,,hate fake ****.

It is illegal in my state....... why do they call it synthetic pot or marijuana? Its no more like marijuana than cigarettes......... I'd never smoke cigarettes or spice....... they should call it spice don't even imply it is anything like marijuana.

I don't think there would be much of a market for this if real cannabis were legal.

Here is more info on what synthetic cannabis is.

Synthetic cannabis

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[Commercially known as synthetic cannabis (synthetic marijuana), or technically synthetic cannabinoid receptor agonists, is any drug that mimics the effects of cannabis sprayed onto a herbal base material.[1] There are several psychoactive artificial cannabinoid families (e.g. AM-xxx, HU-xxx, JWH-xxx, CP xx) that are used as designer drugs sprayed on herbs and sold as natural highs under brand names like K2[2] and Spice,[3] both of which are genericized trademarks used for any synthetic cannabis product. Synthetic cannabis is often termed spice product.

When synthetic cannabis blends first went on sale in the early 2000s, it was thought that they achieved an effect through a mixture of natural herbs. Laboratory analysis in 2008 showed that this was not the case, and that they in fact contain synthetic cannabinoids that act on the body in a similar way to cannabinoids naturally found in cannabis, such as THC. A large and complex variety of synthetic cannabinoids, most often cannabicyclohexanol, JWH-018, JWH-073, or HU-210, are used in an attempt to avoid the laws that make cannabis illegal, making synthetic cannabis a designer drug. It has been sold under various brand names, online, in head shops, and other stores.

It is often marketed as "herbal incense"; however, some brands market their products as "herbal smoking blends". In either case, the products are usually smoked by users. Although synthetic cannabis does not produce positive results in drug tests for cannabis, it is possible to detect its metabolites in human urine. The synthetic cannabinoids contained in synthetic cannabis products have been made illegal in many European countries.

Some examples

View attachment synthetic weed.jpg

View attachment spice.jpg

View attachment scooby snacks.jpg

View attachment K2.jpg

I tried it when it was legal here. I bought it at "Pleasures".

It got me high as hell, but made me throw up a couple times, so I quit using it.

I'll just stick to what I grow on my own.

synthetic pot, named years ago to continually diss the weed smokers of the world by the far right, media tycoons, comes back right in the face of Joe Public, who God Bless his soul is totally ignorant of either cannabis or this chemical rubbish, indeed many of these concoctions are as simple as Cow de-wormer even dvd cleaning fluid.

Perhaps have this out there has made normal weed more acceptable..?

Latest posts

Back