T5 Grow Lights vs T8 Shop Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I veg. Under 12, 4 ft. T-5s in. 4x4 tent, the heat and electricity is little and the results are great.

A 4 x 4 tent would be much better for an HID as most of the HID hoods put off a [relatively] square pattern of coverage. I got a 3 x 5 because it maximized my space and because I usually have a small portion of the space dedicated to fans and whatever. In this tent, I don't do that so I would love to have a full 3x5 coverage.

You need the 8 bulb fixture with a 15 sq ft space. Although that puts you under 3000 lumens per sq ft, I found the fact that the T5s spread the light better and that the lights can be kept so close to the canopy makes it okay (at least in my closet). I have a 4 tube fixture in my 2 x 4 space and consider adding a 2 bulb fixture, but am quite happy with my results from the 4 bulbs, so see no reason to increase the electricity consumption and the heat.

If you replace your bulbs after the recommended hours they stay ultra bright, and like Hemp Goddess said, you can get t-5 bulbs real close with no burn.
I have used a 600 on veg and found only that the temps. Were higher, the humidity was higher, the coverage wasn't as good and they needed water more often and no real difference in size to speak of.

This would also change my exhaust setup since I am currently using an air cooled hood with the HID.

So, now, the fan will simply hook up to the filter and exhaust out the tent. Nice and simple.

I'll stop by the store today and see what they have. I think they carry Hydrofarm brand.

Anything special I should look for? Do these units have their own little cooling fan like the LED fixtures?

I like the idea of 2 switches. Not sure why but I like options. LOL

I'll see what they have and come back with questions.

Thanks all

My 4 ft 8 bulb has 2 switches so u can run only 4 bulbs if u want to.
I also have a 4 ft 4 bulb right next to it for a total of 12.

All of the 6 and 8 bulb fixtures I have seen have switches so that you can run just some of the bulbs. Mine do not have cooling fans....but I really don't think that they run hot enough to justify that.

You dont need an exhaust fan with t5's for heat issues, but naturally u want to get rid of the used nasty air that hangs at the top of the tent, thus a small 4" inline fan with a duct at the top or on Top of the tent.
Fresh INcoming air should come from the lowest point in the tent, I use the side Velcro vents with the flaps removed.
Heat rises and u won't need much cfm's with t5's, just fresh circulating air.

Duh! Not sure why I didn't think of this before but I am just looking to get better coverage than the footprint put out by my HID and hood.

LED is probably a better answer than any of the flavors of florescent.

Most of the LED's I have seen are long and narrow (or are square and can be daisy chained).

Now, how does LED compare to T5?

My guess is that the LED kicks it's butt.

Now, what I need to find is an LED that is about 24" x 48" like the T5 rigs. I think a 24 x 48 light would footprint nicely in a 36" x 60" tent.

Duh! Not sure why I didn't think of this before but I am just looking to get better coverage than the footprint put out by my HID and hood.

LED is probably a better answer than any of the flavors of florescent.

Most of the LED's I have seen are long and narrow (or are square and can be daisy chained).

Now, how does LED compare to T5?

My guess is that the LED kicks it's butt.

Now, what I need to find is an LED that is about 24" x 48" like the T5 rigs. I think a 24 x 48 light would footprint nicely in a 36" x 60" tent.

Ask Rosebud and Hamster. I believe that both of them were using T5s to veg and are now using LED.

Thanks HG. I have been reading their posts from when they made the change and both mention that there really isn't that much difference when vegging. One (I think Rose) said they eat less under LED but that's about the only difference they mentioned.

For a cost difference of $150 (T5) to $300 or $400 (LED) it hardly seems right.

I talked to the guy at the store today and I will return the EZ Cloner, some fans, a CO2 regulator and some other used stuff I have and I can probably walk out with the T5 for a few dollars difference.

OK, I believe I have decided on the Hydrofarm Envirogrow 4 foot, 6 bulb.

It's the biggest one that will fit in my closet and I love the way it is set up.

It has 2 switches. One operates the 2 bulbs in the center. The other switch operates the 4 on the outside. At first, I thought this was weird as I expected 3 and 3 with each switch. However, after thinking about it, I love this. I can run the 2 center bulbs and have 10,000 lumens or I can run the 4 outside bulbs and have 20,000 or run all 6 and have 30,000. Very nice, I think.

Now, I need to think about a few more things.

The area is 2x4 so I have 8 SF. Nothing in this closet will ever be in a pot bigger than 4 inches. I only have a few feet in height so nothing will be over 12" to 18".

I use this closet to clone and seed. And I transplant from clone container to 4" pot and they sit in here for a couple weeks while the veg tent is cleaned and made available.

So, is this an overkill? I don't think so.

For cloning, I have always used the same lighting setup with great results. Simply 2 shop lights with standard shop bulbs. I think those are about 2000 lumens each so about 8000 lumens to light up a 2x4 area of clones (or seedlings). Seems like kind of a lot and it's probably a little less because the bulbs are old.

Now, the lowest I can go with the T5 will be 2 bulbs and about 10k lumens. That's not a terrible jump from 8k (4 T12's) but it's pretty hot from the actual 5000 or 6000 from they are probably getting from these old bulbs so I might have to raise it up all the way to the ceiling. That would be almost 3 feet from the plants. That might be OK.

On the high end, I can run 30k lumens to light 8 SF which is 3750 lumens per SF which in not sweet but it's a nice jump from 10,000 before going under the 600w MH and then 1000w HPS.

I may need to raise it all the way up for cloning, otherwise I think this is going to work out OK.

If it works for ya, great! For me and my grows, that much light for seedlings and clones is way overkill. The strains I clone don't need much light until they set roots, and the seedlings are so small they're easily covered my less lights. I do run the lights pretty close to the seedlings, though.
That bulb setup sounds like it would be great for vegging in the early stages, though. YMMV.

OMG!!!! I so much love this T5. I hope the little babies like it. I started with just 2 bulbs. If they take it well, I'll switch to 4 bulbs in a day or 2 and then to all 6 bulbs when it's right.

I am totally going to ditch the 400w HID in my 3x5 tent for another one of these. I can fit the 8 bulb in my tent even though the 6 bulb actually provides more light (and 10 times better coverage) in the 3x5 space than the current 400w HID. I'll still go with the 8 bulb. That's about 40k in 15 SF = 2700 per. That's not too bad. I can't fit a 12 bulb in there and they don't make a 10 so the 8 will have to do.

OMG!!!! I so much love this T5. I hope the little babies like it. I started with just 2 bulbs. If they take it well, I'll switch to 4 bulbs in a day or 2 and then to all 6 bulbs when it's right.

I am totally going to ditch the 400w HID in my 3x5 tent for another one of these. I can fit the 8 bulb in my tent even though the 6 bulb actually provides more light (and 10 times better coverage) in the 3x5 space than the current 400w HID. I'll still go with the 8 bulb. That's about 40k in 15 SF = 2700 per. That's not too bad. I can't fit a 12 bulb in there and they don't make a 10 so the 8 will have to do.

:giggle: We thought you might.....

This thing, even with only 2 bulbs cooking, is creating more heat than I can deal with in this little closet.

I'll toss an exhaust fan in the cocktail, tomorrow and everything should be fine.

Latest posts

Back