tap water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangesunshine

Drama Free
Reaction score
i'm looking for some opinions on chlorinated tap water and its relation to the myco colony---of course the info i just read was from a vendor hawking an RO filter saying tap water kills the myco colony---my guess is if the levels are low enough to be safe for us to drink---they should also be low enough to not harm the colony---frankly i have always believed that the other stuff copper, iron and whatever else is in the water is beneficial if you are not running a hydro grow and using a bottled nute program---the pro's of no RO outweigh the cons when u are not running hydro---of course bubbling with an air stone will help evaporate the chlorine over time and is generally good practice anyhow---just curious to hear what all you have to say

I use well water so chlorine is not an issue for me but what I have read is, if you are using water that is treated with chlorine, and its enough that you can smell it when it comes fresh out of the tap, then you need to allow it to set and use an air stone to bubble it for 24hrs before using it. However, I have also heard that many towns and cities are going to using chloramine which is a heavier compound that will not evaporate from the water. If there is chloramine in the water, then only RO will remove it.

I personally would check with the water treatment plant to see what they use and if they soften the water with anything, and at what concentrations they are doing it.

I have heard and read as well that small amounts of chlorine and chloramine will not wipe out the microbe herd but will only kill some. If that is the issue for your situation then rather than buying an expensive RO filter, I would periodically make up a microbe tea to add to the plants to replenish the herd, which is probably not a bad idea anyway as microbes don't have long life-spans.

thanks for the input hush---very sound advice---that is what i have done since disconnecting the RO way back when---never had issues in the past with the tap water/soil medium and am thinking i might be hooking up the RO again and hydro---what do you think---is my crop going to be that much better if i use RO in hydro instead of the tap water---i do know i have very hard water in calcium

Floride is what I understand to be the evil culprit to the benes.

R/O makes it easier to pH and you will know what is in your feed

Floride is what I understand to be the evil culprit to the benes.

R/O makes it easier to pH and you will know what is in your feed

good to see you duck---thanks---that makes sense---does a bubbler bubble out floride too?

reason for my inquiry is im thinking about going organic hydro---wanted to use the tap---but figure the RO is the best fit due to many other forces dictating the set up---need to work out rezzy issues for a recirculating drip system using RO i guess

Bubbling will not remove fluoride as far as I know.

Put a float valve on your R/O line.

If you want to do an organic hydro and want a good organic line that works well in hydro, Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice and Mother Earth Super Tea are both very good products and both come in 2part for grow and bloom. They won't clog the pumps. This is just my opinion but I would also use Hygrozyme along with them as it is amazing stuff. :)

If you want to do an organic hydro and want a good organic line that works well in hydro, Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice and Mother Earth Super Tea are both very good products and both come in 2part for grow and bloom. They won't clog the pumps. This is just my opinion but I would also use Hygrozyme along with them as it is amazing stuff. :)

i love hygrozyme---been using it with my soil/teas for quite a while already---i also already decided when the day comes on a nute line called Heavy 16---still toying with the idea while i be waiting on some new LED's of this new hydro set up

if your running an organic grow then chlorine will affect your eco system within medium.. as said let it sit

if your not using organic fertilizer I wouldn't be over concerned with the chlorine

for example if you are growing in rockwool or grow rocks then the added chlorine might even be a benefit

chlorine in small amounts can work the same way h202 works to sterilize a rez

hygrozyme is a great product... but super expensive imho

does anyone happen to know if the enzyme powder at kelp4less.com works as well as the hygrozyme?... I suppose that's off topic

if your source water has a low starting ppm (under 300ppm) you probably don't need an RO

Tap water is designed to kill microbes...but once the active ingredients that are added evap out...I dont see any dif that could occur as far as the benificial colony is concerned.

I use bennies in my soiless hydro and have used tap and r/o w no dif. But my tap now is literally spring water so it wouldnt matter now anyway.
jme

Latest posts

Back