Taproot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trojan46312

Reaction score
I uses the paper towel method to germinate. A couple of the seeds cracked but the taproot is barely out the seed. Should I go ahead and put it in the medium or wait until the taproot is a little longer?

One other thing, I used a blue paper towel and the area around the seeds are turning white. Did I do something stupid or will they be ok?

Thanks in advance.

Well some peeps soak them till the taproot is quite big and others like me soak in a cup of water just until they start to crack and then put them into their medium. Either way works but I choose to plant them when cracked because I never liked handling them with an exposed taproot. Jmo

OR sow them 1/4 inch under the surface of a soil-filled (well moistened) pot, put under 24/7 flouro light and have'm pop up in ~5 daze. No fuss, no muss.

7GE :)

Trojan46312 said:
I uses the paper towel method to germinate. A couple of the seeds cracked but the taproot is barely out the seed. Should I go ahead and put it in the medium or wait until the taproot is a little longer?

One other thing, I used a blue paper towel and the area around the seeds are turning white. Did I do something stupid or will they be ok?

Thanks in advance.
It sounds like the white areas around the seeds in the paper towels is where the seeds are soaking up the available moisture and taking some of the dye with the water from the towel. That dye isn't supposed to be toxic so I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment. Yu can go ahead and set them if they've popped good, so that yu don't have to handle them when the tap root gets longer. I let mine shed the shell so that I know if there are any that could be weak, but it takes extreeme care to set them at that point. If yer not real experienced or comfortable at handling them, yu should be fine to set them now.:)

Thanks everybody. I went ahead and put em in their medium. I'm praying now.

Latest posts

Back