TDubs tiny tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TLDR: Quick Review of Photone lighting app on iTunes Store

I’ve been dedicating a lot of time to studying lighting requirements lately since I think I’m overwhelming my plants…and they’re short as a result. I don’t want to spend $500 on an Apogee par meter, and my lux meter isn’t quite enough for doing DLI calculations. So I’m trying to find the best way to use the free Photone app on the Apple Store. The biggest challenge has been finding an Apple device that works well with the app. I was getting wildly inaccurate lux readings with the Apple iPhone 6 and iPhone XR. However, my old mini iPad seems to be almost “dead on” with my lux meter, so I’m going to dedicate this mini iPad to the grow cause.

I ended up signing up for the Pro version for a month to try it out. It includes a guide for ideal cannabis lighting at each week of growth and a lot of other useful information. It also unlocks different types of lamps. I don’t plan to keep the subscription, but I plan to study everything they have to offer in their guides. It’s a cheap education in lighting. After using it for a few hours, i can say that the one month subscription is worthwhile.

What have I learned so far? Well, I was running my lights way too intense and providing too much light for this stage of growth. As long as I dim my light to the target DLI by week, I should be able to maximize my lights without wasting electricity.

6CF9E818-8D79-4239-89C9-C4794C1E6082.png

A quick look at the reports from the Photone app. This is pretty slick.

My Daily Light Interval (DLI) is just a calculation of time and intensity of lighting. 30-40 is ideal now. I was running over 50 with my lux meter and I targeted 35 exactly by using my dimmers.
Par value should be between 500-1050….I’m at 791. I will increase each week.
Lux setting shows at 44,000. As a point of reference, I was running 72,000 lux and higher before the Photone app guidance.

I’ll probably save enough in electricity to pay for my app purchase

0E9E63A1-6F85-4F7A-803B-2B3AD8CD5E0E.png9A0B94BE-862A-4B02-AEF1-262033AFB165.png1FAD6480-5C00-4029-869C-A297415D7546.pngB4540FEE-03F2-474C-8495-8FE33CF689A8.png

I’ll tackle the other tent tomorrow and dial her in. I believe I have the lighting a little too intense in that tent too.

and they’re short as a result.
I strive to keep my plants on the shorter side during veg to allow for stretch during flower. When I started growing in a tent, I only had 4 ft of height so for me it was imperative to shoot for short and squat. I have always vegged using 24/7 lighting and flipped to flower planning on the plants doubling in height. Sometimes they have grown more and I had to deploy more aggressive training to keep the tops in check. I think I read you are not using 24/7 veg lighting so your situation is different. I really enjoy threads like yours. I will never be too old or set in my ways to pick up better methods. Thanks for putting in the hard work.

I have some sh!tty light meter app. The numbers vary wildly using it based on height, grid location and angle of incidence. The app also recommends a diffuser over the camera lens. I think they say to use scotch tape. It is a free app and I got what I paid for: garbage.

I strive to keep my plants on the shorter side during veg to allow for stretch during flower. When I started growing in a tent, I only had 4 ft of height so for me it was imperative to shoot for short and squat. I have always vegged using 24/7 lighting and flipped to flower planning on the plants doubling in height. Sometimes they have grown more and I had to deploy more aggressive training to keep the tops in check. I think I read you are not using 24/7 veg lighting so your situation is different. I really enjoy threads like yours. I will never be too old or set in my ways to pick up better methods. Thanks for putting in the hard work.

I have some sh!tty light meter app. The numbers vary wildly using it based on height, grid location and angle of incidence. The app also recommends a diffuser over the camera lens. I think they say to use scotch tape. It is a free app and I got what I paid for: garbage.

Thanks OldFogey….you answered a lot of questions in one post. This app uses a diffuser (22 pound paper taped over camera) too. I’m going to research 24/7 lighting again….I will try it next time if it promises more growth.

I keep seeing tall plants and assuming that I’m doing something wrong to discourage stretch. It sounds like there’s nothing wrong with growing them low. I’m using a SCROG net in the 4’ tall tent. Still plenty of upward space for growth in the 6’ tall tent. They’re under 11 inches tall, but spread out with LST.

F5777937-6079-47AC-82A4-D6638CE5BB54.jpeg

That's a cool light.

Thanks WeedHopper…..these are really old COB technology compared to today, and the manufacturer (Timber) has now closed shop and re-opened as Highgrove Lighting. I used three of these to replace my 1000 HID and they worked great at the time. Turns out they fit the 2x4 perfectly……I’m pleased.

I wish Boo hadn’t chimed in on another thread and said the name “Photontek”. 😆. I made the mistake of looking at them, and it is like the Rolls Royce of grow lights, Now I’m craving grow lights that are just way out of my budget. But when my lottery ticket comes in, I’ll be placing an order.

Have you checked out the migro YouTube channel? He reviews the apps you're talking about and tells you how to use them

Thank you Lesso. As much as I use YouTube, I have not see this! Thank you. I will watch it today.

Happy New Year! Celebrated until 5:30 am, so I never made it into the garden yesterday except to top off the reservoirs, Whew….I’m too old for that.

Not much growth (.5 inches) in the first 5 days of 12/12 lighting. They appear to be more interested in growing leaves than they are in stretching. Also seeing some yellowing in lower leaves….rather early for a nitrogen deficiency and I’m surprised given that I am maximizing the Lucas formula at 8ml/g of Micro and 16ml/g of Bloom.
88800293-AC43-4174-93EB-8F3FFD926E8D.jpeg1072F07B-28B5-4D1C-975B-B87F624D0D17.jpeg1F959979-6BF6-42F3-9547-9EBB7844FFCF.jpeg7075D9AE-7DC1-4566-B460-D39E87A4A00F.jpeg4441EB03-63A0-4E25-AA26-67D900BB5F9D.jpeg

Nitrogen deficiency…..embarrassed to admit this, but I don’t know how to fix and I never had this happen with Flora series when following the GH schedule with three nutrients. I’m not changing anything at this point….but I will continue to watch and feed. I have read that this can be a common occurrence when flowering starts, but these plants are getting plenty of nitrogen from the Micro.

6C9638C6-13C1-4479-A981-9A76918D76D1.jpeg
0E72F35A-BDB7-40F6-9809-EEB7B395442F.jpeg

Increased Daily Light Integral (DLI) from 36 to 38….and the resulting measurements.
0C35ADCE-18F0-4592-8FC1-282FBAECE707.jpegC74637FF-889A-44FB-8C92-1BD5184CAB1B.pngF8537E60-589B-4503-A5FC-45F9436B1F8A.png

add some cal mag Amigo

you have a nitrogen eating beast there

or you can bump up the Micro to 10ml and drop the Bloom 14 ml and see how she likes it

Thanks @bigsur51. I’ll add more CalMag and a little Micro to the 1-gallon reservoir. I assume that’s better than a foliar treatment? I appreciate the guidance.

Thanks @bigsur51. I’ll add more CalMag and a little Micro to the 1-gallon reservoir. I assume that’s better than a foliar treatment? I appreciate the guidance.

not a big fan of the foliar treatment although others swear by it

a little yellowing of some lower fan leaves is really not a big deal and is somewhat normal in my experience

Could it be the early stages of potassium deficiency?

https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-plant-problems/potassium-deficiency
And ‘plants that are in early to mid-flower… require lots of potassium’…
View attachment 316495
Also bigs suggestion about cal mag since this article says potassium has ‘an antagonistic relationship with calcium and magnesium’

Thanks OldFogey. So if I read that correctly, I could add some of this supplement without overwhelming the plant? It’s a 0-10-10 formulation for bulking. What would you do if it were your plant? Note that I’ve already added 1.5ml of micro and 3.5 mil of CalMag to my one gallon reservoir, so I don’t want to “overcorrect” either. The recommended dose is 1.5ml/g….I’m tempted to add 1ml/g for starters.

538CEEE7-56B7-4EC2-A12B-CF081778EA79.jpeg

LOL. I like how you phrased that. What would I do? I think I would give it a light dose like you were thinking. I hesitate to meddle when master growers like big chime in as I think he grows more plants in a year than I have in my entire life but I do like to meddle with my grows. A bulking nutrient early in flower sounds like something I would try though. And as big said, some yellowing is not a big deal. Nitrogen is a mobile nutrient so the plant transports it from where it isn’t as beneficial to where it is needed. Early in flower, the plant is seeing less light than in veg so it wants to get as much ‘bang for its buck’ to photosynthesize sugars when the lights are on which is why lower fan leaves yellow(pretty sure).

LOL. I like how you phrased that. What would I do? I think I would give it a light dose like you were thinking. I hesitate to meddle when master growers like big chime in as I think he grows more plants in a year than I have in my entire life but I do like to meddle with my grows. A bulking nutrient early in flower sounds like something I would try though. And as big said, some yellowing is not a big deal. Nitrogen is a mobile nutrient so the plant transports it from where it isn’t as beneficial to where it is needed. Early in flower, the plant is seeing less light than in veg so it wants to get as much ‘bang for its buck’ to photosynthesize sugars when the lights are on which is why lower fan leaves yellow(pretty sure).

Thanks OldFogey. I appreciate input from everyone who grows….you and BigSur haven’t led me wrong yet. I didn’t know who was more experienced, but you both have this down to a science. I’ll get better now that I can grow year-round in the smaller tent.

Sorry to put you on the spot….I did add 1 ml of bulking formula before closing up the tent….let’s go for it.

Thanks again to you and BigSur for getting me back on track.

Love the Passion and it's members. This is what it's all about. Members helping members.

I agree WeedHopper! I love this site….I see a lot of outstanding people who go out of their way to help and encourage new growers. As I learn more, hopefully I can pay it back to new members. I wish I had more to contribute….I will with more time and as I meet more people.

me thinks oldfogey and boo have about 200 years of growing experience between them

throw in brother roster , the hippie , putembk , ….now we are talking the cream de la cream

i cannot say enough good things about the growing knowledge that Brother Graywolf has and has shared with growers worldwide

i know i have left out many others on this Board who have mad growing skilz and share their knowledge and wisdom with us rookies

Respect.

lifetime apprentice here 🤡🤡🤡

ha!…saw this old photo about 20-25 ? years ago , gorilla grow in oklahoma

31A3706A-7326-44A6-A757-96855B828D6F.jpeg

2FF86F54-71F0-415F-8839-F433457B10A6.jpeg

Gotta throw GMO in with that group. One thing I have noticed that really separates this forum from others is the old pros help with the novice growers.

Most forums the experienced growers won't chime in.... so only rookies advise rookies. Blind leading the blind. Lots of bad advice in a situation like that. Not so here.

I take my hat off to you O'l farts.

me thinks oldfogey and boo have about 200 years of growing experience between them

throw in brother roster , the hippie , putembk , ….now we are talking the cream de la cream

i cannot say enough good things about the growing knowledge that Brother Graywolf has and has shared with growers worldwide

i know i have left out many others on this Board who have mad growing skilz and share their knowledge and wisdom with us rookies

Respect.

lifetime apprentice here 🤡🤡🤡

ha!…saw this old photo about 20-25 ? years ago , gorilla grow in oklahoma

View attachment 316509

View attachment 316511
You give me more credit than I deserve. There are a lot of rock stars on here. I am not one of them. I can play Chopsticks while you guys play masterpieces like Starship Trooper and Stairway to Heaven…

Latest posts

Back