TDubs tiny tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a pleasant surprise this weekend…..I won a $30 gift certificate towards a ViparSpectra purchase. So I purchased their 2x2 tent for drying and possibly vegging. I need to move the dusty exercise equipment out if the grow room to make room for the important stuff!

Now I’m struggling with how to maintain that ideal 60 degree temperature and 60% humidity for drying. I think I can maintain a 65-68 degree temperature. I have an ultrasonic humidifier and RO water that I can add to the tent. Now I’m ordering smart fans and filters today. I’d like to get this set up next week in preparation for harvest since I have always struggled with drying too fast. Historically, I used paper bags to try to slow the process down which is an improvement….a decent process but still too fast.

I assume I want to maintain a regular exchange of air, so possible cycle the fan hourly or have it run at a very low speed unless humidity climbs too high. I need to do a lot more research on drying rooms.

Amendment 3 for recreational marijuana today in Missouri! Exciting day….

4AB24271-7CCF-4381-891B-0C1660F3E076.png

Ok….I see how this gardening addiction goes now. With only a 1-2 more supplies, I can turn my 2x2 drying tent into a new veg tent and use my 2x4 for flower. I’m getting bored with two plants, so maybe this will allow me additional time in the garden by keeping a veg tent and a flower tent. Plus a little variety never killed anyone. My tent and supplies show up by the weekend, so it’s time to sow some seeds.

So today I started soaking 3 seeds in RO water with CalMag, seaweed extract and ph’d to 6.5. I’ll soak for 15-20 hours and then put in soil. I started watering the soil with seaweed extract water to help the soil settle too. Since it’s old soil, it doesn’t want to absorb water without a fight. I had this issue last time….just required a few days of watering to get it moist.

Three strains planned….hoping at least two end up sprouting. I’ve seen pictures of people growing three plants (without a SCROG) in a 2x4. I think it will be tight in 5 gallon pots, and I’m concerned about the different potential heights of these three plants. The Purple Ghost Candy has more Sativa in her than anything I’ve grown. (60%)

I have a small germination station set up with a heat mat underneath to speed things along. Planting day tomorrow.

Seedsman Purple Ghost Candy
https://www.seedsman.com/us_en/purple-ghost-candy-feminised-seeds
Seedsman LA Peyote Kush
https://www.seedsman.com/us_en/l-a-peyote-kush-feminised-seeds
And DNA Crew Godfather OG.
https://www.pacificseedbank.com/sho...seeds/godfather-og-feminized-marijuana-seeds/

FBE7854F-D675-4507-B412-EF3F6D72C3A4.jpegB4FD6A71-8DCF-48E6-A926-822F4F039665.jpeg

Ok….I see how this gardening addiction goes now. With only a 1-2 more supplies, I can turn my 2x2 drying tent into a new veg tent and use my 2x4 for flower. I’m getting bored with two plants, so maybe this will allow me additional time in the garden by keeping a veg tent and a flower tent. Plus a little variety never killed anyone. My tent and supplies show up by the weekend, so it’s time to sow some seeds.

So today I started soaking 3 seeds in RO water with CalMag, seaweed extract and ph’d to 6.5. I’ll soak for 15-20 hours and then put in soil. I started watering the soil with seaweed extract water to help the soil settle too. Since it’s old soil, it doesn’t want to absorb water without a fight. I had this issue last time….just required a few days of watering to get it moist.

Three strains planned….hoping at least two end up sprouting. I’ve seen pictures of people growing three plants (without a SCROG) in a 2x4. I think it will be tight in 5 gallon pots, and I’m concerned about the different potential heights of these three plants. The Purple Ghost Candy has more Sativa in her than anything I’ve grown. (60%)

I have a small germination station set up with a heat mat underneath to speed things along. Planting day tomorrow.

Seedsman Purple Ghost Candy
https://www.seedsman.com/us_en/purple-ghost-candy-feminised-seeds
Seedsman LA Peyote Kush
https://www.seedsman.com/us_en/l-a-peyote-kush-feminised-seeds
And DNA Crew Godfather OG.
https://www.pacificseedbank.com/sho...seeds/godfather-og-feminized-marijuana-seeds/

View attachment 312918View attachment 312919

You have some good strains. The Purple Ghost Candy sounds interesting. I am looking forward to see how it grows.

You have some good strains. The Purple Ghost Candy sounds interesting. I am looking forward to see how it grows.

Yes, I read that one and decided that I had to try it out. Possibly a lot of marketing here, but I’ll try it out.

Moved my seeds to their new home in some Happy Frog soil in solo cups. Drains in the bottom of the cups. It really helped watering down the soil a day in advance. I think that recommendation came from Carty, but it made it easy to water in the seeds without the soil collapsing. One seed had the beginning of a tap root after 15 hours.

1D93F4CA-60AC-4189-B0A3-553B311F8A10.jpeg

Now we wait…..

Guessing 1 more week for Blue Dream #2
D4A0034A-1728-402A-9E70-B3BADCF4AF29.jpegEC6CF42F-E502-48A3-B89E-7EBDAE1DCAF2.jpeg

Blue Dream #1 moving more slowly….pistils still white but trichomes 50/50 clear/cloudy
DAA84967-CF2A-4EDF-8C5B-AB30CAD6028E.jpeg0091B418-7836-427E-9A5E-759DD30B6492.jpeg

New small veg tent is being set up today. I’ll move the seedlings into the veg tent after they sprout. No activity with the seeds yet, but it’s only Day #3. I’ve set up the AC Infinity controller 69, in-line fan and humidifier. All I need now is for the LED and oscillating fan to arrive today. Luckily, I was able to connect both tents to my wireless network today after three days of trying. This is a really short tent (48”) and the LED is slightly under powered, so this will be a veg tent only. I hope to have 3 veg plants and 3 flower plants running now.

E090BCF1-0728-4799-B62A-85B8A2C29DC7.jpeg

Sampled some of the Blue Dream last night after running a few lower buds thru the dehydrator. Very pleased with the effect, but going to wait two more weeks as long as I don’t see a lot of amber show up. I’d like to harvest both Blue Dreams on the same day since I’m using the tent for drying.

The buds I pulled were from the lower part of the canopy and they were very loose and larfy. I’m hoping the top colas are denser, especially after curing. I’m guessing it’s due to poor lighting down low….but I’m disappointed in the density.

31521562-55EF-49CC-A75F-48680EE5DE76.jpegD90D5C4D-7F16-4258-AE6E-32D5259C947A.jpeg

Blue Dream is two weeks out….trichomes looking almost ready on one plant. Going two more weeks so that I can harvest both plants at the same time. My LED is currently 13 inches away from the canopy. Should I be raising the LED to reduce light intensity during the last two weeks? I can’t seem to find this answer, but I want to protect terpenes.

3EA3AC13-D84D-4699-BAEA-1C2C53A1CC77.jpeg90CE821C-073A-4F74-88BB-0B2C59F5CA6D.jpegEEAD92F5-7D9E-4B0C-8A33-62C0B44BFB06.jpeg

Exciting news….I’m a new daddy. Three new girls just popped the soil after four days. Seed shells are hanging on two seedlings, so I’m using a sprayer to try to know them off. I’m misting with RO water ( plus CalMag and seaweed extract).

567339E2-EAA5-444F-8B40-074580F35772.jpeg95BA5A5A-1A00-42DD-B2E2-8845BB80E85E.jpeg9E951E13-3C7E-4EF1-A0C5-D87BA5D63E08.jpeg

I’ve been running a small 24 watt Agromax Pure UV T5 bulb at the very top of my tent. It requires 2-3 feet of clearance above the canopy which is challenging in my relatively short tent. Photo shows the location of the lamp.

F44456AB-51C3-4C77-B335-7F18B505248E.jpeg

Please ignore the wire management….I had to tear the entire tent apart mid-grow to replace a defective power strip, plus I’ve added a lot of new equipment (fans, seedling mat for heat, side LED lighting and the uv lamp) to this new tent. I plan to strip the tent down for drying, then I will rewire after I’m done using the tent for drying.

The updated tent will have the addition of high cfm bars to keep the sides of the tent from sucking in too much due to negative pressure. I had those on my gorilla tent and they worked well. I also have 4 16-inch sidelight LEDs, a humidifier and another controller on the way that will allow me to automate most of the grow tent.

I am running UV for 4 10-minute sessions per day, with plans to run more aggressively during the last week of life.

I have some colas directly under the UV bulb and other colas thar are likely shielded from the UV light to some degree. UV doesn’t reflect off Mylar tent walls, so not all plants are getting equal exposure. I believe I am seeing higher trichome density on the colas directly below the uv lamp, but it’s still a subtle difference. More UV lighting and longer durations next week…..I plan to try four 12-minute sessions.

Here is the bud with less UV light
AB988AAC-1872-46AF-ADD8-56B00D3997ED.jpeg

Here is the cola with more UV light
22DFCC35-6C37-4BE2-8477-8B335E2057D7.jpeg

plants under uv 6-7 will grow differently from plants grown at uv 8-9

doesnt change the potency , changes the amount of trichomes produced

at higher uv’s , cannabis produces more trichomes to protect itself from the high uv rays

plant will yield more essential oil is all

plants under uv 6-7 will grow differently from plants grown at uv 8-9

doesnt change the potency , changes the amount of trichomes produced

at higher uv’s , cannabis produces more trichomes to protect itself from the high uv rays

plant will yield more essential oil is all

Hi Big,
Hope you’ve recuperated from harvest! Your trees dwarfed my little tent. Of course, you get plenty of UV with outdoor grows.

What do you mean by “uv 6-7” vs “uv 8-9”? I’m still learning.

Everything Im reading implies that more trichomes equals higher potency? Are you saying that you think UV is wasted effort? I’ve tried it before and all I ended up with was a hermied plant….

Well, it’s time to check trichomes again. I’m close….but not sure how close. This Blue Dream is a 7-9 week flowering strain and I’m in week 8. I’m hosting a big family Thanksgiving next week, and I need a weed-free smell. So can I wait to harvest, or do I need to find an odor-free drying option now?

Thanks for any and all input. I don’t have a good feel for the last few weeks, and it’s difficult to be objective.

2631C3C5-5504-408F-A08E-CF1BB471D4F2.jpeg
F2AB56F8-FEA5-4B06-BEFB-703ACAFE192D.jpeg
BF1511BF-01A8-41AA-B73D-4641949379D7.jpeg
1DB569B1-EBB1-4C51-86C4-0C7A211558DE.jpeg

If you are going to harvest the whole tent at the same time, you can chop and hang the plants in your tent with the lights off(obviously). Your carbon filter should minimize smell. It is hard to say for sure if you can wait until ‘Black Friday’ to harvest. It is close though. I have harvested earlier than what your plants are at now but I like a mellower buzz. Nice pics by the way.

If you are going to harvest the whole tent at the same time, you can chop and hang the plants in your tent with the lights off(obviously). Your carbon filter should minimize smell. It is hard to say for sure if you can wait until ‘Black Friday’ to harvest. It is close though. I have harvested earlier than what your plants are at now but I like a mellower buzz. Nice pics by the way.

Thank you Old Fogey. Unfortunately, only one of the two plants is ready to harvest. Here’s the other one.

I will harvest the first plant tomorrow am at sunrise. I’ve never worried about light exposure before, but it sounds like harvesting in the dark is a worthwhile endeavor for quality.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• 740D9098-5884-42C2-B1AB-5C96051DA96D.jpeg
    740D9098-5884-42C2-B1AB-5C96051DA96D.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 07BB34CA-AD05-4EFE-AFE0-A53B48753D8C.jpeg
    07BB34CA-AD05-4EFE-AFE0-A53B48753D8C.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 07D40615-D34E-4A14-9885-A0B7B37D11CB.jpeg
    07D40615-D34E-4A14-9885-A0B7B37D11CB.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1365EF8D-2497-4CBE-88BA-AD385F0DD33D.jpeg
    1365EF8D-2497-4CBE-88BA-AD385F0DD33D.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 0
Thank you Old Fogey. Unfortunately, only one of the two plants is ready to harvest. Here’s the other one.

I will harvest the first plant tomorrow am at sunrise. I’ve never worried about light exposure before, but it sounds like harvesting in the dark is a worthwhile endeavor for quality.

Thanks again for your help.
You could give this a try. I posted this on another thread recently. Get a big cardboard box and put holes large enough for dryer vent hose in opposite sides of the box. One hose is open to the grow room and the other hose goes to the tent at one of the fresh air input openings. Put some dowels high enough up in the box to hang your branches off of and you have a makeshift drying enclosure that should filter out the smell since it will be drawn thru your carbon filter. Oh, and seal up the box and have the hoses bend at 90 degrees somewhere to minimize light getting into the box. Oh and another thing that I didn’t do but will next time I need to do this, put some sort of baffle a short distance away from the box input to prevent the airflow from being straight thru the box and flowing over the hanging buds. I am a cheap old fart as you can probably tell and I jury rig a lot of stuff… 😁

You could give this a try. I posted this on another thread recently. Get a big cardboard box and put holes large enough for dryer vent hose in opposite sides of the box. One hose is open to the grow room and the other hose goes to the tent at one of the fresh air input openings. Put some dowels high enough up in the box to hang your branches off of and you have a makeshift drying enclosure that should filter out the smell since it will be drawn thru your carbon filter. Oh, and seal up the box and have the hoses bend at 90 degrees somewhere to minimize light getting into the box. Oh and another thing that I didn’t do but will next time I need to do this, put some sort of baffle a short distance away from the box input to prevent the airflow from being straight thru the box and flowing over the hanging buds. I am a cheap old fart as you can probably tell and I jury rig a lot of stuff… 😁
Harvest on Thanksgiving and invite your family members to help trim the buds : )

That’s one hell of a contraption! 😆. Thanks again.

That’s one hell of a contraption! 😆. Thanks again.
My cats kill all the mice on my property so I don’t need to build a better mousetrap. I need other outlets. ;) Now crash? That guy comes up with some professional grade innovations. He had a cloning sleeve a while back that looked marketable.

My cats kill all the mice on my property so I don’t need to build a better mousetrap. I need other outlets. ;) Now crash? That guy comes up with some professional grade innovations. He had a cloning sleeve a while back that looked marketable.
It would only have been marketable if I had lied and said it worked : )

It would only have been marketable if I had lied and said it worked : )
Maybe if you had scored the branch or put a little cut or two in the branch? I have seen people do something similar with fruiting trees but I am not sure if they rough up the branch.

Maybe if you had scored the branch or put a little cut or two in the branch? I have seen people do something similar with fruiting trees but I am not sure if they rough up the branch.
I did strip some of the bark/skin off. I was thinking I used too much rooting powder. I might use one of the male freak shows to try again. There are some cheap plastic ornament spheres on Amazon that are sized a little better than my first attempt. Also want to try a fabric bag of some kind so it gets air as well as moisture.

Latest posts

Back