TDubs tiny tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I harvested half of the tent this morning. There’s wasn’t much to trim, and there was a lot of larf that I’ll likely dispose of. It was an “okay” grow….I can do much better next time with more aggressive defoliation and trimming. The colas are hang drying in a 2x2x4 tent. I didn’t give into the lazy temptation to use the bowl trimmer….but it sure crossed my mind.

1E9F8DB1-29ED-4FA5-A1F9-13BBF252E0B9.jpegB32FA2BB-04B2-4605-89F4-0BFB94250D47.jpeg

Giving this plant one more week with the plan to harvest after Thanksgiving. I’ll wait as long as I have to.

861CD0C8-CB6C-4521-A5C9-9EF35AB416BB.jpeg245C27B9-FD89-46C0-AD16-4D5672DC4F85.jpegE4AC8AA4-D1AC-4FCE-83A9-820F4032ED19.jpeg

Finished setting up the small drying tent and veg tent. They’re on the same type of AC Infinity Controller 69, so I’m able to automate and monitor and adjust each tent from my recliner today. So far I like the programmable aspect, but it could quickly become a nightmare if technology fails. The one environment that concerns me is the high 2.0 VPD in the flower tent. I don’t run a humidifier in there….perhaps I should? I have a spare humidifier, but the idea of adding humidity to the flower tent doesn’t sound logical when I’m trying to avoid bud rot. I’m at 40% humidity in flower with a vpd over 2.0.

15855DB7-7507-48EA-AE1A-7ABA81AD6A69.jpeg

do not fear waiting two more weeks

i bet it stinks inside that tent

You bet it does BigSur! My flower tent and drying tent are currently adding some nice aroma to the house….an aroma that needs to go away by Thanksgiving day. I’ll cover the return air exchange and run ONA gel with a fan before Thursday…..should be good. If not….I’ll at least have an interesting story to tell on Friday.

Here’s the harvest off the one Blue Dream. There’s a LOT of larfy bud on the stems that I’ll probably use for edibles instead, but I figured I’d hang dry it for now. I also have a product called a “Cannabrush” that I’ll use to do a final cleanup on the buds.

Just to make sure I’m doing this right….these are sitting in a dark tent with humidifier maintaining 52% humidity and 72 degrees. I have two small fans pointed at the floor of the tent of the tent. And I’m just leaving them alone for 5+ days until the small stems snap. I’m not running an exhaust fan or anything to exchange the air. My question for the day is whether I should cycle fresh air thru daily? I assume the ripening flowers put off gases like ripening fruit does (ethylene)…..does anyone know?

I’m making a lot more effort towards getting a good slow dry and a good slow cure…..I’ve always rushed it in the past.

Looks like the rest of the week is Thanksgiving prep here. Wishing everyone a great Thanksgiving dinner. I’ll update the trichome pictures and seedling photos then. Here’s the last trichome picture before Friday.

B2FB77BB-A8A6-430F-ADCE-6FE0795C627B.jpeg898A02D6-B963-494B-A896-17E47718E134.jpeg

C6B7D7FF-92AE-45A7-BB10-87B7F1D0636A.jpegC8FAFFD7-254B-4CEE-B416-2378F6F6EDFA.jpeg

I dry my buds in my basement with really no climate control. My gut says having some fresh air going into the drying tent(and tent air moving out of the tent) is good practice(removing the humid air from the plants drying out) but I don’t have a real good reason to say that. I would check the buds every day or two myself. I always worry about over drying the buds so they are past the point of curing. That being said, nice harvest tdub.

I’m drying mine above the garage in a walk in area this time. The humidity could be a bit higher for a perfect dry (which I could controll better in my spare bathroom) I think but my spare bathroom is not a great place to dry during the holidaze. I think it will be ok tho. I dry on a rack and have been turning the buds and they are looking good and drying slow so I’m ok with that.
314FD419-2219-4D34-97CF-E5668899CC8F.jpeg
40B881DE-1BE0-4BEF-8E44-6CE38B9FA149.jpeg

I dry my buds in my basement with really no climate control. My gut says having some fresh air going into the drying tent(and tent air moving out of the tent) is good practice(removing the humid air from the plants drying out) but I don’t have a real good reason to say that. I would check the buds every day or two myself. I always worry about over drying the buds so they are past the point of curing. That being said, nice harvest tdub.

Thanks OldFogey! Appreciate all of the help as I finish out my grow. This is my first harvest in two years, so everything is “familiar” but I’m having to research everything.

I have a humidifier going in the dry tent to maintain the humidity at 55% now and I’m opening the tent once daily to refresh the air around the buds. It can’t hurt as long as it doesn’t dry out the bud.

Can you get the temp in your flower tent lower? As I am sure you know, that will drive down the VPD.

I turned up the fan speed and I also discovered that the thermometer was reading 3 degrees higher than the leaf temperature. After calibrating the thermometer, I have the VPD down to 1.7. Thanks!

I turned up the fan speed and I also discovered that the thermometer was reading 3 degrees higher than the leaf temperature. After calibrating the thermometer, I have the VPD down to 1.7. Thanks!
I was wondering if there was some stratification of the temperature actually. Good catch since as I am sure you know, leaf surface temperature is where the rubber meets the road for VPD. I hang a thermometer from an adjustable light hanger and keep it at ‘top of canopy’ height though I was doing that before I had heard of VPD. I don’t have nearly the control of my environment that you do though so I am living vicariously thru you on this. I love the science part of growing as much as the ‘anecdotally successful’ part. I wish I was younger (and had a need of more weed) so I could justify the ‘bells and whistles’ your grow area has.

I’m drying mine above the garage in a walk in area this time. The humidity could be a bit higher for a perfect dry (which I could controll better in my spare bathroom) I think but my spare bathroom is not a great place to dry during the holidaze. I think it will be ok tho. I dry on a rack and have been turning the buds and they are looking good and drying slow so I’m ok with that.View attachment 313705View attachment 313706

Love the attic idea SubmarineGirl, and that’s a fantastic harvest there!!

Looks like a great drying environment to me. Drying during the holidays can be difficult with so many potential guests, and I hadn’t considered that option.

I was wondering if there was some stratification of the temperature actually. Good catch since as I am sure you know, leaf surface temperature is where the rubber meets the road for VPD. I hang a thermometer from an adjustable light hanger and keep it at ‘top of canopy’ height though I was doing that before I had heard of VPD. I don’t have nearly the control of my environment that you do though so I am living vicariously thru you on this. I love the science part of growing as much as the ‘anecdotally successful’ part. I wish I was younger (and had a need of more weed) so I could justify the ‘bells and whistles’ your grow area has.

Haha….yeah I wish I was younger too, LOL. These small tents allow me to screw around with technology more whereas a large tent would be way too much for me to smoke or manage. It’s also my only hobby as a retiree, so I justify everything that I buy as being “cheaper than golf”, “cheaper than hunting”etc when I make purchases. Haha. It really is too…..

Well, due to a clogged kitchen drain that the plumbers can’t repair until Monday, my entire Thanksgiving dinner has been canceled. All of this work to prevent drying cannabis aroma on that special day has been for nothing.

So….back to taking photos and preparing for harvest. Another week or so to go.

A few glamour shots with the flash too.

3AC2DFDF-4FEB-4305-96AD-CEEFD4ED827B.jpeg39FBDEC8-82FE-4746-B1C1-A05AC3A419C8.jpeg7562B5B6-F3D2-4A93-ACA2-87330B710D85.jpeg8B98E84B-57D9-4441-B6A8-DBF66CD9C514.jpegD43F284D-EC7F-47E9-9B5E-A485D1A69B7A.jpeg

I guess it’s ok to say “Happy Holidays” now…..let me be the first to wish you the Seasons Greetings! 🎄

I’m trying to be patient with Blue Dream #2. Blue Dream #1 has been hang drying for over 5 days now. Amazing how two seeds can grow so differently and mature at such different rates. I think the trichome maturation is actually going backwards here.

After reading some of your journals here on MP, I decided that I’d like to harvest with more amber than the first batch and there’s almost no amber visible yet. I’m not sure I’ve ever been THAT patient for a harvest.

I’ve worked my way up to almost 2 hours of Agromax UV lighting per day now….not sure if it’s helping with trichomes or not. These are frostier than my first plant, but nothing like I see other people post on here. I know that genetics plays a big part, but I suspect there’s something wrong with my lighting process or feeding. (Too much Light intensity? not enough DLI? Lamp too close or too far away? Bulking supplements needed?). These are Nirvana seeds. My next batch are from Seedsman and DNA Crew, so I may have frostier buds next time by using a different provider.

E6646257-5E84-4D7A-9FC1-E13AE3DCB2A5.jpeg2BA61FF4-8351-460E-938F-9D35AD3D1B64.jpegCFE1397B-D80E-4A4C-BA3A-02EAD40864DA.jpeg316C8EF7-20DA-4166-91D4-357C3089AED9.jpeg

The small veg tent with the humidifier is working great. Nothing fancy, but the seedlings are really responding to the higher humidity. If I could get the heat up a little more at night I’m sure it would help. I’ve included the weekly report showing the average temperature is 74 degrees and average humidity is 67%. Temps drop down to 66.2 at night….could be worse. ( I run a small heat mat in the tent)

These are 13 days old since popping the soil and I think they are ready to transplant into one gallons now that the leaves hang over the edge of the solo cups? I tend to transplant way too early, so I’m holding back the urge to do it today,

398B4C68-1909-477F-AA68-6F6B52654E37.jpeg764BEE64-16FB-4183-8CF3-493E973ABC4B.jpeg

Your buds look nice. I think every grow and every strain, even every plant is different No matter where the seeds come from. I’ve grown the exact strain in the same tent with totally different looking buds.

I have had plants that get very little amber(one almost no amber even after 14 weeks but that was very, very sativa dominant). The upside of waiting is the buds bulk up so longer flowering if you have the time, don’t need the tent space and enough bud that you don’t need to chop a longer ripening plant, rewards you. The 14 week plant(Greenhouse Seeds Thai) was among my favorite smoke(and a favorite of my sons who shared it with their buddies as well) of all my grows.

Your buds look nice. I think every grow and every strain, even every plant is different No matter where the seeds come from. I’ve grown the exact strain in the same tent with totally different looking buds.

Thank you SubmarineGirl. Buds are small but I’m not disappointed there. I’ve observed that every year I fail to grow flowers with a high density of trichomes and was hoping for more with this grow given the special attention I paid to lighting intensity, side lighting and UV Lighting. Not sure how some people manage to grow extra frosty buds that are coated in layers and layers of trichomes….i have room to improve. Some of it is surely strain-related, but there must be some “tricks” too to better quality buds that I can pick up by reading journals.

Of course, I’m just thrilled to have her almost ready to harvest.

I have had plants that get very little amber(one almost no amber even after 14 weeks but that was very, very sativa dominant). The upside of waiting is the buds bulk up so longer flowering if you have the time, don’t need the tent space and enough bud that you don’t need to chop a longer ripening plant, rewards you. The 14 week plant(Greenhouse Seeds Thai) was among my favorite smoke(and a favorite of my sons who shared it with their buddies as well) of all my grows.

Hi OldFogey….hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Wow…..you have shown a lot of patience by waiting for 14 weeks. I think I can do 13 weeks before I’ll need the tent, but this is only a 7-9 week strain and the other one was ready in 8. Hopefully I don’t have to wait much more. I really like the samples from the first Blue Dream, but I’d like the next harvest to be a little less energizing. I don’t mind waiting a few more weeks, especially now that I have some harvested. Sounds like there’s very little downside to waiting as long as it doesn’t turn too amber. I’ll follow your advice here. Thanks

I think I’m close to jarring and curing time…..this should be my best harvest ever since I usually overdry it quickly. My weed generally sucked until now. Documenting my grow forces me to pay attention.

Thank you SubmarineGirl. Buds are small but I’m not disappointed there. I’ve observed that every year I fail to grow flowers with a high density of trichomes and was hoping for more with this grow given the special attention I paid to lighting intensity, side lighting and UV Lighting. Not sure how some people manage to grow extra frosty buds that are coated in layers and layers of trichomes….i have room to improve. Some of it is surely strain-related, but there must be some “tricks” too to better quality buds that I can pick up by reading journals.

Of course, I’m just thrilled to have her almost ready to harvest.
Fulvic acid along with EM-1 seemed to up my bud density in the past. I have some powder I got from Kelp4Less called Extreme Blend that has kelp and fulvic acid in it that seemed to help. I also tried a liquid from General Hydroponics called Diamond Nectar which worked and I liked better because it was easier to mix(I was using a 2 gallon sprayer to water my plants with and some of the solids in EB would clog the sprayer. EM-1 is a liquid like fermented tea that is full of beneficial microbes that help chelate nutrients for easier uptake.

Latest posts

Back