Tetrafluroehane Extraction / how would it react to a full PCV setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepheneking

Reaction score
Hello fellow MP memebers! I have been digging in to find the best way to setup a budget tetrafluroehane (HFC-134A); yes freon 134a, extraction setup. Before I get to far into it I have been doing a lot of digging and research on the caracteristics of 134a used instead of propane, butane or eth0nal.
I am also looking to do this with low temps and low pressure. I am also looking for a efficient setup using PVC. I have been looking at the butane extraction reaction to Polyvinyl chloride weaking and leaking into the oils. I have also looked for the reactive properties where freon 134a is used in a PVC application. According to my findings, there is little reactive properties where the mineral oils and eth oils have been removed from 134a.
Is there anyone out there fimilar with using PVC not with butane or propane but with low pressure freon 134a?

It would be a closed loop system..mainly if there is little reactive properties from the freon and the pvc. In the case for low heat and pressure. It could make for a good low budget PVC build for the do it yourselfer!

Thoughts friends!?

Simply "C" Super Critical CO2 extraction machine -- No solvent but CO2 !-- All done sub zero no terps lost to heat --Look at it maybe U can build a similar rig ?

I would start with the SDS, cross linked plastics show degradation from the thermal swings, not the chemical reaction. CPVC or Teflon tubing makes a better choice. My main concern would not be whether the plastic can handle it, but how well the Earth's atmosphere can handle it and the residual effects of the Freon on the human body. Personally, I don't like being a guinea pig for scientific research that can lead to death or permanent disability. The FDA requires testing on drugs and food for a very good reason. You should really rethink what you are doing. Try some basic logic. If what you are saying is correct, then CO and Cali would already be doing it, and they're not doing it this way.

I would start with the SDS, cross linked plastics show degradation from the thermal swings, not the chemical reaction. CPVC or Teflon tubing makes a better choice. My main concern would not be whether the plastic can handle it, but how well the Earth's atmosphere can handle it and the residual effects of the Freon on the human body. Personally, I don't like being a guinea pig for scientific research that can lead to death or permanent disability. The FDA requires testing on drugs and food for a very good reason. You should really rethink what you are doing. Try some basic logic. If what you are saying is correct, then CO and Cali would already be doing it, and they're not doing it this way.
Actually, there are commercial companies that do this today. They produce this today without releasing the gas into the air! In fact it is in a contained environment. My basic logic tells me to back up my findings with facts....are we a go! I love a good debat my friend ;-)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIDxAG&usg=AOvVaw1yHK39TdOXbGqhdLitiU2K

I also thought about using CPVC, which does provide up to 212F. It also has been tested for reaction with HFC134a with low to none in comparison to butane and propane. I didn't think about any type of Teflon setup though....

the nih study doesn’t look to assess long term exposure. regardless, why would you want to use hfc? You can make concentrates using a number of relatively safe and time tested methods including ice for bubble hash, high proof alcohol for rso or co2. like umbra wrote, if it was a good method colorado, california, and probably the dutch would have proven it and perfected it. i would hope you would tell your test subjects about the chemicals you are dosing them with. i would be pretty pissed if i found out someone gave me hfc extract. just because it can be done doesn’t mean it should be...

Mr. King. Sir. With all due respect; please DON'T.
This really isn't the place to start your extraction adventure. Freon is NOT meant to be anywhere near the operator, much less an ingestible end product. Even as a refrigerant - you know, its intended purpose- it is not without its hazards.
Traditional CO2 is far, far safer.
Sincerely,
A professional industrial chemist and hazmat trainer

I guess for the high effieciency that is being shown by using this method. Some of my findings show higher efficiencies using this method.

Mr. King. Sir. With all due respect; please DON'T.
This really isn't the place to start your extraction adventure. Freon is NOT meant to be anywhere near the operator, much less an ingestible end product. Even as a refrigerant - you know, its intended purpose- it is not without its hazards.
Traditional CO2 is far, far safer.
Sincerely,
A professional industrial chemist and hazmat trainer
Well we find it in medicine applications why not in application for extracts? Possibly already being used in something you consume already? Why has the FDA approved its use already?

Im not following. Your findings? Have you already been running extractions with various methods?
I'd gladly trade a bit of efficiency for knowing I'm not playing renal system roulette.

the nih study doesn’t look to assess long term exposure. regardless, why would you want to use hfc? You can make concentrates using a number of relatively safe and time tested methods including ice for bubble hash, high proof alcohol for rso or co2. like umbra wrote, if it was a good method colorado, california, and probably the dutch would have proven it and perfected it. i would hope you would tell your test subjects about the chemicals you are dosing them with. i would be pretty pissed if i found out someone gave me hfc extract. just because it can be done doesn’t mean it should be...
Why would we only leave California or Colorado get all of the perfections. I would like to keep and open mind to new possible inovations elsewhere with the explosion and inventions with cannabis. I can however, see exhisting applications using this not only as a cooling application.

Well we find it in medicine applications why not in application for extracts? Possibly already being used in something you consume already? Why has the FDA approved its use already?
the FDA approved fen-phen too lol. But I can assure youI don't consume refrigerant. And the processing environment and techniques in a biomedical manufacturing environment, and the training and equipment they have available are far more sophisticated than what a home producer does.

Im not following. Your findings? Have you already been running extractions with various methods?
I'd gladly trade a bit of efficiency for knowing I'm not playing renal system roulette.
Stinky, we are in the information age! I can just google Tetrafluoroethane extraction and see a whole list of informaton where its already proven a viable and safe way to extract with this.
I am however, experiance-less when it comes to extraction. This is my first ventures...

There's so many safer ways -- I don't understand the I'm do it this way approach -- The future is solventless get used to it !-- I wouldn't want what U making- I don't care who approved it -- and I don't even know anything about Freon!
Does the petroleum taste carry over like butane ?-- That's nasty !

May I suggest U make hash then use a Rosen press to press the oil out ? -- or make RSO ?-- just don't evaporate the ethenol in the house -- make big boom !

You see Keef thats just it, its still not that safe with the know methods. Why would this method be any worse, from some of my findings it shows a safer process and you can do it in about 2-3hrs start to finish. Im just not trying to knock the scientific evidence already shown that its a viable option. And there is nothing to evaporate! Just saying, with love!

If you have no extraction experience, much less formal training in laboratory best practices and hazardous materials handling, imvho you have no business starting with a relatively untested technology, of which we have zero data on the long term effects.
This is my advice, coming from a place of concern for your health and that of your neighbors, and respect for chemical handling, and you can take it or leave it.

In California, extractions with butane are 6 years mandatory prison sentence, because of how explosive it is.

If you have no extraction experience, much less formal training in laboratory best practices and hazardous materials handling, imvho you have no business starting with a relatively untested technology, of which we have zero data on the long term effects.
This is my advice, coming from a place of concern for your health and that of your neighbors, and respect for chemical handling, and you can take it or leave it.
I may not have the experiance with the extraction, and I wouldn't say that I would start something without some type of training education before I would start anything in this process. Saftey is important, I agree. I am aware of hazardous materials handling and thier practices, I am educated you know! Don't take me for a fool! Your tone says else ;-) respectfully.

Latest posts

Back