THC Found in Colorado Towns Water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From thecannabist.co

Hugo water: Test results coming soon amid THC worries

The town of about 750 on Colorado’s Eastern Plains warned its residents not to drink or cook with its tap water on Thursday because officials said multiple preliminary tests of the water came back positive for THC

By Jesse Paul and John Ingold, The Denver Post

hugowater_406x250.jpg

http://video.denverpost.com/?ndn.tr...eel=90115&sitesection=denverpost&vid=31178128

Authorities now say conclusive test results on the town of Hugo’s water supply should be completed by Saturday amid a suspected THC contamination of a well.

“We want to know too,” the sheriff’s office said in a tweet announcing that results would not be ready Friday afternoon as hoped.

The town of about 750 on Colorado’s Eastern Plains warned its residents not to drink or cook with its tap water on Thursday because officials said multiple preliminary tests of the water came back positive for THC, the main psychoactive compound in marijuana.

Residents were told not even to let their pets drink the water.
Officials initially warned that even bathing in the water was dangerous, but later rescinded that alert.

There have been no reports of illnesses or any symptoms of impairment from drinking the water, officials said at a news conference Thursday evening. Deeper tests, which could be completed Friday, are needed to verify the presence of THC and to determine the level of contamination, if any.

“We are checking to make sure this isn’t because of the field test kit — that it isn’t a false positive,” said Capt. Michael Yowell of Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office.

But Yowell said there were enough troubling signs for officials to take quick action.

Concerns about the water were first raised by a Hugo company using quick “field tests” to check employees for THC, Yowell said. The simple tests are similar in function to home pregnancy tests in that they can return only two results: positive or negative.

Yowell said Lincoln County officials conducted 10 other field tests, using two different types of test kits, on the town’s water and six came back positive. Authorities later isolated the positive results to a single well — well No. 1, about a mile south of Hugo’s small downtown. When sheriff’s deputies investigated, Yowell said, they found signs of forced entry at the well, though it is unclear when the damage may have occurred.

Agents from the FBI and Colorado Bureau of Investigation are participating in the probe.

hugorj1_2820.jpg

The Loaf N Jug convenience store in Hugo didn’t stock coffee on July 22, 2016 after officials found THC in the town’s water supply. The Colorado Bureau of Investigation is conducting tests on the water.

Distribution of water began in the town on Friday morning, residents could get water at the Hugo Town Hall. The city was handing out water bottles and allowing residents to fill containers.
“Please take care of each other and let (neighbors) know water is available,” Lincoln County Public Health posted on its Facebook page.
Some have cast doubt on the dangers of THC-contaminated water or whether it’s even possible to spike tap water with marijuana.
“It would take more product than any of us could afford to contaminate a city water supply to the extent that people would suffer any effects,” Dr. John Fox, Lincoln County’s health officer, said in a statement.
Peter Perrone, who owns Wheat Ridge cannabis testing facility Gobi Analytical, said cannabinoids such as THC or CBD “are in no way soluble in water.”
“There is zero possibility that there’s anything like THC in the Hugo water,” Perrone said.

hugorj1_2935.jpg

Hugo resident Sam Stalford gets ready to get into his truck to go pick up bottled water July 22, 2016 after officials found THC in the town’s water supply. CBI is testing the water for Lincoln County.

(RJ Sangosti, The Denver Post)
This story was first published on DenverPost.com

http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/07/22/hugo-water-test-results-suspected-thc-contamination/59105/

Y'all save me some of that there "contaminated water". I'll b there as quick as I can.

I wish this will happen someday in my country.

What a bunch of idiots. And i mean idiots. I didnt realize ppl could be so freaking retarded.

I am wityh the group that does not even believe that it is possible to "spike" water with cannabis. Like mentioned, cannabis is not soluable in water....so how could this happen....and why were they testing water for THC in the first place? This is a weird story based on some kind of field test that could well be wrong.

An infusion? Oil concentrated into something that will dissolve? Gallons of something like infused honey could prob do it... A little spikes a cooler of fruit juice just fine.

is this treated water? did someone botch a vat of rso and pour it down the drain??

I don't believe that line of crap for one minute. I worked for the Water Dept several yrs ago,,,it didn't happen guys. It would take way way way to much THC to even show up in such a large water supply. Even then,,,i would call it BULLSHIT. Besides oil and water do not mix.

nobody said it has to be a colloidal perfectly suspended solution. large bodies of water are also generally in motion...

I'd question the qty required, but i'd assume a large ammt of infused alcohol, or food byproduct undiluted could do something in a water supply.

***there are measurable ammts of thc in our toilet waste water already, the gov't has been measuring this for years. we piss it out, and it mixes in water fine...

Havent tested my toilet water lately, ,,but again im gonna call it what it is,,,bull.

Just saying... The fact that something isn't naturally water soluble doesn't really mean anything at all... I agree that any real qty is unlikely, but making things soluble and suspending them in liquid isn't impossible. With the money/time and desire I'm sure a water supply could be spiked.

I'm not even sure, but the newer isolates/distillates might be soluble alone...

Likely not a true case of spiked water, but not as impossible as some would suggest.

Anything is possible,,but i cant see why ANYBODY would waste that much time,effort and tons of THC to mess with a water supply that I still dont understand why it was tested for THC. I have never seen a water report from any city that tested for THC.

They went from testing employees for thc, to the water supply?

"I'm high but all I drank was water." :rofl:

Something is not right with this story....:**:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe1jjYCMDFM[/ame]

Just saying... The fact that something isn't naturally water soluble doesn't really mean anything at all... I agree that any real qty is unlikely, but making things soluble and suspending them in liquid isn't impossible. With the money/time and desire I'm sure a water supply could be spiked.

I'm not even sure, but the newer isolates/distillates might be soluble alone...

Likely not a true case of spiked water, but not as impossible as some would suggest.

Peter Perrone, a chemist and owner of the state-licensed cannabis testing facility, Gobi Analytical in suburban Denver said in an interview that it is virtually impossible to find THC in water in concentrated levels because cannabinoids are not water soluble.

LOL--just as we figured WH--a line of bull by some reefer madness idiot with absolutely no basis in fact. And I really want to know why anyone was testing water for THC in the first place? And how did they tested it? Is there actually a field test kit that tests water for THC? The entire story sounded bogus from the get go.

Yes mam,,,but even as stupid as it sounded, ,,some where biting on the bait,,which worries me that ppl would consider such rediculous bullshit. Thats how crap gets a foothold.

Latest posts

Back