THC Strawberries Anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombbudpuffa

Sweet Cheeba Chiefa
Reaction score
Company makes any plant produce THC

June 1, 2009

Oakdale, CA: Scientists at Montsaint Genie Tech Inc. announced today that they have successfully transferred the gene segment that produces the psychotropic chemical THC in cannabis plants to many other common garden plants, including tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, and more.

“We probably can put the THC segment into almost any plant in existence,” says lead scientist Rebeca Vale. “It’s a very simple process. We are starting work on oak and maple trees now.”

Asked if the resulting plants could be used in ways similar to cannabis, Vale replied, “Well, you can’t make twine out of a tomato plant, but if someone were to dry it and smoke it, all of the medicinal and psychotropic effects of marijuana would be present. And what’s more, we have learned that tomatoes, in particular, actually produce more THC than cannabis itself.”

But is it legal? “Actually, yes,” says Vale. “Our research qualifies as GMO ‘intellectual property’, as does the process itself. Since tomatoes and other plants are not illegal, a person would be well within the law to grow them and use them as they please.”

Vale says that her company is working on a spray that will transfer the segment to many plants simply by spraying the leaves of seedlings.

“It’s a very simple process,” she says. “Anyone can do it. We plan to start selling the spray - ‘Genie Mist’ - in a matter of weeks. One bottle will sell for five dollars and be capable of treating 6,000 seedlings.”

But how do the tomatoes taste? “Scrumptious,” Vale says. “But, of course, they are best when roasted.”

hxxp://metaedit.tumblr.com/post/116622882/scientists-at-montsaint-genie-tech-inc-announced
Sounds like a virus in a spray bottle to me:rolleyes:.

This is old news...high times 1984

News
A Florida Biochemist Designs a Citrus Tree with THC

Wed, Jan 30, 2008 9:52 pm
more: headline news

source: cannabisodling.1av10.nu

In the summer of 1984, 10th-grader Irwin Nanofsky and a friend were driving down the Apalachee Parkway on the way home from baseball practice when they were pulled over by a police officer for a minor traffic infraction.

After Nanofsky produced his driver's license the police officer asked permission to search the vehicle. In less than two minutes, the officer found a homemade pipe underneath the passenger's seat of the Ford Aerostar belonging to the teenage driver's parents. The minivan was seized, and the two youths were taken into custody on suspicion of drug possession.

Illegal possession of drug paraphernalia ranks second only to open container violations on the crime blotter of this Florida college town. And yet the routine arrest of 16 year-old Nanofsky and the seizure of his family's minivan would inspire one of the most controversial drug-related scientific discoveries of the century.

Meet Hugo Nanofsky, biochemist, Florida State University tenured professor, and the parental authority who posted bail for Irwin Nanofsky the night of July 8, 1984. The elder Nanofsky wasn't pleased that his son had been arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia, and he became livid when Tallahassee police informed him that the Aerostar minivan would be permanently remanded to police custody.

Over the course of the next three weeks, Nanofsky penned dozens of irate letters to the local police chief, the Tallahassee City Council, the State District Attorney and, finally, even to area newspapers. But it was all to no avail.

Under advisement of the family lawyer, Irwin Nanofsky pled guilty to possession of drug paraphernalia in order to receive a suspended sentence and have his juvenile court record sealed. But in doing so, the family minivan became "an accessory to the crime." According to Florida State law, it also became the property of the Tallahassee Police Department Drug Task Force. In time, the adult Nanofsky would learn that there was nothing he could do legally to wrest the vehicle from the hands of the state.

It was in the fall of 1984 that John Chapman Professor of Biochemistry at Florida State University, now driving to work behind the wheel of a used Pontiac Bonneville, first set on a pet project that he hoped would "dissolve irrational legislation with a solid dose of reason." Nanofsky knew he would never get his family's car back, but he had plans to make sure that no one else would be pulled through the gears of what he considers a Kafka-esque drug enforcement bureaucracy.

"It's quite simple, really," Nanofsky explains, "I wanted to combine Citrus sinesis with Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol." In layman's terms, the respected college professor proposed to grow oranges that would contain THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. Fourteen years later, that project is complete, and Nanofsky has succeeded where his letter writing campaign of yore failed: he has the undivided attention of the nation's top drug enforcement agencies, political figures, and media outlets.

The turning point in the Nanofsky saga came when the straight-laced professor posted a message to Internet newsgroups announcing that he was offering "cannabis-equivalent orange tree seeds" at no cost via the U.S. mail. Several weeks later, U.S. Justice Department officials showed up at the mailing address used in the Internet announcement: a tiny office on the second floor of the Dittmer Laboratory of Chemistry building on the FSU campus. There they would wait for another 40 minutes before Prof. Nanofsky finished delivering a lecture to graduate students on his recent research into the "cis-trans photoisomerization of olefins."

"I knew it was only a matter of time before someone sent me more than just a self-addressed stamped envelope," Nanofsky quips, "but I was surprised to see Janet Reno's special assistant at my door." After a series of closed door discussions, Nanofsky agreed to cease distribution of the THC-orange seeds until the legal status of the possibly narcotic plant species is established.

Much to the chagrin of authorities, the effort to regulate Nanofsky's invention may be too little too late. Several hundred packets containing 40 to 50 seeds each have already been sent to those who've requested them, and Nanofsky is not obliged to produce his mailing records. Under current law, no crime has been committed and it is unlikely that charges will be brought against the fruit's inventor.

Now it is federal authorities who must confront the nation's unwieldy body of inconsistent drug laws. According to a source at the Drug Enforcement Agency, it may be months if not years before all the issues involved are sorted out, leaving a gaping hole in U.S. drug policy in the meantime. At the heart of the confusion is the fact that THC now naturally occurs in a new species of citrus fruit.

As policy analysts and hemp advocates alike have been quick to point out, the apparent legality (for now) of Nanofsky's "pot orange" may render debates over the legalization of marijuana moot. In fact, Florida's top law enforcement officials admit that even if the cultivation of Nanofsky's orange were to be outlawed, it would be exceedingly difficult to identify the presence of outlawed fruit among the state's largest agricultural crop.

Amidst all of the hubbub surrounding his father's experiment, Irwin Nanofsky exudes calm indifference. Now 30-years-old and a successful environmental photographer, the younger Nanofsky can't understand what all of the fuss is about. "My dad's a chemist. He makes polymers. I doubt it ever crossed his mind that as a result of his work tomorrow's kids will be able to get high off of half an orange."

function text_this(){ document.getElementById("text_to").value = "Enter Phone Number"; document.getElementById("text_from").value = "Enter Email"; $('#text_this').toggle(); $("#text_this").shadow({opacity:0.1,offset:3}); }

umbra said:
This is old news...high times 1984

News
A Florida Biochemist Designs a Citrus Tree with THC

Wed, Jan 30, 2008 9:52 pm

a year and a half isn't that old... or..
and the mention of 14 years later would make it, 1998..?
and either way, it's new news to me!
i've daydreamed about being the one to make a bud/cottonwood tree.
but look's like someone beat me to it.. ah well..
i can imagine the salads of the future... Mmmmm....:rolleyes:

How long, if marketed would it take "them" to either:

A. Regulate it

or

B. Make it just plain illegal.

The Effen Gee said:
How long, if marketed would it take "them" to either:

A. Regulate it

or

B. Make it just plain illegal.

Pretty damn quick. Imagine, if you will, the controvercy over ethics. The ethics of some Johnny Appleseed spraying everything in sight only to have school aged kids access it.

I personally don't see what's so cool about someone unexpectedly becoming blasted from a tomato bought at the grocery or farmers market because someone at the farm thought they would play a little joke.

I know if I sent my 4 year old a strawberry in her lunch and got a call from her daycare, somebody is gonna be losing some body parts. Starting with their head.

Ok, I've got a bag of White Widow Grapes for sale. Honest, F1 grapes man. These are one bite grapes man. You do one of these puppies and you'll be high for 8 hours. I have some serious Maui Cucumbers too man. It's hard to keep them lit, but damn thier good.

Hahahahahahaahaha :eek: :D

people have been trying to turn on the THC gene in other plants for decades. Like others have said I will believe it hwne I see it. Scientists have known for a long time that this woulod be possible after they isolated the THC producing gene. But I'm wary of a SPRAY that treats the plants. I would rather see the genetics altered so that you cangrow THC producing fruits from seed with no added chemicals.
Watch, 5 years from now the FDA is going to discover that this checmical spray they use causes cancer. I would NEVER spray a checmical on a plant I am going to SMOKE without knowing exactly what is in the checmical, what it is going to do to the plants, and what it will do to the human body once ingested.

What I am really curious about is the selection of oranges, a pretty genetically diverse plant. Surely oranges being one of the main crops of FL had something to do with it. But this really isn't old news. I read an article recently about a scientist trying to turn on THC production in Rose Bushes. Hopefull 5 years down the road we can have multiple plants in our yards that produce THC and are also ordinary looking plant...I know I'm dreaming now. But scientists are working on it. WOuldn't you? Producing THC producing fruits would make you a BILLIONAIRE.

bombbudpuffa said:
That was a hoax:).

hxxp://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2009/01/06/scientist-creates-pot-orange/

When will I learn to read the entire thread before reacting? Uh, that the neighbors have no oranges, grapefruits, limes nor lemons left is as close to good news as I have at the moment. Bad news--I ruined a perfectly good smoking apparatus with no discernable effects.:D

The only way to change a plants DNA like that would require giving it a virus from my understanding. I wonder if thats what the spray would be? Ebola with a THC imprint:D.

bombbudpuffa said:
The only way to change a plants DNA like that would require giving it a virus from my understanding. I wonder if thats what the spray would be? Ebola with a THC imprint:D.

No not necessarily, there is gene therapy which can alter genes without implementing a virus in the process. I still think this is something that is a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG (as in decades) away.

gene therapy is differnet from altering genes. Gene therapy alteres future generations of the gene. Gene maniplutaion alters the gene in the existing plant.

Latest posts

Back