The 400 watt pound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good read -- much respect for your experience and your results. A pound from 400 watts is more than respectable, and I am real happy to hear it can be done. I wonder what kind of quantity you might get with 1000 watts. I have limited experience (my second year) but I am pulling a respectable quantity in my 4x4 tent, and I am happy with my results and the quality of my product. I just grow for myself, friends and family, and things are working out quite well -- everyone is happy. I am finding that the more experience a grower has under his (her) belt, the more likely they are to do things a bit differently than others -- I don't believe there is a best way to grow -- everyone has their own philosophy and technique. I like to keep things simple (and cheap), so I use a variation of the Lucus formula using GH 3 part nutrients -- I vedge 24/0 for two reasons: 1. I believe the experts in here who claim that MJ is one of a class of plants which need no dark period while in vegetation, and 2. because I used to live in Alaska and have seen first hand what 24 hours of sunlight can do for some plants -- truly amazing growth. I'm sure I will change up the things I do and the way I grow as I gain experience, and I am grateful for your input -- thank you for the food for thought...

Peace

that is a good read I found it interesting, just seems like a recipe for the more experienced growers, as for the amateurs like me I think I will stick to the simple stuff.

EMERALDRECTANGL said:
I guess I am unsure of the question. Do you mean 24-0? I am pretty sure that is what you were referring to. The reason I personally do not run my veg lights all the time because it is unnatural for the plant and hinders their potential. Unless you live in the Arctic Circle or Antarctica there is no place on Earth that has sunlight around the clock. Plants photosynthesize during the day and produce carbs and sugars. Those need to be transported to your rhizosphere and utilized so that things happen in proportion. Just think how much less effective you are as a person when you do not get sleep, now picture that over a few weeks time. I do know some folks who say they getting better results by never turning their lights off but hey different strokes for different folks.:) :)

When we run the lights all the time, it is referred to as running your lights 24/7 (I'm surprised that you did not know that). Marijuana is in a class of plants that does not need a dark period. Marijuana will grow all the time the lights are on. Just because people need sleep does not mean that cannabis needs it. Running your lights 18/6 instead of 24/7 lengthens your veg period and encourages stretch. We are not trying to duplicate mother nature when we grow inside, we are trying to optimize everything and make it better. Since you speak a lot of optimizing your space, I would just think that you would want to be running your veg lights all the time.

HemperFi said:
Good read -- much respect for your experience and your results. A pound from 400 watts is more than respectable, and I am real happy to hear it can be done. I wonder what kind of quantity you might get with 1000 watts. I have limited experience (my second year) but I am pulling a respectable quantity in my 4x4 tent, and I am happy with my results and the quality of my product. I just grow for myself, friends and family, and things are working out quite well -- everyone is happy. I am finding that the more experience a grower has under his (her) belt, the more likely they are to do things a bit differently than others -- I don't believe there is a best way to grow -- everyone has their own philosophy and technique. I like to keep things simple (and cheap), so I use a variation of the Lucus formula using GH 3 part nutrients -- I vedge 24/0 for two reasons: 1. I believe the experts in here who claim that MJ is one of a class of plants which need no dark period while in vegetation, and 2. because I used to live in Alaska and have seen first hand what 24 hours of sunlight can do for some plants -- truly amazing growth. I'm sure I will change up the things I do and the way I grow as I gain experience, and I am grateful for your input -- thank you for the food for thought...

Peace

I thank you for the advice about the 24/7 veg. I have tried it, and my results were that the clones that got some dark rooted faster and were healthier. Now if I were to use a landrace from Alaska or Russia that would be used to the perpetual sunlight they might do way better than a sativa from Central America that has never experienced such a phenomena. I do appreciate the feedback, and look forward to talking to you guys further. :icon_smile:

skullcandy said:
that is a good read I found it interesting, just seems like a recipe for the more experienced growers, as for the amateurs like me I think I will stick to the simple stuff.[/QUOTE

Thanks for reading :)

EMERALDRECTANGL said:
I thank you for the advice about the 24/7 veg. I have tried it, and my results were that the clones that got some dark rooted faster and were healthier. Now if I were to use a landrace from Alaska or Russia that would be used to the perpetual sunlight they might do way better than a sativa from Central America that has never experienced such a phenomena. I do appreciate the feedback, and look forward to talking to you guys further. :icon_smile:

Yeah that's the thing...you are correct. Clones have a harder time throwing roots with the more light you give them. That's why all my clones go under a 26 w cfl. Less intense light helps them throw roots quicker, but that is where the less light is better ends. Plants in veg like 24-7 light....quicker more robust growth.

Its funny that there exists this problem of plants being unable to adapt to light variations, because just about everyone here on this forum grows multiple varieties of plants from around the worrld and using 24/7 veg lighting without any trouble or losses. I have seen both sides of the issue as I started out vegging under 18/6 lighting and then switched to 24/7 and discovered better results not worse. I have talked as well to others that have done the same as me and got better results rather than worse. :)

:icon_smile: Here we are completely finished. Im gonna be on the plus side of that LB mark this time for shure!!:eek:

rsz_imag0155.jpg

rsz_imag0156.jpg

rsz_imag0163.jpg

rsz_imag0168.jpg

Hey nice looking ladies you got have a quick question though how many sq ft is that light being used to cover? I also have better results giving my plants a rest period (a dark cycle) during veg but to each their own.

400 watts to produce a pound, 5 plants at 3 ounces and a bit each, its doable but requires a dialed in room, Nice job bro.

Growdude said:
Are you sure?

I second that nice grow other wise but i can;t for the life of me say that grow is close to a pound your going to need litterally 4 pounds wet to achieve a pound dry and my friend that is allot of buds huge big dense buds to be exact
A 400watt Hps Gives off around 52,000 Lumens.. Which is enough to grow up to 8 mature plants.. again not going to be seriously dense buds middle of plant down so massive weight loss is due to penetration power
There isnt really a rule of thumb, since there are many factors that go into growing. However, the goal of many people (although very few ever reach it) is to get one gram per watt. So in theory under completely perfect conditions you could get 10-14 ounces off of a 400w.....but this never really happens. it only happens in fairly land

from Ed rosenthals book

Each watt of HPS light input produces a yield of between 3⁄8 and one gram of bud.

A 150w lamp produces a yield of 50-135 grams. This lamp is not as efficient as larger watt lamps, resulting in lower yield.

A 250w lamp produces a yield of 85-225 grams. This lamp is not as efficient as larger watt lamps, resulting in lower yield.

A 400w lamp produces a yield of between 130-350 grams, that is, a little less per gram than a 1000w lamp because they do not produce as much light per watt as the larger lamps.

A 600w lamp produces a yield of about 250-660 grams. The 600w is the most efficient of the HPS lamps.

A 1000w lamp produces a yield of about 375-1000 grams.

Metal halide lamps are not as efficient as HPS lamps and yield about 10% less bud than HPS lamps of equivalent wattage. However, metal halides emit some UVB light, which increases potency.

CFL lamps emit about 35-25% less light per watt than HPS lamps.

T-5 fluorescents emit about 25% less light per watt than HPS lamps. They may have better spectrums and definitely have more even light distribution but can only be placed four per linear foot (12 per meter) using commercial fixtures.

T-8 fluorescents emit about 30% less light per watt than HPS lamps. Their width prohibits their use at more than two tubes per foot (0.3 m) of width.

looking at the pics for sure thats not a pound, do you have another room or something?

If that's a pound then I must have 5 pounds going in my 4x4 flower tent. They look good but that's no pound, dry.

fellowsped said:
Hey nice looking ladies you got have a quick question though how many sq ft is that light being used to cover? I also have better results giving my plants a rest period (a dark cycle) during veg but to each their own.
2X4 TENT

:eek: 4 pounds. Good luck.

Hope everything turns out good for ya no matter the weight.

8 PLANTS 2-3 OZ PER PLANT. 4-5 tops weighing 10-14 grams dry. its just math at that point. I am just trying to help others with what I have found to work. I really dont care if you believe me or not. I have NOTHING to gain by lying to you. Cheers

DrFever said:
you could get 10-14 ounces off of a 400w.....but this never really happens. it only happens in fairly land

Like getting over 7 lb's off of 3000w.

Latest posts

Back