The adventures of Dirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chong420

Reaction score
Alright after reading up a bit and finally coming to the conclusion to grow my own, due to the fact that i'm getting tired of buying as well as "connections" not coming through or for the simple fact that around here, it's pretty much dry..i've started with a 4 foot work shop light, burning two 48" fluoros (3400 lumens) in a 4' wide, 2' deep and 8 feet tall closet. Sprouted some bagseed, one came thru..i got excited and planted..so i only got one growing so far..put her in a tuppeware container thing with some miracle gro soil..don't know the specs on it..my girlfriend bought it last year..so that meant i didn't have to spend money on soil..the whole fluoro set up ran me about 40 bucks tops..(might get more fluoro's..that's if these damn seeds will ever sprout)..it sprang out last saturday..and today is wednesday..it's about 3" tall, about 3 inches away from the fluoro. been watering it everytime i feel that the soil is dry..or getting there at least..just kinda take it in the bathroom and run my hand under the faucet and sprinkle water on it until it looks pretty moisty..so far no problems..probably go back to Wally World this weekend and get another work shop light fixture..boosting the lumen to 6400..hopefully by then, i'll have more seedlings to put into the closet..i'll try to post pics, but my girlfriend broke my digi when we went to the beach last year..maybe some picture phone pics perhaps?

you don't want to water that much. B. Grunt posted a great little article (somewhere) on overwatering. better read it. Lets see "dirt grow" good luck dude.Common newb mistakes. overwatering and over fertilizing. it is easier to fix underwatering and under ferting then the other way around. ;)

Click edit in the lower right of that post. and select delete then press the delete button. ;)

won't let me mutt..i can delet the replies..but not the actual post..what a crock..anyways..thanks for info..so i'll water, say every 2 days? she's still small..

once a week for me. but depends on you relative humidty and temp. If you don't got a digital thermometer with a RH meter get one. wal-mart 5 bucks. While your there get some PH strips (10 bucks). (aquarium section). Trust me those things will come in handy.

ok..i came home and said, lets plant those other seeds..they didn't sprout, but the ones i did use were cracked and i could seed the sprout inside peeking out a bit..been like that for like a week already..so i said whatever and plant those suckers (dont' want dirt to be a male, so i want to increase my chances..plus i want to try and catch them up if they do grow, so they can flower together)..put in 'em some some tupperware things and into the soil..i'm thinking, maybe the nutrients from the soil will hurry them up out of the seed..might dig 'em up in a couple of days to see if they really did sprout, if not, i'll throw 'em out..but now i got four on the way (hopefully) and dirt..she just keeps on growing..all of 'em are about 3" inches away from the light..need to go buy a small desk or clip on fan so i can get some ventilation happening..it's not hot in there and the room the closet is in has a ceiling fan which is turned on all the time so air is circulating..but i've read that the circulation allows the stems to become more firmer so the plant will be able to support itself..we'll see what happens..

oh yeah, if you get a chance read "mikeys" grow journal...that poor kid..was funny though..his plants just looked awful..but he was determined..'til the ferret..lol..but good try anyways mikey, we all can learn from your grow experience..hope your next grow was righteous..

got the cam phone and took some pics of dirt..she's a week old..or maybe 6 days..i can't remember..but here she is..what do you guys think?

dirt1.jpg

dirt2.jpg

whats up chong420. your baby is looking good so far. keep up the good work and be sure to keep us updated on your progress.

Kickass Chong420. That is the nicest looking "dirt" I ever seen. You'll get a kick out of it if its a female and tell your freinds. "All I got is some dirt weed" that gets em high as hell. :D

need to go buy a small desk or clip on fan so i can get some ventilation happening..it's not hot in there and the room the closet is in has a ceiling fan which is turned on all the time so air is circulating..but i've read that the circulation allows the stems to become more firmer so the plant will be able to support itself..

"Absolutely"..get a fan blowing across the plants just enough to constantly give the leaves a "shudder". It greatrly improves stem strength. You'll never have one grow tall 'n stringy and fall over.

there easy to sprout in soil and keep them alive for the first 2 weeks ,but after that you have to treat them with special care,or they willl grow slow,or maybe die

Also, make sure the container you have them in can drain. If you keep watering the soil, even if the top is dry, the bottom is probably soaking wet and if your roots sit in that, they will rot. If your "tupperware" doesn't have any holes, drill some in the bottom of the to compensate. one in the middle of the bottom and 3 or 4 other ones should do fine.(Of course, you need to plan on transplanting it sometime soon, lets say, within the next 4 weeks. After that, the root system will probably be too large and require a larger pot.)

thanks guys..yeah, i went ahead and "destroyed" the rest of the family...lol..i dug 'em up and saw nothing..but then again, i did do it yesterday..so i threw 'em out..then i took the seedling wannabe's that never want to sprout and threw 'em in the garbage..stupid seedlings..so now it's back to one..that's alright..yeah, i'll probably end up going to wally world later to get some stuff, i.e. bigger pot, to grow bigger pot..lol..get it? bigger pot to grow bigger pot?! i kill me..anyways, that and a fan..man i hope it's a female..i read somewhere, that if you plant your seed in at least 4" of soil, it's a female everytime..anyone hear of this? oh and check this out..i heard that for the summer the electricity bills are gonna go up like 72%..***!!..damn corporate greed..first the gas goes up like by double (almost 300 bucks a month) and now this? for crying out loud man!! i can't believe this..if it aint one thing its another..

and yes mutt, i do remember the analogy of squishing a pregnant woman's belly..but damn those seedlings!! they just kept teasing me..so i like to think that they were unable to grow anyways..(plus that keeps me from feeling guilty..stupid bag seedlings)

Damn, I hope she turns out to be a girl for ya. Bagseed is such a pain in the ass.

i got bored and decided to put one of the "supposed" red spectrum bulbs in with the other one..so now one is a plant/aquarium bulb and the other a bath and kitchen bulb? ***? lol..maybe this will have some crazy side effect and it'll start "rapid" growth..i'm thinking of throwing in some birth control pills in the soil..anyone ever try that? i read it somewhere..don't know where though..grow guide? i dunno..

latest pic..gonna go to wally world to get that pot and fan..

inch.jpg

thanks mutt..means a lot to me coming from a "seasoned professional" as yourself..alright went to wally world and picked up another fluoro..this one is burning at 26watts/ 1700 lumens..making it a grand total of..(drumroll) 51K lumens! righteous..hopefully she'll start growing faster..(i hope)..plus i remembered to buy a fan for the room..so BAM..spending a grand total of 62 bucks and some change..another righteous!

newgro.jpg

Latest posts

Back