The Airlift Micro-Organism Tea Brewing Bio-reactor Vortex System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serch

Reaction score
This year I've decided to get my feet and the garden roots wet with those yummy Compost Teas and variations of Worm Casting Teas, etc etc...but I'll require more than 10 gallons....so the Winter has my brain churning again...
Compost tea is one of the best things you can feed your plants and soil (YES FEED YOUR SOIL). It's alive with microbial life.. Last year I had to use two 5 gallon buckets almost constantly to feed my veggies and plants...and I still needed more. Not to mention the constant mess.

The Airlift Micro-Organism Tea Brewing Bio-reactor Vortex System
Crazy name for what I'm doing....I love it, so stick around and watch the build.
Yes folks this sure isn't your 5 gallon tea bubbler; yet it still can be....
Try looking up a price on these creations. Then the idea came...I could build this D.I.Y. style, this is something I like trying time and time again; especially in the garden. I think the only thing I won't try D.I.Y. is the electronics.

Well the story goes like this....Based on airlift systems, plus the NorCal Vortex along with the Vortex Brewer. All systems available at Youtube University. I figured I could build this unit after reading and putting together a parts list to create my own Airlift MicroOrganism Organic Tea Brewing Bioreactor Vortex System.

Can you say D.I.Y. project....indeed !!! :p:D

Attachments

• 35 gallons Compost tea.jpg
    35 gallons Compost tea.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 88
  • compost tea2.jpg
    compost tea2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 95
  • compost tea4.jpg
    compost tea4.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Compost tea5.jpg
    Compost tea5.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 89
...so imaging the joy I felt when the 35 Gallon tank and stand were waiting on me when I got home one day
Like I said; I needed more than 10 gallons at a time. Paying 3 grand was out of the question.....so, Hello Amazon...
Yes 2 day shipping please

Attachments

• Brew0.jpg
    Brew0.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Brew1.jpg
    Brew1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Brew2.jpg
    Brew2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Brew3.jpg
    Brew3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 58
Take it from the top....top1.jpg top4.jpg Use the correct size bit or you'll be fitting the 2inch bulkhead differently. I used a 3 1/8 circle bit for the top hole. Once the proper size hole is drilled. Insert and connect your bulkhead securely. I tried to purchase a rubber grommet but finally ended up purchasing a rubber sheet to create a gasket. I'm not a plumber so I still get the slightest ooze of bubbles if the tank is full at the bulkhead. Insert your PVC into the bulkhead. Just so you expert builders know; yes I did use PVC gunky softener and glue and I DO NOT claim to be any type of trained craftsman.

Attachments

• top3.jpg
    top3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 55
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 61
  • top5.jpg
    top5.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 57
Once the top is complete with the outer side of the bulkhead we have to go inside of the tank....
I changed most of the inner side to the bulkhead assembly (the pics will show you why)
It was well put together and tested to only find out I could've fitted the inside of the bulkhead with a 90* elbow with threads instead of a fitting + added coupler + 90* elbow. This was an extra 6 inches extending downward and then 90* angle....(this was later changed to a simple 90*elbow)

Attachments

• side3.jpg
    side3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 47
  • side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 42
  • side6.jpg
    side6.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 46
  • side5.jpg
    side5.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 48
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 46
Nice Job
Can I ask what you paid for te inductor Tank and stand?
And where is the airpump line coming in?

Is the tank 30 gals or 35gals?
Thank You

Then comes the outside top section, we'll call it the tank return assembly (whoaaa patent coming)
Needs at this point made me think from experience. again,....I'm not a plumber, welder or any type of builder but I'll try, knowing being off in measurement by a touch will throw you off a mile, I had to think of a way for the section to be slightly giving. So I say that to show; if the section area was built with solid PVC and that being rigid, all of the connections probably would be screwed...:(
So...struggling thru connecting PVC to a newbie..:confused:
2x more 90* elbows
2x more couplers cut (to fit into the rubber couplers)
2x rubber couplers

Imagine this guy in Home Depot with a list of needed connectors and PVC glue. Trying to piece it together on the floor and customers are walking by saying "Big job coming up huh ?" :rolleyes: not at all, BUT...if you only knew.

So I get the section assembled and clamped on. You know that first time you harvested and felt proud. Proud is the word....because this section is going to be the re-entry of the airlifted water AND it may not seem like it, but progress is therapy.....puff puff pass...

Attachments

• elbow1.jpg
    elbow1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 56
  • elbow3.jpg
    elbow3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 47
  • elbow4.jpg
    elbow4.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 39
  • elbow2.jpg
    elbow2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 42
Nice Job
Can I ask what you paid for te inductor Tank and stand?
And where is the airpump line coming in?

Is the tank 30 gals or 35gals?
Thank You

Thank you Stiggy....
Inductor 30 gallon tank...$99 from Ace Roto Mold
Inductor stand was approx. $70 or $75
It's a 30 gallon unit that I usually add almost 5 more gallons to top off when I'm prepared to use the teas. When I top it off here comes the oozing bubbles and edge of overflow. Also the elbow inside of the unit is underwater then causing massive bubbling even with the water in circulation....but it works;)

Thank you Stiggy....
Inductor 30 gallon tank...$99 from Ace Roto Mold
Inductor stand was approx. $70 or $75
It's a 30 gallon unit that I usually add almost 5 more gallons to top off when I'm prepared to use the teas. When I top it off here comes the oozing bubbles and edge of overflow. Also the elbow inside of the unit is underwater then causing massive bubbling even with the water in circulation....but it works;)
So the tank creates it own bubbler

At the bottom of the tank, it has huge threads. I'll use a 90 degree turn, which is created with 2 rubber couplers and a 2 inch 90 degree elbow. A hose clamp was used to attach the rubber coupler to the tank (along with a lot of pipe tape around the tank's threads to fill gaps along with a small amount of PVC Cement). Another 3 inch section of 2 inch pvc for a coupler and you now have the bottom of the tank's 90 degree angle towards the return and dispensing section.

Attachments

• bottom1.jpg
    bottom1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 32
  • bottom2.jpg
    bottom2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 37
  • bottom3.jpg
    bottom3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 48
I then attached the T section and I also added a 6 inch section of PVC tubing extending towards the air induction and return assembly. (That patent is gonna be chunky) Then I used a bulky 2 inch valve for the dispensing area. (to be rebuilt at a later time)
A Banjo styled valve with a strainer could've been used or just tap into the tank with a spicket. (You may build it how you like) This unit is using a reduction from the 2 inch size tubing. I know this sounds a little confusion but I am confused about why I didn't just spend the $$$...ohhh yeahh D.I.Y.

Attachments

• be1.jpg
    be1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 50
  • be2.jpg
    be2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 45
  • be4.jpg
    be4.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 48
  • be5.jpg
    be5.jpg