The benefits of Kelp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hiya mr.wakenbake.was lookin for info on a good organic compost i could do at home,im living on the coast of ireland so i have an abundance of seaweeds such as kelp at my disposal.ive done a bit searching on the net and it seems there has to be a certain mixture to make up good compost.first(brown)ie dead leaves,twigs,saw dust etc.second(green)ie grass,plants,weeds etc.third(fruit and veg).what i cant find out is whats the right amount of each and if i wash kelp can i add it to my organic compost.any help would be great m8,cheers.
Hello,
I think that you are referring to the Carbon to Nitrogen, or C:N ratio. This ratio is very important because most microorganisms consume 20 parts of Carbon for every 1 part of Nitrogen.
Kelp is a good feed source for compost, but it can clump and create anaerobic pockets within your pile. To avoid this, mix thoroughly with a Carbon rich feedstock (dry leaves, straw, etc.) and turn your pile often.
I hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back