The difference between sticky gooey and too green?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonnieB

Reaction score
This is my first cure using the mason jar technique. I hung the limbs upside-down until the smaller branches snapped but not in-two, but they definitely snapped, some of the larger ones did as well. They've been hanging about 10 days, not crowded on each other in a cool dark closet. Humidity wasn't bad at all. During trim I noticed some of the buds felt not wet or green but not bone dry either. I cut the colas into 2 inch nugs and put them about 75% filled quart jar. I did leave the lids off and stored them in a cool dry cabinet.

Ron
I use the mini Hydrometers they sell on ebay (cheap) , once you get the buds to where you are I place a meter in each jar and monitor the humidity until it is right around 60-62% AND SEAL THE LIDS .
Now a few hrs later I read them again, if they go way up past 62% I open the jars or even spread out buds in open air for another day and back in jars. Start process over again, until it stabilizes at 60-62%
(I do boveda pks 62%) another story.) I then burp the jars daily after closing the lids for a few mins .
after approx 30days the weed will be nicely cured. I go even longer myself .
1606240710205.png

I'm old school on that. I do everything just like Roster said except all by feel. Crispy to spongy and back again until the buds stay crispy but bounce back when squeezing. I like a 30 day cure and I know they are dried just right after leaving the jars closed for about a week and checking....if they are still dry they are good to go.

I have said this before.....I don't like boveda packs. Just my opinion. I think they change the smell and taste. I want my smoke to taste and smell like the strain I grew. Just my stubborn old fashioned way. I am that way in a lot of things. I still do many things like I did in the old days. I don't like the Cancel Culture way of doing things.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Ron
I use the mini Hydrometers they sell on ebay (cheap) , once you get the buds to where you are I place a meter in each jar and monitor the humidity until it is right around 60-62% AND SEAL THE LIDS .
Now a few hrs later I read them again, if they go way up past 62% I open the jars or even spread out buds in open air for another day and back in jars. Start process over again, until it stabilizes at 60-62%
(I do boveda pks 62%) another story.) I then burp the jars daily after closing the lids for a few mins .
after approx 30days the weed will be nicely cured. I go even longer myself .
View attachment 266621
I have 10 of those packs I can use

I'm old school on that. I do everything just like Roster said except all by feel. Crispy to spongy and back again until the buds stay crispy but bounce back when squeezing. I like a 30 day cure and I know they are dried just right after leaving the jars closed for about a week and checking....if they are still dry they are good to go.

I have said this before.....I don't like boveda packs. Just my opinion. I think they change the smell and taste. I want my smoke to taste and smell like the strain I grew. Just my stubborn old fashioned way. I am that way in a lot of things. I still do many things like I did in the old days. I don't like the Cancel Culture way of doing things.

giphy.gif
tenor.gif

giphy.gif
Thats why I didn’t use the packs. The buds were pretty spongy unless I really squeezed them hard. Then they stayed smashed. But gentle pressing they were dry feeling and spongy. Im leaving the lids off until tonight and gonna inspect. When I shake the jar they don't stick together

I have 10 of those packs I can use
Ronnie
I use the pacs for long term storage, I do not try to shorten the cure as some do by adding pac right away.
I add the Boveda after the 30 days if I am not smoking that jar for the next 90 days, (storage cool dry place sealed mason with one B 62% pac.
Do it the slow and low way for 30 days for best flavor.

Oh and the million dollar question
The difference between sticky gooey and too green?
The Gal doing the job was green behind the ears and did not know she was not allowed to spit it out, turned Green after swallowing it.
But heck anything Green, Gooey, and sticky I know most would spit it out.
M oral of the story, never chew your goo

Ronnie
I use the pacs for long term storage, I do not try to shorten the cure as some do by adding pac right away.
I add the Boveda after the 30 days if I am not smoking that jar for the next 90 days, (storage cool dry place sealed mason with one B 62% pac.
Do it the slow and low way for 30 days for best flavor.

Interesting....never thought about that. But, only problem is what I grow doesn't stick around. Turn and burn baby!!!! I smoke a lot.............

Ronnie you are putting wet pot into a jar. Try leaving them is a grocery sack another 24 hours or so. Experiment with it so when you do go to jars it isn't such a hassle burping the jars and leaving the lid off.

Sorry Roster, I still hate those humidity packs....everything tastes the same........just like bubble hash.....at least for me.

Interesting....never thought about that. But, only problem is what I grow doesn't stick around. Turn and burn baby!!!! I smoke a lot.............

Ronnie you are putting wet pot into a jar. Try leaving them is a grocery sack another 24 hours or so. Experiment with it so when you do go to jars it isn't such a hassle burping the jars and leaving the lid off.

Sorry Roster, I still hate those humidity packs....everything tastes the same........just like bubble hash.....at least for me.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Problem Putes

Oh dang , I left the paper bag out, I do this also on weed that needs help drying in real dry air (very low humidity slow the dry) a slow rate with cooler top closed, Paper will absorb any moisture at I cut paper bags down in half, and fill them with approx half way up with loose buds. Then place the bags in a cheap beer cooler with the top slightly open or wide open depending on how close to the final dry. By closing the cooler top you are almost creating the jar atmosphere in the cooler can adjust the dry better if it is wet. The paper will slowly absorb any moisture left in the buds if you leave the cooler top closed also.

If you have a shit load you can stack the bags up inside a Rubbermaid garbage can with good lid for the air seal
1606246121038.png

I went back and inspected and had several buds that were still pretty wet. These are the fattest of the crop. I shook the jars that are only a little over half full and the others didn't stick together when shaking and took a piece for sample. It burned nicely. I put the other stuff in a paper bag to do its thing. Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to giving you guys a good cure report.

I went back and inspected and had several buds that were still pretty wet. These are the fattest of the crop. I shook the jars that are only a little over half full and the others didn't stick together when shaking and took a piece for sample. It burned nicely. I put the other stuff in a paper bag to do its thing. Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to giving you guys a good cure report.
What is your humidity in the jars?

I use cvaults or onyx storage containers and i think it's because they seal so well that i find no need to use the boveda packs that came with the cvaults , some of the packs i have must be 4 years old

What is your humidity in the jars?

I use cvaults or onyx storage containers and i think it's because they seal so well that i find no need to use the boveda packs that came with the cvaults , some of the packs i have must be 4 years old
I dont know what it is inside the jars. The humidity fluctuates here daily from 50s-60s. I inspected the jars and all are fine accept 2. They had the fattest buds and were a little green. I have been drying them since yesterday. I figure another day maybe 2. Im burping the other jars daily keeping them in a cool dry dark place. They're smelling good. No grassy hay smell.

Latest posts

Back