The Great Vape Scare of 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From Celeb Stoner
The Great Vape Scare of 2019
vape.jpg

Steve Bloom
September 7, 2019
Vaporizers didn't exist before 1989. That year a mysterious character named Dr. Lunglife submitted two articles to High Times that were published. They provided diagrams for making your own portable weed vaporizer - the kind with a dome and a hose.

Vaping was alway a weed thing until the tobacco industry got a hold of it. The Volcano vaporizer - the pyramid shaped device that utilizes turkey storage bags to contain the vapor - never was used for tobacco.
th

But when the tobacco industry, shamed by the high death totals from its products, turned to vaping as an alternative to smoking, that's when problems started to happen. Those disgusting devices that emit clouds of vapor are supposed to be safer than smoking. But you're still inhaling its deadly product, nicotine. There is no evidence that e-cigs are safe, just that perhaps they are "safer" than cigarettes. They'll still kill you, but perhaps not as fast or not as many people. That's an improvement I suppose.

Rather than sneak a cig in the bathroom or in some hidden spot around schools, now teens are getting addicted to the popular e-cig known as Juul. Plenty of adults are hooked on these little black sticks too.

The news of five deaths due to vaping either e-cigs or cannabis pens and more than 450 cases is confusing. Authorites don't know what's causing people to die or get sick, just that it's happening after people use these devices.

"This outbreak is akin to bathtub gin under alcohol prohibitions. It's generally a creature of unlicenced markets where consumers have no legal alternative."

Getting sick from an e-cig is not surprising, but from a cannabis-filled vape cartridge? That's scary. It's clear why this has become a problem: Prohibition.

Eleven states have legalized marijuana. Thirty-three states have broad medical marijuana laws. Vape pens are legally manufactured and sold in most of these states. The cannabis oil in the cartridges that's vazporized when connected to a battery and inhaled is generally safe since its required to be tested for toxins, mold and pesticides.

But, still the vast majority of Americans don't have access to these legal, safe products. In the other 39 illegal states, the black markets are thriving. No longer content to smoke joints or take bong hits, consumers want the convenience and discreetness of vape pens. Since they're illegal in most of the of the U.S., bootleg manufacturers have sprung up around the country. These oil cartridges are not tested and are being found to contain diluents and flavorings that can cause lung damage and possible death.

"These unfortunate incidents reinforce the need for greater regulation, standardization and oversight of the cannabis market."

David Downs, whose coverage of this controversy has been top notch, wrote at Leafly on Sept. 6:

"This outbreak is akin to bathtub gin under alcohol prohibitions. It's generally a creature of unlicenced markets where consumers have no legal alternative. It's akin to the recent Spice/K2 poisonings, as well as unregulated CBD poisonings. The first reports came out of the prohibition state of Wisconsin, which has 34 cases, and Kings County, CA, which has banned legal access to tested cannabis, alongside 60% of local cities and counties. California has 49 potential cases. Illinois has 53. New York reports 34 cases. By contrast, Oregon has one suspected death. Colorado has two suspected cases. Washington (State) has none."

I agree with Downs as well as with NORML deputy director Paul Armentano that lack of cannabis regulation nationwide is a cause of this epidemic.

"These unfortunate incidents reinforce the need for greater regulation, standardization and oversight of the cannabis market – principles which NORML has consistently called for in the cannabis space," he stated on Sept. 5. "Consumers must also be aware that not all products are created equal; quality control testing is critical and only exists in the legally regulated marketplace."

So blame some of the vape deaths and lung issues on the U.S. government for failing to end federal cannabis prohibition, which has been going on since 1937. In the meanwhile, if you live in an illegal state, stick with flower. No one has ever died from inhaling that.

https://www.celebstoner.com/blogs/steve-bloom/2019/09/07/great-vape-scare-2019/?ref=2&ref_type=tab

Any time something is illegal, someone is gonna black market it. And any time someone creates a black market, someone is gonna take short cuts.

The problem is not the nicotine or the thc, it's the additives that they put in the vape liquids.
You will never hear of anyone getting the lung and health issues recently reported from vaping real pot or tobacco in a volcano or other similar vaporizer.
They need to make the difference very clear so the ignorant hysteria doesn't take over again.

I am also suspect of the carrier/liquidizer/additives. One report said they are looking at vitamin E acetate that a lot of the carts contained. It is worth noting that in one of the deaths, the person had been using a cartridge purchased from a legal dispensary.

I have been worried about this since they started. I agree with Joe, this isn't the vaping problem, it is the additives as usual. Who would think oil is good in your lungs? THC oil is one thing, but fake vitamin e? I don't know.

I saw that they suspect two deaths in Oregon were related to vaping but noted there is no evidence yet. It is still a mystery as to what is happening with vaping and we are seeing much speculation and no conclusive proof yet. To be safe I would avoid cartridges with vitamin e acetate. On Friday the CDC is advised all to stop vaping anything until this is cleared up. Manufacturers have been using vegetable glycerin or a MCT oil as a filler. I have read that vitamin e acetate is a relatively new filler used by some. I read where some manufacturers use cutting agents.

From benzinga,com
  • Polyethylene glycol (PEG): a cutting agent used in vape liquids to keep the product evenly mixed.
  • Propylene glycol (PG): a binding agent that is added to cannabis vape cartridges because of its ability to foster even vape draws.
  • Vegetable glycerin (VG): Added to vape liquids to help generate large vape clouds for the user.
Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has labeled these cutting agents as safe for human ingestion, questions remain about what happens when these compounds are inhaled.
https://www.benzinga.com/markets/ca...ur-vape-cartridge-is-safe-and-not-counterfeit

I think State health officials should study the fillers and cutting agents used in these cartridges and establish quality standards for the manufacturing of them. We cannot rely on, nor should we rely on the federal government to help us with this. The anti cannabis stance is taken by federal health agencies will prejudice any study or recommendations they make.

I think it is vitamin E acetate like THG and Burnin 1 said !- I have used an e-cig for years -- When I first started I used the Juice with a PG base - Developed a smokers cough that I had never had -- I put it down and went back to cigarettes -- Got talked into trying Juice with a VG base - No problem !--For 4-5 years !- I need to start making my own - I got a gallon of food grade VG !-- Boil/simmer some tobacco in water filter it - reduce it down to a concentrate - Add the concentrate to the VG by drops until the Juice smokes the way U want !

I have a 710 labs WiFi OG cartridge. Most of their cartridges I researched are labeled “Kingpens”. Mine could be older model. Can’t find any info on ingredients and their website shows no oil cartridge products. Wonder if they took them off the market?

• Polyethylene glycol (PEG): a cutting agent used in vape liquids to keep the product evenly mixed.
  • Propylene glycol (PG): a binding agent that is added to cannabis vape cartridges because of its ability to foster even vape draws.
  • Vegetable glycerin (VG): Added to vape liquids to help generate large vape clouds for the user.
Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has labeled these cutting agents as safe for human ingestion, questions remain about what happens when these compounds are inhaled.
This is exactly why we shouldn't be using any commercial vape products. The additives they use in foods, cigarettes and now vape liquids are killing us. Stick to vaping real pot or tobacco.

Latest posts

Back