The harvest and cure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have read all the stickies and just want to get a heads up before I chop. I am on 6 weeks of flower and last week I cut one of the lower branchs which had several smaller buds on it.. Well I basically just threw it in a dark draw in one of my clothes desks ( cant spell beuro. lol ) Well I noticed after 48 hours it smelled moldy. so I discarded it. before it molded it was hashy smelling . from what I have read I take it that when the time is ripe ( trichs) that I want to cut the plants somewhere above the dirt level and then either cut off the branchs with the bud clusters or hang the whole plant. I think I would like to trim the larger leaves before the hang. some say it is easier. Then hang in a dark place like a closet but with no stagnet air so maybe a light fan but not directly on the plants.?. Most of the time my closet in which I am flowering at night with the lights off is a steady 71 degrees with an RH of 40 or so.. I am thinking this would be good to hang the branchs? Then ofcourse after whatever time it takes to dry then go to the paper bag or mason jar. Does this seem to be what everyone does? Thanks ahead of time.. I dont want any moldy buds.. Hero

Smaller plants I hang the whole thing after cutting above the soil line and after removing the fan leaves and any big to medium leaves. Larger plants I remove branches trimming all the fan and larger leaves off and then hang in a dark closet with a small fan blowing in the closet but not on the branches.

Jmo

Sounds good HL thats what I was looking for.. an experienced grower who knows.. The one branch I cut back a week and a half ago was smelling so hashy for lack of a better word. then when I pulled it out of the draw a few days later stunk like a basement.. and since smelling it a few times to see if it changed smells.. I am sick with a sinus cold. lol dont know if it had anything to do with that but strange.. Thanks again.. Hero

hero4u2b said:
Sounds good HL thats what I was looking for.. an experienced grower who knows.. The one branch I cut back a week and a half ago was smelling so hashy for lack of a better word. then when I pulled it out of the draw a few days later stunk like a basement.. and since smelling it a few times to see if it changed smells.. I am sick with a sinus cold. lol dont know if it had anything to do with that but strange.. Thanks again.. Hero

You really want to hang them and not lay them in a draw....sounds like no air movement and your bud rotted or molded. If you are gonna go with laying them down then you really should do it on screens....but I wldn't want my crusty nugz laying on anything. Feels like you wld lose trichs and sugary goodness on the screen. Hanging works well so I hve stuck with it. Just make sure you have some air exchange in the closet. At the least a small fan to stir the air inside. When I hve a huge harvest I use one of my 2x4x5 tents as a "Hang Zone". I exchange the air in the tent as if I was growing.

JMO

Hammy is smell a concern for you.... Do you anything to control odor that way?

burner said:

when at all possible i dry in an empty grow room with carbon filter and exhaust fan, the problem is its not always possible.

burner said:

If it was I wld just run my carbon filter in the tent. I love using the tent. It is the easiest way. Just not always practical if I am only harvesting a plant or two. My drying closet is in the grow room which is in a spare bedroom so odor is not a concern.

I will do as you first recommended HL I trust your knowledge from the pics and grow journels I have seen over the past 6 months. I will use the flowering closet I use and keep the osculating fan as is and there is a seperate exhause fan that pulls the air out of the closet and into my bedroom. I want the buds to smell as they do now on the plant hashy.my only other concern was the temps and RH but I guess at 70-80 degrees F with a RH of 40-50 percent. it will be ok. Thanks everyone.. Hero

Dman and Hammy ...that's what I did last grow...it was in a PC case way smaller scale... I'd love to do it in my new cab after I harvest, but i'll have a clone ready to go in right after. I think I may build something out of a big Rubbermaid container with a small carbon filter attached.

Does anybody remember the old wardrobes that people used to have in their houses many years ago?:) A lot of the old houses didn't used to have closets for hanging clothes, so people built wardrobes that would sit in the bedroom or hall. If yu look around the flea markets, yu can still pick them up fairly cheap. They are perfect for drying and curing closets, and they can be modified to work with air filtration and exaust. I intend to build one here in a couple of weeks. When it is done I will show it here.:cool:

Hushpuppy said:
Does anybody remember the old wardrobes that people used to have in their houses many years ago?:) A lot of the old houses didn't used to have closets for hanging clothes, so people built wardrobes that would sit in the bedroom or hall. If yu look around the flea markets, yu can still pick them up fairly cheap. They are perfect for drying and curing closets, and they can be modified to work with air filtration and exaust. I intend to build one here in a couple of weeks. When it is done I will show it here.:cool:
LIES! Haha. Rooting through old posts looking for information and came upon this. You ever build one?

Latest posts

Back