The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subbie and Roster - Excellent and reasonable suggestion.

Coupla reasons it ain't a "go"...

1. The well pipe is 22-year old PVC alla way down. (this is Floriduh) So if I hung a forty-pound casting with a Tau handle to pump it, I am likely to break the well pipe.

2. Forget the mounting difficulty, just lookit the fargin cost: They are about $150.

3. Without a whole lot more effort and a blue ton less money, I can get sufficient drinking/cooking/washing water easypeasy with a dipping gadget. Water for other stuff is available with a nearby pond and canal, and we store a coupla hunnert gallons in our unused hot tub for emergency potty flushing.

Subbie: We had a green one in the kitchen at the farm. Out back was a red one. We useta take a bucket and fill it half full** take it over to the big wood kitchen stove, and pour it into the container on the side of the stove. That is how we got hot water. I am so fargin old...

**"Half full" --> Pity the stoopit kid that took too much and spilled a bucket of water on the kitchen floor, or slopped it over onto the stove!

We had hot water but did the same thing. Always had a pot of water or food on our wood stove

I used the hand pump in our barn to water the animals. I loved this pumps. What kind of a dipping gadget did you have in mind?
Picture this: You got a PVC well-water pipe sticking up about two feet. I make a removable cap for the top of the pipe.

Now I take a PVC pipe that fits into the well pipe. Then I drill two holes at the other end to attach a rope. A little home made gravity flapper is inside and very near the bottom end of the pipe. As you lower the thinner pipe into your well pipe, the water pressure lifts the little flapper, and the thinner pipe fills with water.

When you get your thinner/inner pipe full, lift up on the rope and take the water-filled thinner/inner pipe out. Pour the contents into your gallon jug(s). Repeat until you have all you want.

Thass a dipping well. No cramps or jolts needed to run motors.

Picture this: You got a PVC well-water pipe sticking up about two feet. I make a removable cap for the top of the pipe.

Now I take a PVC pipe that fits into the well pipe. Then I drill two holes at the other end to attach a rope. A little home made gravity flapper is inside and very near the bottom end of the pipe. As you lower the thinner pipe into your well pipe, the water pressure lifts the little flapper, and the thinner pipe fills with water.
Wow Walt. That’s right up there with the 121 exhale thing. I guess it would take a while to fill up a bucket with maybe at most 1-1/2 PVC pipe no more than 3-4 ft long so you didn’t spill it. May get enough to make a pot of coffee tho.
Ok I’m with ya now on your process now. Thanx for splaining
When you get your thinner/inner pipe full, lift up on the rope and take the water-filled thinner/inner pipe out. Pour the contents into your gallon jug(s). Repeat until you have all you want.

Thass a dipping well. No cramps or jolts needed to run motors.

1675285960820.png

Most of the wells around where I grew up used these: Lehman's Own Galvanized Well Bucket
Yes that looks like what I imagined Walt talking about. So this thing weighs over 4 lbs then add almost 2 gallons of water which it says it holds which would be around 16 lbs. I guess you would need a pulley crank system to lift the 20lb bucket filled. Depending how deep you have to go down to the water, that could be heavy…

Most of the wells around where I grew up used these: Lehman's Own Galvanized Well Bucket
Holy smokes!! Some sumbitch has put a welldipper onna market!! Bright lad. Excellent unit. I would get one fer sure if my existing well pipe was large enuf diameter.

$100 for a bucket onna string seems a tad steep, that wouldn't stop me, though.

That's it however. That is the concept writ large. Spot on. Although mine will be thinner to fit in my existing 2.5" PVC well pipe, and about eight feet long.

Last edited:
So my Beautiful Witch screwed up dinner last night. (*snork*) We had a lot of ice cream and cookies instead. (We never grew up)

I put it outside this moanin' for Fancy Pants and Beau (my resident peacocks for the last 15 years). They turned up their beaks at it. Hadda go out and give them some black oil seeds and peanuts to assuage the affront.

They are the raccoons of the bird world (eat anything). We will see what happens later with Absolute Unit The Raccoon this evening.

If he and the resident possum pass it up, we will have set a record: I accidentally burned popcorn oncet. GAHH, what a stink.

Ab Unit loved burned popcorn. Gobbled them all up. If they and Ab Unit all shun this latest offering...

Latest posts

Back