The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gawd luv yer bones, Subbie,😘 but youse is preachin' to the choir.

I awreddy have a blue 55-gallon made-for-potable-water barrel with a pump on it. You put two tablespoons of bleach in the barrel, then fill it with drinking water.

But that is "minor" emergency, as in just a week or two without power of any kind prep. Hurricane Basic 101 in South Floriduh.

I am talkin' devising a "no fargin power for a long time -- even forever and ever, Amen" prep; a drinking water supply that is inexhaustible and handy to boot.

And my old dings are currently killin' me right now. Herself has slathered me with Voltaren, which is just now (thank you, Jesus) beginning to work. I have completed the project -- with a new Mark/Mod designation because I hadda hand fabricate fabricate a mahogany watertight press-fit plug to fit inside the dipper pipe at its bottom end.

The PVC insert I bought turned out to be an outsert and would not go in the dipper pipe to seal it. OK. Managed to use my grinder to make a watertight, press fit plug. <-- Cool beans, it worked puffeckly.
If you drilled the end cap full of holes and placed a flat round rubber flap on the inside, held in place by a center bolt, the water could easily lift the flap to flood and it would mostly blank the holes when you lifted it out.View attachment 319216
Take a lookit that diagram and I will 'splain why it won't work: Note the cap... it is OUTSIDE the pipe. Therefore, it will NOT fit in the well pipe. The max possible size -- with only 1/8 left between the two pipes is 3" <-- the OD of the dipper pipe. Oh, dear.

Remember: This is a "cannot change the well pipe size" problem.

No problemo. Got the rig all set up with bright yellow rope with a blocking handle so the rope can't get dropped down the well. The rope length for the best setup turns out to be about 15'.

Oh. I used a piece of 1/2" threaded rod tapped into two holes I drilled in the top of the dipper pipe for the rope tie-off. Screwed the rod into the holes until the far side was flush, then hacksawed the extra off the other end so it, too, was flush.

We just ran an emergency scenario:

With her creaky hubsind watching, Herself dropped the dipper pipe down the well pipe, and the dipper pipe sank down slowly until the well water began to enter the (new, additional) 1" holes. Then the dipper pipe began to sink more quickly, and gurgle beautifully.

I had her let it sink as deep as it wanted to. Never reached anywhere near the bottom. After all the gurgly, fillum-up noises stopped, I had her lift up the dipper pipe by hauling in the yellow rope. Up it came, filled to its limit, with her being strong enuf to lift the whole pipe up.

She poured it out into a plastic bucket. Just short of a gallon. Fargin PERFECT. Not too little, and not too heavy.

YAY! My very darling can now acquire as much drinking water as she will ever need with minimal effort. I stored the dipper pipe in the garage on a special rack she can access without any problem.

We will have no problem with complex flaps and leaks and whatever.

Last edited:
Gawd luv yer bones, Subbie,😘 but youse is preachin' to the choir.

I awreddy have a blue 55-gallon made-for-potable-water barrel with a pump on it. You put two tablespoons of bleach in the barrel, then fill it with drinking water.

But that is "minor" emergency, as in just a week or two without power of any kind prep. Hurricane Basic 101 in South Floriduh.

I am talkin' devising a "no fargin power for a long time -- even forever and ever, Amen" prep; a drinking water supply that is inexhaustible and handy to boot.

And my old dings are currently killin' me right now. Herself has slathered me with Voltaren, which is just now (thank you, Jesus) beginning to work. I have completed the project -- with a new Mark/Mod designation because I hadda fabricate a mahogany plug to fit inside the dipper pipe at its bottom end. The PVC insert turned out to be an outsert and would not go in the dipper pipe to seal it. OK. Managed to use my grinder to make a watertight, press fit plug. <-- Cool beans, it worked.

Take a lookit that diagram and I will 'splain why it won't work: Note the cap... it is OUTSIDE the pipe. Therefore, it will NOT fit in the well pipe. The max possible size -- with 1/8 between the two pipes is 3". Oh, dear.

Remember: This is a "cannot change the well pipe size" problem.

No problemo. Got the rig all set up with bright yellow rope with a blocking handle so the rope can't get dropped down the well. The rope length for the best setup turns out to be about 15'.

We just ran an emergency scenario; With her creaky hubsind watching, Herself dropped the dipper pipe down the well pipe, and the dipper pipe sank down slowly until the well water began to enter the (new, additional) 1" holes. Then the dipper pipe began to sink more quickly, and gurgle beautifully.

I had her let it sink as deep as it wanted to. Never reached anywhere near the bottom. After all the gurgly, fillum-up noises stopped, I had her lift up the dipper pipe by hauling in the yellow rope. Up it came, filled to its limit, with her being strong enuf to lift the whole pipe up.

She poured it out into a plastic bucket. Just short of a gallon. Fargin PERFECT. Not too little, and not too heavy.

YAY! My very darling can now acquire as much drinking water as she will ever need with minimal effort. I stored the dipper pipe in the garage on a special rack she can access without any problem.
We will have no problem with complex flaps and leaks and whatever.
You got a silver tongue too you sly fox...

Latest posts

Back