The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ready for a jolt?

Like I demonstrated with my novels, I have absolutely NO ability to sell anything. I never even tried to sell any of my wood turned stuff.

I have perhaps 5% of all the things I have made... gave away the rest. Lotsa lamps, clocks, candlesticks, wooden tops, etc.
The good things sell themselves :)

but, they do have to be out there. Turning the love of a craft into a business can often lead to a decaying of the love. Do things because you enjoy them, sounds like you are ;)

Graywolf im sorry that Portland is run by a moron. Its absolutely ridiculous what he has allowed to happen to such a beautiful city. Ive never been there but my Wife said it was beautiful place when she was there. If he would allow the feds in it would be over very quickly.

He is a moron and looks like he is winning his re-election bid.

And the collection of pony tails it ripped from the dudes heads LOL

Only girls had pony tails in my midwestern town of 2500 in the 60's and none of them took shop.

One more piece of important microwave info:
If your microwave stops working, it is because a plain old fuse inside has popped.

Yup, checked that but not the door microswitch.

mornin folks...gray, my carb is a 3216 carter 4 bbl. if I remember correctly...lottsa carbs around here...

Yeah, that engine came with several different carbs. Carter was always one of my favorites and I was sorry to see them go under. My last was a spread bore "Thermo toilet" on the 440 in my B-300.

I have perhaps 5% of all the things I have made... gave away the rest. Lotsa lamps, clocks, candlesticks, wooden tops, etc.
I gave away everything too and produced all the bowls and lamps that my family could stand my first year in shop. Now that my parents and grandparents are gone, I haven't a clue where any of them are anymore.

I did just get my metal lathe back from my lawsuit and will be setting it back up for making more toys.

Where did you get the wood blanks
I have some nice trees (black Cherry) that have lots of burls, I know they need to age a long time so they are out for me
Wood is fargin everywhere. You don't use pine (it sucks). There are folks who sell disks of wood on the Net. I useta just always keep an eye out for stuff.

If somebody cut branches off a maple tree or something, I'd take any that were wrist-thick or more, and make cups and bowls and toys... when somebody threw out a broken old chair, I could make a half-a-dozen things out of the wood. Candlesticks. Ball-on-a-string-cup toy, yada. Earring holders.

FIREWOOD is a great source for wood-turning. Split or un-split.

The speckly-looking layer on some of the bowls above is spalted maple. It is for sale on the net.

1604493623675.png

Last edited:
Morning....I'm with drifting.....let the madness begin! Hide the women and children in the cellar and keep a close eye out.

I still have a coffee table I made in shop class my Jr year in HS. It is in my living room. Over 50 years old. I loved making lamps and bowls on the lathe ..... table is the only thing left after all the years.

@walt...trimmers get $20/HR here that is why I do it myself.....even if u pay me!!!

Another nice day and I will take advantage.
OK -- You drive a hard bargain. I'll give you $25 an hour to trim for you. 🤷‍♂️ 🥰

Latest posts

Back