The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more and Im out
1629412329938.png

Had Loads of Fun Here Thanks

I was three when Walt got his first tattoo and eleven the first time I got tattooed with a sharp pencil. I gave myself my only other tattoo using a compass and India Ink in mechanical drawing class at age thirteen to be with the in-gang. I thought of having the US constitution tattooed on my penis, but there wasn't room.

Check this out.

1629470203433.png

Engineers with the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in California might have brought us to the threshold of harnessing the internal process of a star to power our world by extracting a record-shattering burst of 10 quadrillion watts of power from a core of hydrogen the size of a BB.

a group of people posing for the camera: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Engineers Standing In Front Of A Nuclear Fusion Reactor
© Provided by TechRadar Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Engineers Standing In Front Of A Nuclear Fusion Reactor
Nuclear fusion is the process of fusing two hydrogen atoms together so that they form a helium atom and, in the process, release an enormous amount of pent up energy. It's the same process that powers our sun and every other main sequence star in the universe and it's something of a Holy Grail for energy research.

It has greater energy potential than nuclear fission – which powers modern nuclear reactors – and since the only byproduct of nuclear fusion is helium, it is the ultimate source of clean energy.

And since only uses a small amount of hydrogen for fuel – hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe – it is essentially an energy source more powerful than modern nuclear power with a limitless supply of fuel and no toxic byproduct. Best of all, nuclear fusion reactions can be self-sustaining, requiring only a spark to get started before the reaction continues unabated until it runs out of fuel.

It's this last critical element of nuclear fusion reactors that the LLNL engineers at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) say is now within reach. According to a statement announcing the results, "the experiment was enabled by focusing laser light from NIF — the size of three football fields — onto a target the size of a BB that produces a hot-spot the diameter of a human hair, generating more than 10 quadrillion watts of fusion power for 100 trillionths of a second."

While that might not sound like a very long time, it doesn't need to be. You only need to achieve a threshold for fusion ignition for the self-sustaining process of fusion to begin and run on its own, providing an unprecedented source of artificial power.

This isn't the first time LLNL scientists produced a fusion reaction, but this experiment produced eight times as much energy release as the previous record-setting experiment earlier this year and a 25 times increase over its 2018 record.

Analysis: Will human-controlled nuclear fusion be a reality in less than a decade?
Scientists have been dreaming about nuclear fusion for so long and without much success that it's natural to be skeptical of the LLNL's report, which has not been peer reviewed yet. Their findings would have to be duplicated and confirmed before we can really let ourselves get overly excited, but as LiveScience notes, even critics of the LLNL research are surprised and even encouraged by the results.

The LLNL team produced an energy equivalent in that 100 trillionths of a second as 10% of the energy in all the sunlight hitting the Earth at any given moment. The amount of energy required to trigger the reaction in the hydrogen pellet was immense, but the pellet absorbed about 70% of it.

This puts researchers within striking distance of fusion ignition, where the that same pellet releases more than 100% of the energy it absorbs and continues to fuse hydrogen and releasing its energy even after the energy supplying laser is taken away.

Given the speed with which this approach is advancing, it's not unthinkable that this 100% fusion ignition threshold can be crossed before the decade is out. If that happens, some might consider it the most monumental discovery in human history.

OK, it's time to tell on my stupid self. Monday, the beers hit a little harder than usual. I always drink the same amount, but get different effects on occasion.
Anyhoo, I drink my fill and head out the door amid see ya's and good natured insults. Old Hen is in front of me on the way to the Jeep. She heads for her side, and I push the button to unlock it. My door doesn't open. Push the button again. Nada. Push it a couple of times; same results. I give up and use the key, only the key won't go into the lock. I look in the Jeep expecting to see the wife, but my eyes focus through both windows to another black Jeep with the wife sitting in it, laughing hysterically at her dumb assed husband trying to get into the bartender's black Jeep Gladiator instead of his Jeep JKU.
Oops.

OK, it's time to tell on my stupid self. Monday, the beers hit a little harder than usual. I always drink the same amount, but get different effects on occasion.
Anyhoo, I drink my fill and head out the door amid see ya's and good natured insults. Old Hen is in front of me on the way to the Jeep. She heads for her side, and I push the button to unlock it. My door doesn't open. Push the button again. Nada. Push it a couple of times; same results. I give up and use the key, only the key won't go into the lock. I look in the Jeep expecting to see the wife, but my eyes focus through both windows to another black Jeep with the wife sitting in it, laughing hysterically at her dumb assed husband trying to get into the bartender's black Jeep Gladiator instead of his Jeep JKU.
Oops.
Reminds me of the time my wife stole someone's car accidentally.
She took her car to lunch and to do some shopping during work break, she parked in a space and off to shop.
When she returned and opened the door using key she thought nothing of the wooden beads seat covers her car now had, The key started the car and off she drove. As she looked around she realized it was not her car and she was already out of lot.(car was identical model as hers, she called me to she what should I do.
I told her take the darn thing back and if no one has started a crime scene LOL
Park it and see if your car is still there,
Yep her car was one row over , None the wiser .

Late check in. Usual walk and now cutting down a Strawberry OG.

@ Hippie, at least you had a good time. Nothing like a good beer Buzz.

Cool day again.

Taking a break and watching Fox news....geez.....going back down in the basement and finish cutting, hanging and listening to Outlaw Country.....

Oops.
In the 80's I owned a 260Z, green. I went to an area mall, did my shopping and left. In the parking lot I unlocked my 260Z and started it.Then I notice the bull puu in this car was not the bull puu in MY car....yup my key unlocked and started someone else's car! I also had a 72 Plymouth at the time, and it's key would also start that car....and presumably the other gent's Z as well.

Bubba

In the 80's I owned a 260Z, green. I went to an area mall, did my shopping and left. In the parking lot I unlocked my 260Z and started it.Then I notice the bull puu in this car was not the bull puu in MY car....yup my key unlocked and started someone else's car! I also had a 72 Plymouth at the time, and it's key would also start that car....and presumably the other gent's Z as well.

Bubba
I had a Ford van that started my buddys ford and viavisa
They only made so many key codes

Bubba
I did the same thing when I was younger. I'd bought a half ton Scottsdale pickup for my work truck. Went to K Mart to grab something. Came out, went to my truck, unlocked the door, climbed in, and put the ignition key in, but it wouldn't work. Shit. Looked around and thought that "this is way too clean to be MY truck", so I eyeballed the lot and saw the identical truck to mine (two tone blue and gray) two rows over.
Locked the guy's truck back up, went over to mine, unlocked the door, and this time the ignition key worked.
I talked to a dealer friend of mine, and he told me that Chevy only made about ten different door keys for that year. Beings as how the truck was made right here in Genesee County, my key would probably fit a dozen of 'em in the lot.

Latest posts

Back