The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been covered by bees,,then red wasp, and then black wasp in my life and it hurt like a mother fker. Everyone of those times were from brush hogging propeties.
Sad thing is on that it takes a few to get the god damn tractor stopped and jump the fk off and run. Although most the time the running was to damn late.
But i was young and making money and didnt mind taking the chances.
Man someone else that knows about black wasp, mean buggers just like the reds. Ground hornets some call yellow jackets. The ones we call yellow jackets in texas build a paper nest like the black and red wasp. Then we had ginnie (spelling may be gennie) wasp, nest about 6" round covered by about 100 wasp that are fast and mean. I like the honey wasp, real good honey but you got to be tough to get it.

Yeah the nasty fkers like to build nest in bushes in the fields. When your brush hogging you dont see them until they are kicking your ass. !st time it happened my cousin was driving and i was setting up over the wheel well. We ran into a huge nest of red wasp. They tore our ass up before we could get off the tractor.
They bit me all over my head and body. I looked like i had MONKEY POXS. 😁

Taking a break from yard maintenance. Fargin weeds. They are gonna get sprayed and DIE today. My eyes are stinging from sweat in them. Cooler day but the humidity is up. Nothing like it is for most of ya. But I am used to it being 20% or less in the middle of the day here.

We have Yellow Jackets here. I have those yellow traps set up around the house. They do a pretty good job of controlling them. I was hosing down the deck a couple of years ago and two of them came after me. One stung me 3 times.....the other on only got me once before i cleared out. Looked under the deck and there was a huge paper nest.....I waited until dusk when the all came home for the night and sprayed with wasp killer....I GOT STUNG BUT THEY ALL DIED. Basturds.

I need to finish mowing and spray for weeds.

That's a wrap. Done for the day. No I didn't pour 200 yards of concrete or put up a couple of roofs like Big does every day but I did get done what I set out to do today. Gonna cool down, take a jacuzzi and have a beer and a smoke.

2LMNZRVIWMFKSLEQG6GUKJBYY4.gif

When in Rome..................... Can an old dog who has so much fun with language, including Cantonese learn a new one? Maybe research and author another book on the subject.

Imagine the prestige, glory, and bragging rights from a block buster entitled, "Yer Ole Unca Walt's Avuncular Guide to Weedspeak". It would give you the opportunity to throw in a few cool words of your own, so that they get locked into weed speaks historical vernacular.

Cantonese... is so far beyond me as to be impossible to conceive. Depending on how you define "tone" there are either NINE or "only" SEVEN tones required to communicate. You literally must sing to speak the language. TINS

Mandarin "only" has four. BUT!!!!! Within that four, you can really get hosed up if you are a Big Nose. Example: the sound "ma"... Depending on whether you say it with a descending note, a rising note, a single pitch, with a catch in your voice... That's FOUR, right?

The four definitions for "ma" are: Mother, [the act of] Cursing, Horse, or on the end makes the previous statement a question.

So: "Ni ma ma ma ma?" = "Does your (Ni) mother (ma) swear (ma) at a horse (ma) question mark (ma)

Cantonese is sung. You must sing it. Jeez. I do not know a single word or phrase in Cantonese. Zerio.

I can speak French: "oui" <-- That means "us"
Spanish: "si" <-- That's a big body of water
Japanese: "Sumomo mo momo, momo mo momo, sumomo mo momo mo momo no uchi" <-- "A Japanese plum is a peach, a peach is also a peach, both Japanese plums and peaches are a kind of peach."

Just try to say that one fast...

Last edited:
Morning Old Farts Club. Enjoying my coffee and smoke waiting for the sun to raise.

Hear, hear! A worthy endeavor at our ages and station in life in retirement.

Morning you old wind breakers.

Good morning! How politically correct of you sir.

Cantonese... is so far beyond me as to be impossible to conceive. Depending on how you define "tone" there are either NINE or "only" SEVEN tones required to communicate.

Mandarin "only" has four. BUT!!!!! Within that four, you can really get hosed up if you are a Big Nose. Example: the sound "ma"... Depending on whether you say it with a descending note, a rising note, a single pitch, with a catch in your voice... That's FOUR, right?

The four definitions for "ma" are: Mother, [the act of] Cursing, Horse, or on the end makes the previous statement a question.

So: "Ni ma ma ma ma?" = "Does your (Ni) mother (ma) swear (ma) at a horse (ma) question mark (ma)

Cantonese is sung. You must sing it. Jeez. I do not know a single word or phrase in Cantonese. Zerio.

I can speak French: "oui" <-- That means "us"
Spanish: "si" <-- That's a big body of water
Japanese: "Sumomo mo momo, momo mo momo, sumomo mo momo mo momo no uchi" <-- "A Japanese plum is a peach, a peach is also a peach, both Japanese plums and peaches are a kind of peach."

Just try to say that one fast...

My Japanese is better than my Cantonese, in that I actually made a point to learn some when traveling there visiting my sensei and on business. Sad to say that in the 44 years since doing so, I can't remember squat, but still have two Japanese dictionaries, as well as one on Essential Kanji. When there on business, I hired a (pretty) professional translator for all of the business transactions.

I did purchase Janey Chen's A Practical English-Chinese Pronouncing Dictionary (Mandarin and Cantonese) when I was doing business in China and thought I might be visiting. Not for the business part, but for just general navigating.

Now ya got me started on Mandarin... Us GI's could speak Mandarin and the native Chinese could not understand us even as they stood there listening. It was called "Temple Street Mandarin".

A couple of examples from 62 years ago: In Mandarin, the word for "friend" is "pengyou" (pronounced "pung-yo") The word for ship/boat is "chwan".

So if we said, "pengyou chwan" it meant nothing to a Chinese person. But we put the words together and get "friendship" <-- see? "Friend boat?? Wozzat?"

There is no word for yes or no in Mandarin. Nor for man or woman. But there is a way to say a negative: "bu" (boo). So "hau" (how) being "good", then buhau = bad. Dung (doong) means "understand".

Now we get deeper into this rare language known only to weirdos:

I'll just cut to the chase and record a statement in TSMandarin: "A big stone falls in a well."

This one could be solved by Master Po and his ilk, but I gotta pass the concept along:

What sound does a large stone falling into a well make? Bu-dung. <-- So you are telling the other person you do not understand. The sound is onomatopoeia like buzz or meow or boom... the meaning is like the sound.

My Japanese is better than my Cantonese, in that I actually made a point to learn some when traveling there visiting my sensei and on business. Sad to say that in the 44 years since doing so, I can't remember squat, but still have two Japanese dictionaries, as well as one on Essential Kanji. When there on business, I hired a (pretty) professional translator for all of the business transactions.
I speak American English, The Queen's English, 'billy, ebonix, and drunk.
I know enough Polish, Spanish, and Italian to get beat up at the UN. Pretty much swear words and phrases only.

Now ya got me started on Mandarin... Us GI's could speak Mandarin and the native Chinese could not understand us even as they stood there listening. It was called "Temple Street Mandarin".

A couple of examples from 62 years ago: In Mandarin, the word for "friend" is "pengyou" (pronounced "pung-yo") The word for ship/boat is "chwan".

So if we said, "pengyou chwan" it meant nothing to a Chinese person. But we put the words together and get "friendship" <-- see? "Friend boat?? Wozzat?"

There is no word for yes or no in Mandarin. Nor for man or woman. But there is a way to say a negative: "bu" (boo). So "hau" (how) being "good", then buhau = bad. Dung (doong) means "understand".

Now we get deeper into this rare language known only to weirdos:

I'll just cut to the chase and record a statement in TSMandarin: "A big stone falls in a well."

This one could be solved by Master Po and his ilk, but I gotta pass the concept along:

What sound does a large stone falling into a well make? Bu-dung. <-- So you are telling the other person you do not understand. The sound is onomatopoeia like buzz or meow or boom... the meaning is like the sound.

My English/Chinese dictionary has pengyou and chwan, as well as hechi for friendly, but nothing for friendship in Mandarin. No word for friend or friendship in Cantonese shown at all.

What I found doing business with them is that they are friendly to work with but continue to probe the limits and always want to make up any quality discrepancies on the next order.

Interestingly in Japanese there is no Ellis, so the Kanji name on the back of my kendo and Aikido hakama said Alice.

I speak American English, The Queen's English, 'billy, ebonix, and drunk. I know enough Polish, Spanish, and Italian to get beat up at the UN. Pretty much swear words and phrases only.

I mostly speak American English with an mild Okie Farm-boy acKCeent, sprinkled with some Ridge-runnah, drunk, and ferrin terms I picked up along the way. My second wife was Japanese, so Japanese curse words were the first thing that I learned in that language as well.

I picked up some Japanese, Spanish, French, and German doing business in those countries to be polite, but used a professional translator for business and interestingly the Japanese, Mexican, French, and German business folks all spoke good English. Since I haven't used them since, I have retained virtually none, though might get some right on multiple choice.

What I also note is that despite my profession of convincing folks to sign capital project budgets using the written word and having a high percentile comprehension of the English language as a result at one time, I am losing that too through non use.

Compounding the problem is that most of the people I talk to on a daily basis, including myself can hear for s*it, so I can't wax eloquently anyway and actually communicate.

I’ve only eaten cumquats to impress friends pretending that they were great. It’s like a tiny orange that you eat peeling and all. They are much better in preserves on toast.

I've found Cumquats make delicious jam, but that they are highly over rated eating like popcorn or grapes.

Latest posts

Back