The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning peoples. It appears I’ve got an Internet connection for the first time since the storm started to rattle it saber. Got all the shutters down and spent all of yesterday at my buddies mom‘s house taking down trees and processing the wood. Now it’s my house that needs the work And I’m too torn up to do it. I wrenched my knee climbing out of the loader bucket while I was up in the air and I’m going to take it easy and just watch the carnage today. Young Ivan is doing quite well and Dutch is showing the patience of a saint

elon musk says he was abit worried about twit bots, .. he wants you to believe .. but you need to see his 'bots that he just introduced to the wuorld. ... can u say terminator

Fd89476UcAESyNN.jpg

Lucky ! Where I live if you have a burn barrel, they call in swat ....
Funny, my neighbor was burning too. The daughter came over and asked if that’s what country people do? Most folks around here put their yard waste in clear plastic bags and stack all the limbs in 4’ sections along their yard on he street. It stays there until the refuge people pick it up which could be a week or more sometimes during a storm like this. I turns the grass yellow where the bags lay. It only takes the afternoon to burn it in my mini barrel and I enjoy it. Even catch a buzz while I’m doing it Country people?

We burned too in the country and the small town that I grew up in, but locally everything gets turned into bark dust or composted due to greater fire hazard and air quality issues in a city.

I have a small chipper and have rented larger ones when trimming trees. Now we just hire the trees done and they chip them up and haul them away.

I’m still learning my city manners after moving here two years ago. I usually rake some of the pine that has fallen in the street for my flowerbeds as I love the look and see so much of it on my walk and bike ride. The fresh pine is free and looks a lot better than the pine you buy in bales. Turns out, some folks get mad when they see me raking the street as I’m guessing they had plans for the street hay as well. I only Take the hay on the street, not their yards. Now I go behind this funeral home near my house and rake it from the city property full of pine trees where nobody can see me. So I ask, is taking pine from the street in front of one’s house stealing? My first year here an old guy came out of his yard and said “that’s my damn pine straw”. I relinquish all I had collected from the street that morning to his flowerbed and sent an apology note. Two weeks later, he came to my door with two bags of straw and apologized himself. Although I was glad to have made up with that guy, I wonder if it’s not appropriate to rake the pine from the streets. It is usually just left there to rot. Thoughts? I live in an old established neighborhood from the early 60s with every kind of tree imaginable.

What the fk. I'd be kicking someone's ass for giving me shit about raking pine out of the street in front of my house. What a crock of shit. Fking assholes.
He would be going home with an ass full of pine straw.
By the way,,isn't pine straw acidic? I've never seen anything grow worth a crap under pine straw in east Texas.

I’m still learning my city manners after moving here two years ago. I usually rake some of the pine that has fallen in the street for my flowerbeds as I love the look and see so much of it on my walk and bike ride. The fresh pine is free and looks a lot better than the pine you buy in bales. Turns out, some folks get mad when they see me raking the street as I’m guessing they had plans for the street hay as well. I only Take the hay on the street, not their yards. Now I go behind this funeral home near my house and rake it from the city property full of pine trees where nobody can see me. So I ask, is taking pine from the street in front of one’s house stealing? My first year here an old guy came out of his yard and said “that’s my damn pine straw”. I relinquish all I had collected from the street that morning to his flowerbed and sent an apology note. Two weeks later, he came to my door with two bags of straw and apologized himself. Although I was glad to have made up with that guy, I wonder if it’s not appropriate to rake the pine from the streets. It is usually just left there to rot. Thoughts? I live in an old established neighborhood from the early 60s with every kind of tree imaginable.
The city has leaf days during the fall here, where no one can park on the street, but you can pile all your leaves in the street near the curb, and the city comes through with machinery and removes them for composting.

The rest of the year, the homeowners who care, put them in the green compost carts provided and the garbage service picks it up weekly. If no one cares, they stay in the street getting pulped by rain and traffic until the next city streetsweeper comes through.

I don't know anyone here using pine needles for mulch. We have some pine here in the valley, but are predominately fir, spruce, cedar and hemlock. The pines predominate in our mountains, where we are only about 100 feet above sea level.

We typically put wood chips in our gardens for mulch and weed control.

Latest posts

Back