The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine said get up early enough to milk the cow and feed the stock before breakfast and school.
I had to milk our cow every other week before school and on the weekends for about a year as a kid. My brother and I would trade off I sometimes traded his cow milking for other chores as I got up early and didn’t mind it so much as he hated to do it.

I had to milk our cow every other week before school and on the weekends for about a year as a kid. My brother and I would trade off I sometimes traded his cow milking for other chores as I got up early and didn’t mind it so much as he hated to do it.
Edit I think we got rid of the milk cow because we had so much milk products momma didn’t know what to do with it all. I was kinda glad to see her go and the milk man start coming around…

I milked a Jersey twice a day and we had all the butter, ice cream, and milk that we could use, plus we gave some to the Hampshire pig.

I husbanded the cows, horses, jackass, and pigs, while my younger sisters fed the chickens and gathered the eggs. I didn't love or hate it. It was just what I did at the time.

I like animals a lot, but what I really grew to hate, was hoeing about 3 acres of veggies, especially in the hot sun.

we had cattle, but they were not for milking. dad did have a white face/rust red bull i bet he wasn't 4 foot tall but wide as a truck i could lay my arm straight across his shoulders. he also had a brangus and a full brahma bulls at the same time, them two fought all over the ranch, but they couldn't handle the white face. the brangus and the brahma where a lot taller and all came in around 1800 lbs each, the white face was very gentle, not so much with the other two. when dad passed he had started adding some long horns, they were in a drought and they are more hardy, and pretty big too. of course the others were gone by then.

father inlaw had these two bulls, the older bull went a little over 1900 lbs, he had a wood loading chute, the young bull ended up in the chute with the older one who didn't want to load into the trailer. the younger bull was somewhere between 1200 to 1400 lbs. anyway the older bull got under the younger one and through him out of the chute then tore it down. i had to build a steel chute to load his mean self. when we got the older one gone the younger one filled out. very gentle and around 2200 lbs when we had to move him out for the next line.

We raised a bull every year for the freezer and a hog too but they were always cute and a petlike almost before grandadday took it away and brought it back in packages. We killed the hog ourselves and it was all day work and then some. We used every part. I didn’t like every part but did like the skin after we cooked the lard out of it. I didn’t like hoeing or weeding or shelling beans but did a lot of that too. I’m glad now I learned all that. My daddy grew a great garden with supersized tomatoes.

Just remembering that he let me plant weed next to those tomatoes one year. He asked me to chop them when they started getting bigger than the tomato plants. I chopped them down and dried them in my coat closet and smoked the heck out of it. I didn’t know what I was doing and it was not in flower yet 🤣

Just remembering that he let me plant weed next to those tomatoes one year. He asked me to chop them when they started getting bigger than the tomato plants. I chopped them down and dried them in my coat closet and smoked the heck out of it. I didn’t know what I was doing and it was not in flower yet 🤣
Better then tobacco.😁

Latest posts

Back