The Original Old Farts Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evening folks.
Fire burning in the fireplace. The boy is screaming. Wife is yelling. Life is good lol

Found out my friend that lost his job is moving to another branch in the company. I hate it cuz he is a great guy. Marine Corp, corn fed country boy. And he was teaching me to fly.

Not only losing his friendship, I’ll have to pay about 13k to finish my pilots license now since he is moving.
Ups and downs. Such is life
It'll be worth it; three things tie for the deepest enjoyment of life: Sex, Scuba, Flying. I recommend strongly that you go all the way to IFR. It ain't hard.

Now I gotta rub it in: As part of an early retirement package, my company offered to pay for any course that had a certificate of completion. I learned to fly. 🛩️ Fer free.

If i was a pilot and I flew to Mass .for a 2 hour flight can you stay for 2 days and fly back?
The short answer is "no". At least to my experience. You are charged by Hobbs time (clock that runs when the motor does). So while the plane is in use, you are paying.

But the rental owner of the plane doesn't get a fargin dime if the plane ain't moving... and he is still paying for his whole setup. So what they do is "schedule" you when you come in to rent a plane.

As in: "Where ya goin'?" You tell him and he'll just say something like, "You are due back at 1PM then, OK?" <-- That way he can know he will have a plane ready for another customer after 1 PM.

It is a courtesy thing both ways.

It'll be worth it; three things tie for the deepest enjoyment of life: Sex, Scuba, Flying. I recommend strongly that you go all the way to IFR. It ain't hard.

Now I gotta rub it in: As part of an early retirement package, my company offered to pay for any course that had a certificate of completion. I learned to fly. 🛩️ Fer free.
Wow that was a great opportunity you had. Definitely going IFR. After taking a ride in a Decathlon with a betterment airshow pilot I really want to take aerobatic courses later on. I would say that experience rates at the most fun thing I’ve ever done. Took four days to come down from the rush.

Wow that was a great opportunity you had. Definitely going IFR. After taking a ride in a Decathlon with a betterment airshow pilot I really want to take aerobatic courses later on. I would say that experience rates at the most fun thing I’ve ever done. Took four days to come down from the rush.
Down here in South Floriduh, you are two minutes from the Swamp. It was great fun to see an airboat zooming along... dive down from behind practicing your strafing... then when you get really low, level out behind the airboat.

They never hear you coming. ZOOOM right overhead. Fun.

Just thought of sumpin'... I have won a coupla bets from passengers in a Spam Can (152). In the right conditions (not very difficult conditions, just a nice wind) I can fly a Spam Can backwards with a passenger.

You can go "slow flight" then get your rudder pegged, and do a prop hang. <-- Not hard to do at all after some practice. The 152 will actually travel backwards -- because of the breeze -- while hanging on the prop.

Last edited:
One for Walt
What are they?
1675866362341.png

Latest posts

Back