The "Oscar" System

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halftoke

Reaction score
Okay, this is in no way as convenient as a cabinet system, but if yer scrapped for cash (like yours truely) this might work for you;

1. a 49 gal. rubbermaid trash can with lid
  2. an old CPU fan
  3. an even older 12V A/C adapter
  4. a power drill & 1/2" bit
  5. a sharp knife
  6. white paper
  7. paper glue
  8. duct tape (!)
  9. cardboard
  10. a stick
  11. a CFL bulb with hood
Instead of going into a long drawn out description, here are some pics (if you want to know what I did, ask and I will post :) )

mg01.jpg

mg02.jpg

mg03.jpg

mg04.jpg

mg05.jpg

mg06.jpg

I find it hard to believe your ventalation will work... u should have tied teh light to teh lid or sumthin cause u will have to be adjusting it... i liek it tho man.. my advise woudl be to get a stronger fan... u can find strong small convient fans for liek 4 dollasr at wlamrt or eckard even... and one CFL wont be that great for flowering

actually the fan is installed (with screws as well as duct tape) in the side of the can. I have felt the suction from the vented intake on the other side. I was a little paranoid about whether or not there was going to be enough ventilation so I put a board cam in there last night and looked. leaves were moving around nicely :)

thanks bongzilla. u only have room for one plant and access is entirely thru the top. not as nice as some of these speaker boxes (a respectful bow to The Brothers Grunt) or cabinets, but it seems to work so far.

Hi Halftoke

Wicked little setup you have.
I know what you mean when it comes to adding up whats been spent.
Nice way to recycle old computer bits and garden equipment dude.

I'd like to see what this simple device can create, so keep the pictures coming

Good luck

:rolleyes: The Skinmaster :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, "Oscar" is temporarily down for modifications. I had to transplant into a larger pot (3 gal bucket) as the baby was starting to get rootbound. So now the bucket will not fit past the horizontal stick! (*sigh*).

Anyways, after I fix THAT I have to figure a better way of securing everything to the can. Duct tape likes to come loose (a pebble grain sort of exterior. Duct tape likes smooth). I am thinking of using a hotglue gun, any opinions?

(Baby is now inna closet to be flowered. I broke down and spent $10 at home depot for a timer and another $10 at Wally World for an o-fan).

nice lil grow room man that will grow one nice cola! good luck

okay! a year has passed and Oscar is getting a massive renovation. pics soon to follow...

I hope you are using a clone or feminized seeds.. as what if that 1 plant is a male...???

Gotta love that duct tape. How about a used refrigerator? I think it would work great, with a veg chamber upstairs, bloom below, and an electrician I know says there is plenty of room in them to hide the works. Plus people are always trying to dump them off on somebody. Peace on Oscar- can't wait to see the upgrades.

Mr.Wakenbake said:
I hope you are using a clone or feminized seeds.. as what if that 1 plant is a male...???
The pics above were all taken and posted last year. That plant turned out to be female and gave me semi-airy buds under CFL's. I'm going to CFL's again but with higher lumins. I'm also going to make the stick go away and replace it with a system to raise and lower the light thru Oscar's lid and add an additonal fan near the top. I'm still in the process of collecting all the goodies.

MergeLeft said:
Gotta love that duct tape. How about a used refrigerator? I think it would work great, with a veg chamber upstairs, bloom below, and an electrician I know says there is plenty of room in them to hide the works. Plus people are always trying to dump them off on somebody.
Used refrigerator! Damn, why didn't I think of that before?
MergeLeft said:
Peace on Oscar- can't wait to see the upgrades.
As we all know, duct tapes fixes anything.